Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Trunk for Battery Trade

• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you give up the trunk/spare tire on the ridgeline for a battery that gave you a ~35 mile range of EV driving and a hybrid system? This would also mean a $7,500 Federal Tax Credit and in many states a rebate as well.

I would in a second.

·
Premium Member
4,011 Posts
I vote no on losing the trunk, except I voted before reading the thread! Doh! :rolleyes::eek:(n)

Otherwise, yes, would love a hybrid. They need to increase spring rate to maintain payload.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I vote no on losing the trunk, except I voted before reading the thread! Doh! :rolleyes::eek:(n)

Otherwise, yes, would love a hybrid. They need to increase spring rate to maintain payload.
You can change your vote. View the results and the option to change is there...at least it was for me.

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
As small as the batteries are becoming, I think that you could lose a bit of trunk and still have a hybrid.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,197 Posts
RIdgeline can't loose the trunk; its a huge part of what makes it a superior product.
Hybrid manufacturers (Toyota especially) have become quite masterful at battery packaging and very little if any is lost between their hybrid and non hybrid variants. Take the new Rav4 as an example; zero difference in the ample passenger and cargo space between the two models. You can bet Toyota engineered the platform to go both ways from the get go. Current Ridgeline's undercarriage is far from flat with areas that hang down and areas that don't. With good engineering building a platform with the batteries low and not intruding in the cabin space should be doable. For a full PHEV platform that might be a bit of a stretch. Still, get rid of the rear driveshaft and the rear differential and use two outboard rear electric motors and you would have a good amount of otherwise occupied space to play around with. The space occupied by the driveshaft alone is pretty large.
Basically you need another option(s) in the Poll. Hybrid with full trunk and even PHEV with full trunk. Perhaps the spare tire might need to get molded into the side/front of the bed somehow?
Towing? Compromising tow capacity for the Hybrid / PHEV model would be acceptable IMHO.
MPG? The replacement for my GenI is going to have to do MUCH better than 20mpg overall. Its going to have to be built well too. . .

·
Registered
76 Posts
Be careful what you wish for - you just might get it.
Is that true!? I wish for more clearance. I wish for a lift kit that doesn’t shut down my extended warranty.

I’ll let you know if it works! ;-)

Reactions: zroger73

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I think it would be a great option but don’t change the whole line. It would also be a great retrofit, depending on cost.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts