Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the nit-picks with the 06 set up is night illumination, color continuity, intensity and general cosmetics.

When I installed the Pioneer a while back, tweaking back light color and selecting a home screen image from default memory helped integrate it with the HVAC cluster (read: make them dull green). That seemed OK. Until a “new” Moto X replaced a tired Samsung S4. As soon as it was placed in the Kenu airframe, immediately to the left of the Pioneer, the spectacle of color discontinuity grabbed my attention. Nothing available in stock images - Pioneer or Moto - would settle the visual argument glaring at the driver. That was Friday.

It was time to make use of the white LEDs sitting in a box for over a year now. The ones I keep forgetting to install whenever the dash is out. So I did that. But the T4’s are nowhere to be found. UHG. Go with what you have at least the dark switches I’ve been living with are working.

While the dash was out, installed a couple of connection ports to enhance user experience and support future audio tweaks.

Fab’d up a 3.5mm analog port – in this application, its not really about supporting analog input from music players, although it can be used for that. Its about providing an input to the HU for a frequency generator. With this in place, broad spectrum noise - or single sine waves - can be fed to the port for RTA analysis and frequency/level adjustments - that'll come later when other parts of the audio project FINALLY come together.

Aux_Port.jpg

Also installed a Neutrik pass-thru USB. This makes it simple/easy to connect an iPod or flash drive as a file server to the Pioneer DAC. It’s not as easy to reach the port as the female USB A pig tail that used to be there, but its out of the way and eliminates coiled excess cable in the pocket. Neat spot for the 3.5mm port too.

Aux_And_USB_Night.jpg

So… with the white LEDs in place, experimenting with back ground colors created on the PC/saved as .jpg’s began. At first, green was the focus because the center HVAC cluster is still glowing green. NAH. That ain’t gonna work.

Green.jpg

Needed a black back drop with minimal white content. Found an image that was almost right. A little tweaking, this came out.

Black.jpg

Then loaded it to the Pioneer.

Pioneer_Screen_1.jpg

First time with the lights off. More tweaks needed. On an effort scale, this was literally nothing. A little time at the computers, importing to devices and off you go. That's an old school Magellan GPS off to the right - in night mode. Gotta love gadgets, huh?

Night.jpg

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Very nice oh six.. One quick question, I like your phone holder and how you have charger wire through vent? May I ask what kind of holder is that? I have the Samsung galaxy S5..

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
Reactions: OhSix

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Very nice oh six.. One quick question, I like your phone holder and how you have charger wire through vent? May I ask what kind of holder is that? I have the Samsung galaxy S5..
The mount currently in use is a "Kenu Airframe". Think it's the $20 version in this link. Amazon.com: kenu airframe: Cell Phones & Accessories

Speed mentioned a similar air vent mount using a magnet - I strongly recommend his solution. The Kenu is nice but the spring loaded clamping mechanism and silly-cone grip can make releasing the mobile a b!tch. The magnet mount is secure and allows one handed release by a quick tilt of the phone. When the Kenu dies a natural death, it'll be replaced with a magnet mount. Love the line-of-sight height of vent mounts - but resist the temptation to mess with things while driving. Be safe out there!

On USB micro thru the vent, did that a while back. Used a step down regulated supply like this http://www.amazon.com/KEEDOX%C2%AE-Converter-Power-Supply-Module/dp/B00A71CMDU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1455803668&sr=1-1&keywords=keedox+5+volt. At 2 to 3 amps, it supplies enough current to power all sorts of 5V devices. I really hate wires hanging between accessories - and love using stand alone dedicated GPS from time to time, so I use the power supply to feed the phone and GPS. Couple of images for your review...

Wiring has evolved since this first effort, much different now but... the 5V supply is very current efficient, it's fed by the factory accessory supply to the radio:
20141119_122333_11.jpg

Small hole for the cable to GPS:

GPS_Power.jpg

And the phone thru the airduct. Used a grommet, because: a) had a bunch in the hardware bins b) reduce air leaks c) eliminate wire chaffing d) satisfies OCD d) had a bunch in hardware bins e) satisfies OCD f) OCD g) OCD h) LOL!

AirDuct2.jpg

BTW: in my line of work, dissecting USB cables is a somewhat regular thing. Dime a dozen kind of thing. In every case, +/- color codes are consistent and universal. Red is + black is -. Easy-peasy. If you choose to do something similar, you'll likely find green & white lines inside the sheath. Plus a bare wire, Those three are data +, data - , the bare wire is shield. Leave those disconnected, trimmed back. This is how I joined the GPS & USB cables for connection to the 5V supply

USB Adapt.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
Heh! My OCD won't let me drill holes in the dash. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts