Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
PIAA Performance LEDs 17201 & 17202 are PHENOMENAL!!!

The absolute best lighting / “bulbs” money I’ve ever invested (and that is saying a lot as I’ve had 33 vehicles in my young 48 years with bulb replacements and added auxiliary light kits on almost every vehicle). ;-)

The best “stock” headlights I’ve ever had (by a long shot) are the Quad LED Projectors that are in my current 2015 Honda Accord Hybrid (HAH) Touring model.

And now I just added two (2) sets of PIAA LED’s to my wife’s New 2017 Honda Ridgeline RT-S, stock Low Beam Projectors and the stock Fog Lights. Previously, before these new PIAA LEDs…the very best after market lighting that I’d ever added to a vehicle was the Original PIAA Pro 90’s w/120W Driving Lights & 85W Fog Projector Lamps (on our ’97 Dodge Cummins Extra Cab). And I have to admit that these new LED’s are very similar to what I remember getting out of the ole PIAA Pro 90’s (VERY IMPRESSIVE).

I just cannot say enough about these PIAA Performance LEDs, both the 17201 I put into the High Beam Spot on my Honda Accord Hybrid Touring, and the two (2) sets of 17202s on the Ridgeline. Again, these have made the Ridgeline’s lighting AMAZING…I am dead serious…the difference in Honda’s Low Beam Projectors with “yellowy” stock H11’s and the stock Fog Lights w/H8’s compared with these PIAA LED’s is like NIGHT and DAY…there really is no comparison (and nobody is flashing me with either the Accord or Ridgeline, but I am very conscious about lowering my High Beams, too…otherwise someone would be saying, “Cheese”). :)

Even with all the pictures PIAA has at their website...no pictures can show what a HUGE difference they are...so I have not driven a RTL-E or BE at night (with their LED headlights)...but I would assume that they are as good as these PIAAs.

The only thing that could make these PIAA LED’s any better…would be if PIAA could somehow engineer them to still work in low voltage scenarios (like Daytime Running Lights DLR)…as my wife’s Ridgeline is NOT one of the models w/LED DLR (her Ridgeline uses the High Beam at lower voltage for DLR’s…so I put the PIAA Extreme White 9005/HB3 #19615 that I’d just taken out of my HAH Touring into the Ridgeline…so, the Ridgeline is not as spectacular on High Beams…BUT AGAIN, a MASSIVE improvement with the PIAA LEDs in the Projectors and Fogs, MASSIVE IMPROVEMENT!!! :)

· Registered
246 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry everyone (I wasn't getting the notices of any questions...I have to plead ignorant being new). ;-)

Also sorry for...no before and after pics...not even PIAA's own pics on their website would do them justice (I think). But I should have in retrospect on my wife's Ridgeline (because for the Ridgeline it was MASSIVE). ...I think the ole iPhone 6s Plus would have taken a better shots that even PIAA's. ;-)

On my Accord Hybrid Touring it was just the High Beams since it already had the Honda Quad LED that were already great (but still BIG difference on High Beam on the Accord too...clearly almost the same exact color)

Here is the First Set of 3 Pics, which are Projector Low Beam only (and we have a steep driveway that comes from the side)...the Second Set of 3 coming in moments are the Projectors and the Fog (where the Fogs spray much more light everywhere and wide to the side).

Attachments

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here are the Second Set of 3 which are the Projectors and the Fog (where the Fogs spray much more light everywhere and wide to the side).

These were $218 on Amazon or $254 with Amazon Prime Shipping...Same PIAA Part #17202 / which works for both H8 Fogs / H11 Low Beam Projectors.

I did notice their lil' fan huuummming sound when I took the pictures this evening.

Attachments

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have PIAA Extremes in all frt lights. Have been very happy with light output. Would definitely look at putting their Leds in. Will wait for pics and pricing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I would agree Rob...in almost all of my vehicles over the years...it has been an automatic to replace "stock" bulbs with the PIAA Extreme White Plus or Plasma's in older days. But I have also noticed that a better brighter bulb seems to go out quicker. Thus, my "stock pile" of PIAA Bulbs. So, once I saw that PIAA (a name brand that I've trusted for a long time with Japanese technology) had LED's I was all over that.
:grin:

I actually paid the $254 price so that they would be sold and delivered by Amazon and Prime Shipping (with their great return policy). So, now that I have them...and see how TOTALLY AWESOME they are...a person could buy the $218 (slower boat from Japan) and probably be just as happy.
:wink:

They clearly clear everything on the back side with their built in fans...but I did need my wife's smaller hands to help mount/zip tie the PIAA high quality lil' boxes when it came to cinching up the Fog Lights (she is a trooper).

· Registered
1,264 Posts
TEK Rider. I was following a few threads about Leds in halogen bulb lenses. They don't project the same? Have you noticed any change in beam patterns, high or low. I quess you would really notice in foggy conditions.

