Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Oh no! haha, I thought I could just pop it off. It's the one closest to the timing belt. I can crawl underneath and see it.
Page one of this thread has the link for the exact bolt. I did take a photo when I was working on it to show the one that was leaking for me. Hope this helps. The cleanest bolt right above the pan is the one I sealed

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yup, that looks like the one. If I really have to do all that work I might just conduct some periodic cleanings and take care of it when the eventual front end overhaul needs to take place. Either that or before the next set of tires.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, that looks like the one. If I really have to do all that work I might just conduct some periodic cleanings and take care of it when the eventual front end overhaul needs to take place. Either that or before the next set of tires.

Thanks again.
You're welcome. Yeah, mine wasn't at the point of drops on the ground but I had the front end apart so I threw caution in the wind storm. Lol. Have a good one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my 2012 Ridgeline new from Dobbs Honda on Mendenhall (Memphis TN), right from the start I noticed an occasional whiff of something burning when I walked past the truck after driving it. I didn't think it was anything to be concerned about, just 'new car smell'.

Then I started noticing some dark brown oil drips in my garage, none of my previous automobiles leaked and only my truck was parked in that spot, so it had to be coming from the Ridgeline. It was a very minor drip, never affecting the oil level, but annoying and not acceptable for a new vehicle.

After a few months, I took the Ridgeline to Dobbs Honda (using a vacation day and driving 60-miles each way) to have it checked out. After an hour, the service advisor I was working with said the leak was caused by oil spilled during my last oil change. I told him the problem started before my first oil change, but he blew me off. I did not receive any paperwork to document the incident.

Fast forward two years and the leak has gotten a bit bigger, still less than 1/2-quart between oil changes, but the drips in the garage have started to add up and the smell of burning oil has become persistent. I recently took my RL to my local mechanic for an oil change (25k miles on the odometer) and my mechanic tells me he thinks I may have a rear main seal leak and possibly an additional leak since the oil land and trans case were covered in oil.

I made some photos and immediately scheduled an appointment with my Honda dealership, which was recently added to the AutoNation group so it's now AutoNation Honda Mendenhall. I showed Honda Service Advisor Larry Davenport the photos on my phone showing oil all over the bottom of the engine and trans and told me that was not normal or acceptable and that they would find and correct the problem. He also asked me to email the photos to him so he could keep them on file.

The Autonation mechanic suspected the leak might be as simple as a bad seal on the crank position sensor, so they replaced the seal and meticulously cleaned the engine and trans and asked that I check it in a few days and let them know if it was still leaking.

Unfortunately, the leak was not solved by replacing the crank position sensor seal, so I brought my Ridgeline back and I was provided with a loaner vehicle (Enterprise rental, I opted for a 2014 Nissan Frontier). The mechanic was prepared to dive in and replace the rear main seal when he came across a Service Notice for sealing the engine block main bearing cap side bolts. They removed, cleaned and sealed the bolt that seemed to be the source of the leak, oil was running down from the bolt, along the flange at the bottom of the bolt and down between the engine and trans. As per the service bulletin, the bolt was reinstalled using Hondabond HT Silicone Gasket and left to set for 24-hours before the engine was restarted. They drove the truck and are hopeful the leak has been corrected. I drove the 60-miles home and so far, everything looks good. Fingers crossed.

I really appreciate Larry Davenport's taking ownership of the issue, seeing that the problem was fixed and keeping me informed throughout the process.

PS: the Nissan Frontier was peppy, but had a much smaller interior and rode more like a truck. It also got really crappy gas mileage, I usually get 18-19MPG with my RL in my daily driving.
Great post and can relate as of today. I don't know what is going on with my Ridggy but. One rear main oil seal was bad at 49,000 miles I replaced oil pan hondabond prior to shop visit. I also replaced oil sending gasket being in denial of the RMS.Get the truck to shop,confirmed RMS bad.plus oil pan leaking, I knew I did a great job on the pan two years prior.So bla bla bla told Honda shop do the job replace all seals that can be replaced while appart plus do timing belt and all seals cam front crank ect. After big job I checked under truck noticed front right oil pan oil drop sitting there.Brought back for job warranty Not oil pan but they called carriage bolt had to be re honda bonded 3 hrs labor stop I'll do the job.I think the oil pan that I suspected of leaking shop did too and took me down the road of extra cost. Rear main seal was bad but b4 200,000 whaat. It's been leaking like an old Harley.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Update

Well, it's been over 9-months and many thousands of miles and I am pleased to confirm that the leak has not returned. Yeah! (especially since I'm now out of warranty)

Question about the cap bolts. Are the bolts the ones in line with the inspection plate or higher up and not as easy to see/access.

leaking about 4 to 6 ounces every 1 K mikes. 2007 with 88k

·
Premium Member
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
An advisement, I haven't seen many forums with steps involved but if you have any questions let me know. If it's the same one on the engine block as mine was, you'll have to take out the axle to be able to take the bolt out and seal it. Easy enough I did it in a day but needed a trip to the shop for CV grease and a new strap for the CV boot because mine came off lol. Good luck and God bless.

Hi noneill88,
I think I have the same issue with my 2007 Ridgeline. Maybe stupid question…but I’ll ask regardless. Is it necessary to drain the oil before backing up this bolt and seal it or ? My is leaking from the bolt right above the oil drain plug…Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,146 Posts
Hi noneill88,
I think I have the same issue with my 2007 Ridgeline. Maybe stupid question…but I’ll ask regardless. Is it necessary to drain the oil before backing up this bolt and seal it or ? My is leaking from the bolt right above the oil drain plug…Thanks in advance.
The SB doesn't mention the need to drain the oil. Everything is above the oil pan, so I wouldn't think you'd need to drain the oil.

Reactions: kaged

·
Registered
61 Posts
FYI, I'm experiencing a slow leak from the same bolt (right above the drain plug on the passenger side). I've had wetness in the area for 2-3 years, but no drop in dipstick level or any drips on the driveway. In the summer of 2021, I'm leaking enough to put drips on the driveway, but still no appreciable drop in oil level (i'm not topping off).

My plan for the spring (too cold to mess with in the winter) is to just back the bolt out as much as possible (don't want to remove the axle), Clean the washers and exposed threads as much as possible and then apply hondabond to it.

FWIW, I've made long interstate trips with this leak....not worried (but I do check the oil). Will update this thread with my experiment (ie...lazy fix).

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.