Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Green is the 12+ Ignition and Blue is the reverse. I decided to only install one since it sits nicely in there. They are a 55 watt H3 bulb in a glass housing that acts as a flood light. I picked a set up for $40. They go on auction every so often for $35. There is a relay and a fuse.

They are a

One of my JDM Philips Ultinon LEDs was bad so have one in the reverse lights. You can see the difference.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK but I will say that I have ran these on two different trucks already and it definitely beats the stock config by a mile. This can be done with other fog lights but this is truly a food light patter that throws light everywhere with blinding people. If you want to do this with a high wattage lamp and need a schematic of how to make your own wiring hit me up.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I'm running Philips Extreme Ultinon LED T20 (from Japan) reverse lamps (on one side at the time) which are bright and white but they cost $60 to import.
The PIAA had the original H3 which is yellowish. I now switched to Silverstar H3 to get a whiter light and it has helped reduce the hot spot. It was also aimed down a bit to be kind to others. The whole truck has LEDs everywhere. 100% LED.

****IF you use the PIAA wire harness you need to install a quenching diode!**** It does not have one and I noticed a pop in the stereo speakers when shifting out of reverse and traced it to the relay. I think it was causing a spike and back feeding into the stereo via the BU camera circuit. Look for my post on using relays with a quenching diode.

I installed car stereo/alarms and modded rigs in general for 20+ years & Air Force electronics tech back when they trained you down to component level. Not smart but not dumb either.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Very Nice work, and I am assuming this install would work on any vehicle specifically a G1

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This will work on any truck. Basically its all the same. Its just easier if it has a 7 pin trailer plug. I ran the full 2 light kit on my other trucks. I had a 97 Dakota, 07 Tacoma, 11 Tundra.

The RL is the first that ever needed the quenching diode and I had cameras on the last two trucks also, so its definitely an RL thing.

LEDs are just superior if you buy the RIGHT ones. The best ones are the Philips Xtreme Ultinon from Japan. They'e brighter, use less current, last longer and light up quicker and have a better color.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts