Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, all.
New to the forum but have been lurking for a year or so, entertaining the idea of buying a Ridgeline. Thanks to all for your informative posts.
On the Friday after Christmas I noticed a local dealership had a ‘20 RTL-E, lunar silver/ black interior. Got a good internet price quote and after test driving it I liked it. I was surprised they stuck to the quote. Traded in my beloved Accord coupe and brought the RL home. So far, so good. I was holding out for a ‘20 in hopes that they’d give me a volume knob on the head unit, among other things. Oh well. I was apprehensive about the 9AT but it shifts smoothly. No abrupt shifting. Time will tell if it’s reliable. Love the interior and the ride. Yes, the grey wheels are kind of drab but I honestly don’t mind them with the silver truck. On the plus side they’re easy to clean. The push button shifting is taking some getting used to. I find the auto engine idle stop feature to be silly and annoying (IMHO) and I disable it at all times. I’m still in the honeymoon phase but so far I’m pleased. Got good ceramic tint installed today. Next I plan to go down the rabbit hole of finding a bed cover. I know there’s 300+ pages on the topic and I’m reading back to front. The FL sun takes a toll on plastic. Sorry so long-winded. Thanks for adding me to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
4,959 Posts
Welcome to the ROC, @BBQ4U. You will enjoy the Ridgeline more and more as you drive it. Don't get too bogged down in the Tonneau thread. I personally have the UnderCover UltraFlex. The carpeted underside of the cover is nice and matches my BedRug.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Greetings, all.
New to the forum but have been lurking for a year or so, entertaining the idea of buying a Ridgeline. Thanks to all for your informative posts.
On the Friday after Christmas I noticed a local dealership had a ‘20 RTL-E, lunar silver/ black interior. Got a good internet price quote and after test driving it I liked it. I was surprised they stuck to the quote. Traded in my beloved Accord coupe and brought the RL home. So far, so good. I was holding out for a ‘20 in hopes that they’d give me a volume knob on the head unit, among other things. Oh well. I was apprehensive about the 9AT but it shifts smoothly. No abrupt shifting. Time will tell if it’s reliable. Love the interior and the ride. Yes, the grey wheels are kind of drab but I honestly don’t mind them with the silver truck. On the plus side they’re easy to clean. The push button shifting is taking some getting used to. I find the auto engine idle stop feature to be silly and annoying (IMHO) and I disable it at all times. I’m still in the honeymoon phase but so far I’m pleased. Got good ceramic tint installed today. Next I plan to go down the rabbit hole of finding a bed cover. I know there’s 300+ pages on the topic and I’m reading back to front. The FL sun takes a toll on plastic. Sorry so long-winded. Thanks for adding me to the forum.
Excellent, I am looking at the same truck. And you answered my question about the engine idle stop feature, and that it can be disabled.

Question, how's the shifting through the paddles? Ive had Acura MDX service loaners with the ZF9, and found the paddle shifting very responsive. Better than on my 2012 Acura TL AWD.

Enjoy your new truck! :) JB

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bottom button shown in the photo disables the auto engine idle cutoff feature. It's become muscle memory for me to press it after starting the truck. With it engaged there is a hesitation when you put your foot on the accelerator coming off of a stop. Hate it. I'm no engineer but I imagine it's not healthy for your starter either.

Sorry to admit I've been remiss in my duties as a new RL owner. Haven't driven using the paddle shifters yet but I'll get on task and get back to you. I'm 3 weeks into ownership and have about 600 miles on the clock. So far I'm pleased!

I'll add that the braking took some getting used to, coming off of a '17 Accord Coupe Touring model. That car stopped on a dime. Apples and oranges. I've adapted but I wonder how the brakes will be when towing a trailer.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
The Piloteers have been playing around with ways to keep Idle Stop turned off by modifying the switch connections. They seem to have succeeded, but I think you have to put up with the alert warning on your dash.

