Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,146 Posts
I found this referenced in the June 2009 edition of Honda Service News:

I noticed a bit of a greasy bottom end when I changed oil a couple days ago. I cleaned it off and will keep an eye on it. I wonder if I'm also beginning to show signs of this... or if the tiny bit of leak I see is related to my tranny change a year ago.

·
Super Moderator
24,146 Posts
I haven't looked again since I last changed the oil... about 4k miles ago. No drips on the garage floor. I noted a similar issue on our Pilot after installing the Fumoto valve. Oily bottom of the pan but no drips. If the FV is the cause, it took a long time for the RL to develop the symptom.

I'm a bit hesitant to use a stop leak type additive in the oil. There may be unintended consequences. That being said, I might consider using some Sea Foam just prior to an oil change. Per the Sea Foam site, use 1 1/2 oz per quart of oil within 100 miles of an oil change. They also caution if using as an after service additive, go no more than 3000 miles before doing an oil change. So I would use this with caution too... and probably just short of diving into the engine.

·
Super Moderator
24,146 Posts
Summary of the fix beginning with a picture of the main bearing cap side bolts by coolbob:

·
Super Moderator
24,146 Posts
Is it safe to assume you ruled out the rear main seal?

Have you ruled out coolant?

And of course, the main bearing side cap bolts that this thread is about?

Can you elaborate on your no loss of fluid comment above (except for the PS fluid?). What's up with the PS fluid leak?

·
Super Moderator
24,146 Posts
I think I made some progress as far as the smell with some extra help.

The oil leaking near the black plate cover does not smell the same as the power steering fluid, both having a not very strong smell that can create some confusion

The one from the oil dipstick smells sntronger like gas, the one from the leak I'm trying to identify has a different smell than all of them but matches the color to the one on the dipstick.

It looks like it is going to be the motor oil. Minutes after washed my hand and ate pasta salad, I went to the garage and opened a quart of oil that had some left. I smelled it and it did not have the gas smell, from the dipstick, my memory is not accurate but I can assure that It may be similar to the one from the leak. My bad, never rely on matching the oil dipstick smell.

My question, if I remove the black plate cover at the bottom, will I be able to see if it's the rear seal leaking?
You might find some of these references useful:
https://www.google.com/search?q=sit...9i57j69i58.16352j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

·
Super Moderator
24,146 Posts
Hi noneill88,
I think I have the same issue with my 2007 Ridgeline. Maybe stupid question…but I’ll ask regardless. Is it necessary to drain the oil before backing up this bolt and seal it or ? My is leaking from the bolt right above the oil drain plug…Thanks in advance.
The SB doesn't mention the need to drain the oil. Everything is above the oil pan, so I wouldn't think you'd need to drain the oil.

Reactions: kaged
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.