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just an FYI ... >:)

When handling bulb or LED, try not to let it directly touching your fingers/hands/body skin etc. ( use glove ). ( LED more tolerance but still affects )

The oil from our body effects the lifespan of the bulb/LED :wink: :|
Absolutely correct! I've never even wanted them to touch anything while putting them in either (which as been hard on some rigs, but NOT the Ridgeline). :smile:

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
TEK Rider. I was following a few threads about Leds in halogen bulb lenses. They don't project the same? Have you noticed any change in beam patterns, high or low. I quess you would really notice in foggy conditions.

Yes, that is absolutely correct again...I can see how NOT all LEDs would work like the PIAA's...the PIAA's are adjustable (so they do project the same, just bright White like daylight and not annoying blue). I'll try to explain...

PIAA allows the "bulb" to rotate separately to the housing and base...so that a person can align the bulbs to the reflectors perfectly. In the case of the RL...PIAA has already set the 17202's (which are used on both the H8 Fogs and H11 Low Beam Projectors) were set perfectly...I just made sure they were tightened down with the included allen/hex wrench.

I do not have the PIAA's in the High Beam location because my wife's RL is an RTS (so its DRL run on low voltage from the High Beams rather than having a the LED DRL on higher end models)...other wise I would have put PIAA LED's in the High Beam location, too...like I did on my Accord Hybrid Touring.

So, on my 2015 Accord Hybrid Touring (where I installed the 17201's PIAA / HB3/9005 equivalent)...I DID have to adjust / rotate the bulbs 25 degrees so that the LED's are facing the reflectors correctly.

Again something where I feel PIAA is superior...they don't come out with something until it is ready and working correctly (so not sure about other brands, but I'm guessing they were not engineered to be adjustable as they should have been).

Here is PIAA's link to the English Instructions that explain all the above. Plus, the 17202's I got...both boxes had Japanese instructions so a person might need this link anyway. :wink:

http://www.piaa.com/Shared/instructions/LED_BULB_H8-H9-H11-H16.pdf

Enjoy! :smile:

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BIG News for those that want to Upgrade their RT, RTS, Sport, or RTL to the LED "Swoosh" DRLs or even the Honda "Stock" LED Projectors that come on the RTL-E or Black Editions.

The www.HardTopGuy.com just came out with a Plug & Play wiring harness solution to make it happen!

He also offers Genuine Honda RTL-T or RTL-E Headlight Assemblies...that are real Honda Parts for sure with no chance of eBay or Craig's List weirdness. :)

So with this new plug & play solution...I decided to go ahead and buy the RTL-E Headlight Assembly (which also has the Honda LED Low Beam Projectors)...so now I'll be taking out my beloved PIAA Performance LED bulbs to put them into my daughters Civic instead. ;)

Below is the review that I just left on www.HardTopGuy.com web site...enjoy!!! :)

I have to say this is an AWESOME upgrade for any RT, RTS, Sport, or RTL owner who is looking to MASSIVELY improve both their "Cool Factor" and Safety Factor with the LED DRL "Swoosh". Plus, the MUCH improved Honda LED Projector Low Beams, too. I have an RTS that has gone from night to day. Just like the CBS Evening News, and Consumer Reports also featured this same Headlight Assembly and the Ridgelines that have these head lamps.

Next, I'm going to put some PIAA LEDs in the High Beam spot so a person can light up the night when nobody is around (of course). :)

Jeff was super nice via email and even on the phone. It's always fun to talk to someone who also really appreciates making detailed things simple for others with Professionally Engineered Mods that are Plug and Play rather than some home hack job. ;)

So, I highly recommend this!!! You will not regret getting this upgrade!!! Far as I'm concerned worth every penny to satisfy my wife who wanted the simpler feature set of the RTS, but still get the safety and cool of the RTL-E or for those that don't want the LED Projectors...they can get the less expensive RTL-T lights that still have safety and cool factor with the LED DRL Swoosh. :) Either way is a WIN!​

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
So in preparing to put in the new RTL-E Headlight Assemblies with the LED "Swoosh" and Honda LED Projectors...I took out the PIAA LEDs that I had put in our RTS's Projector location (since the new lamps come with LEDs in the Projector location already).

So in the pictures below you can see how much dimmer and "warmer" the "stock" halogens are compared to the PIAA pictures from earlier posts...and/or also how much dimmer they are compared to the PIAA Performance LEDs that are still in our Fog Light Locations (just not even close). ;)

A person has to keep in mind my driveway is slanted...so it's tilted to the driver's side.

Attachments

· Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Does anyone know if the fogs are CANBUS? I'd like to upgrade to LEDs too but don't want to deal with any electrical issues.
I have not had any electrical problems...and so far everyone that I know and/or have read about that have also replaced their fogs with LED's (and not just PIAA Performance LED)...have reported no problems.

Hope that helps! :)

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.