Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My battery kept going dead. I charged the battery up. Tonight I noticed that my brake controller is lit up with the truck off. I pulled the three relays that I installed when I originally did the install and the controller stayed lit up. I suspect that there is a relay that's stuck. Any ideas on where to look?

· Registered
5,700 Posts
My battery kept going dead. I charged the battery up. Tonight I noticed that my brake controller is lit up with the truck off. I pulled the three relays that I installed when I originally did the install and the controller stayed lit up. I suspect that there is a relay that's stuck. Any ideas on where to look?
Automatic first question: Do you have an aftermarket hitch harness? Those are FAMOUS for causing various electrical issues over time. If you do, that's certainly one place to suspect.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Automatic first question: Do you have an aftermarket hitch harness? Those are FAMOUS for causing various electrical issues over time. If you do, that's certainly one place to suspect.
Factory hitch. If something was wrong there would my brake controller be on? When I push the brake lever on it it says no trailer is connected. I think it believes the key is in the ignition which is why I suspect a stuck relay. There are so many relays hidden throughout the truck which is why I'm hoping that someone here would know where it lives. I'm surprised it wasn't one of the ones installed during the install.

Thanks. J

· Registered
4,180 Posts
When the brake controller was installed, was the factory pigtail used? It comes with the hitch wiring kit, and IIRC has four wires to go from the brake controller to a connector up under the steering wheel.

Chip H.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When the brake controller was installed, was the factory pigtail used? It comes with the hitch wiring kit, and IIRC has four wires to go from the brake controller to a connector up under the steering wheel.

Chip H.

Yep all oem kit installed by me. Hitch, wiring etc... I don't recall the controller being constantly on. Is it suppose to be on and lit up when the truck is off? I'd think no.

· Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
24,636 Posts
Your process seems reasonable thus far. I don't have any idea about whether your brake controller should be lit up or not, but I suspect not.

See if Eric has any suggestions to help you track down the parasitic draw:

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,891 Posts
Well if your really thinking it's a Relay related to the OEM harness,

Here is your install instructions for a starting point.

2007-08 OEM Hitch Harness Install Instructions

And for those too lazy to go look I'm attaching the file after breaking the original file into small enough pieces to attach...:grin:

Attachments

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since this started after a dead battery, maybe it would be worth a shot to reboot by unhooking the battery.
Something is draining (did drain) the battery. It has been consistently doing it for the last few months. I pulled the battery and charged it back up, by doing that it should have 'rebooted'. I'm not sure how rebooting has anything to do with a power drain.

I suspect that the brake controller (relay) has caused the problem and isn't the effect from draining the battery. Chicken vs egg problem.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well if your really thinking it's a Relay related to the OEM harness,

Here is your install instructions for a starting point.

2007-08 OEM Hitch Harness Install Instructions
Thanks for the link. As noted above I've pulled all three relays with them out the controller is still on. From best I can tell none of those relays have anything to do with the controller.

Perhaps its supposed to be always on? My phantom drain could be coming from somewhere else, or perhaps my controller is suppose to be turning itself off after some bit of time and its malfunctioning?

I might just unplug it and see the battery still drains.

Surely (don't call me Shirley :)) someone with a controller can turn there truck off and see if it turns off.

Thanks everyone I do appreciate the help.

· Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Ok, I missed that part, but if you look at the wiring diagram on page 10, I believe if I'm interpreting the diagram correctly, the trailer harness is connected to the battery, without a relay in between and to ground.

BTW, looking at the diagram further there is a 20A fuse, possibly number (6), you could pull that and it should shut down the controller

Attachments

· Premium Member
1,825 Posts
I'm not sure how rebooting has anything to do with a power drain.
So many systems are tied into/controlled by the computer that I thought it would be a quick and easy thing to try. When troubleshooting computer problems, a reboot is most often the first thing that I suggest and it often solves the problem. Good luck on finding your problem.

· Registered
94 Posts
I just put in my brake controller last fall. It's a Tekonsha P3 and mine also stayed on all the time. And from what I remember this model does this until you hook a trailer to the truck for the first time.

Also the brake controller is intended to stay on after the truck is off for a short period and I don't believe it's controlled by relays (just a fuse) as if you wanted/needed to use your trailer brakes with the truck off you wouldn't be able to.

I have not tried mine with a trailer yet, but I mounted it in a way that it was removable when not in use so its currently un-plugged in the glove box.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
I suspect that the brake controller (relay) has caused the problem and isn't the effect from draining the battery. Chicken vs egg problem.
I'm guessing if you want to verify (should it be on or off.... is there automatic/delayed shutdown intended?), your best bet is to call customer service for the brand of your brake controller.

· Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm guessing if you want to verify (should it be on or off.... is there automatic/delayed shutdown intended?), your best bet is to call customer service for the brand of your brake controller.
I'm curious if the power from the ridgeline is powering the controller all the time. From the best I can tell it is but would like confirmation from another owner that, that is how Homda intended it to be. My power drain could very well be coming from something else.

· Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
Wise, There is no switch and Legg has already confirmed that it is wired directly and is live all the time, the controller should be turning off not the circuit. See attached

Attachments

· Registered
5,700 Posts
I'm curious if the power from the ridgeline is powering the controller all the time. From the best I can tell it is but would like confirmation from another owner that, that is how Homda intended it to be. My power drain could very well be coming from something else.
Bear with me Wizeguy..... Confirmation from another owner that "it turns off" (which I think is what you are asking), will only tell you that it's turned off; NOT whether the "RL is powering the controller all the time". The schematic shown above (thanks to Legg & Carsmak) indicates that the RL DOES power it all the time (presuming no error in this schematic). What it doesn't & can't tell you is whether or not your CONTROLLER has switching features that should be shutting it down (automatically or manually). You need to get that info about your controller.

I guess if you are hoping a member here has your exact same controller, then I understand your question.... but your controller technical data (or a customer service rep) should tell you what "should" be happening as well.

Maybe someone here DOES have your same controller & will chime in, but in the mean time, you should be able to get this info straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.

· Super Moderator
7,891 Posts
... What it doesn't & can't tell you is whether or not your CONTROLLER has switching features that should be shutting it down (automatically or manually). You need to get that info about your controller.

I guess if you are hoping a member here has your exact same controller, then I understand your question.... but your controller technical data (or a customer service rep) should tell you what "should" be happening as well.

Maybe someone here DOES have your same controller & will chime in, but in the mean time, you should be able to get this info straight from the horses mouth, so to speak.
Which my question is What Brake Controller do you have Wise? I haven't found that in your posts so far, maybe I missed it? I'll gladly research it if you could post YMM info on your brake controller.

(Year, Make, Model)

· Registered
4,180 Posts
Yes, check the controller manual and see if it is supposed to go to sleep after a period of inactivity.

If it doesn't have a sleep mode, or you can't exchange it for one that works correctly, a switch could be added to the 12v line on the controller wiring.

Chip H.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.