·
Administrator
13,718 Posts
I'm no engineer but I imagine it's not healthy for your starter either.
Models with idle stop have a different (heavy duty) starter and an AGM (as opposed to FLA) battery. The starter will likely be working long after your ownership period even if you were to use the truck as a rural mail delivery vehicle. :)

I'll add that the braking took some getting used to, coming off of a '17 Accord Coupe Touring model. That car stopped on a dime.
Keep in mind your Ridgeline weighs about 1,000 lbs. more than your Accord.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Greetings, all.

Can you please check on your 2020 that if you have the heated seats on and then turn the truck off. After when you re-start do they come back on in whatever setting you had previous? In my wife's pilot it does remember the setting however I just picked up my new RL and it does not remember and I wish it did.

·
Administrator
13,718 Posts
Can you please check on your 2020 that if you have the heated seats on and then turn the truck off. After when you re-start do they come back on in whatever setting you had previous? In my wife's pilot it does remember the setting however I just picked up my new RL and it does not remember and I wish it did.
The 2020 Ridgeline Owner's Manual states, "When the power mode is turned on after it is turned off, the previous setting of front seat heaters is maintained."

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's what the manual says for the 2020 Ridgeline: "When the power mode is turned on after it is turned off, the previous setting of front seat heaters and ventilators is maintained."
I will need to check this out and see if that is the case. Will let you know.

·
Registered
280 Posts
My 2018 RL Sport AWD brakes feel a tad on the mushy side sometimes but I have found that if I barely tap the brake and then apply pressure they are pumped all the way up and much more responsive. Don't know if this will work on them all but it is worth a try.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's what the manual says for the 2020 Ridgeline: "When the power mode is turned on after it is turned off, the previous setting of front seat heaters and ventilators is maintained."
I will need to check this out and see if that is the case. Will let you know.
OK. I checked it out on my 2020 Ridgeline. The seat heaters do indeed maintain the previous setting after shutting off the engine and starting it back up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Something must be wrong with mine then cause our pilot does it too. Today then when I remote started it the seat wouldn't even come on. I had to turn the car off and then on again to activate it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 2020 Ridgeline Owner's Manual states, "When the power mode is turned on after it is turned off, the previous setting of front seat heaters is maintained."

View attachment 398926
It doesn't state that in the 2019 owners manual and I did get a 2019. I doubt that would be a feature change going from 2019-2020. It shows the same push button 1-4 in the Canadian version but not that it remembers the setting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats. On the auto stop feature, I’ve learned that if I ease my foot off brake just a hair, the engine will restart and there is no delay when I hit the gas. That’s become second nature, especially when I need to make a quick maneuvering like a left turn with oncoming traffic. And, as you say, easy enough to disable the feature although it is a pain to do it on every drive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What is it that people dislike (hate) auto engine idle cut off feature ?

I had it on my 2014 Accord HYbrid and loved it, I thought it was a nice feature.

Yes there is more use of the starter but I would assume the starters are built to take it.

Ralph

·
Administrator
13,718 Posts
What is it that people dislike (hate) auto engine idle cut off feature ?

I had it on my 2014 Accord HYbrid and loved it, I thought it was a nice feature.

Yes there is more use of the starter but I would assume the starters are built to take it.

Ralph
1. Some people like my mother are startled when the engine stops or they're afraid it won't restart and they'll be stuck on the road. What they may not realize is that the engine and battery are constantly monitored. If the battery doesn't have a sufficient charge or there are any problems detected, the idle stop feature won't shut off the engine. My mother was forced to get used to it after buying a new Equinox that does not have a button to temporarily disable the feature. After a few weeks, she gained confidence in the system and no longer gives it a second thought.

2. Unlike gasoline-powered vehicles that typically use a starter motor with a Bendix gear that engages with teeth on a flywheel, hybrids use an integrated motor-generator that is constantly engaged with the engine resulting in smoother, quieter starts with fewer components to wear.

3. Correct. Gasoline-powered vehicles with idle stop use heavy-duty starters and batteries.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts