Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm new to the ROC (been lurking for a few weeks). I was able to get a white RT at $500 over invoice ($25,978), and the dealer threw in a factory tow package for free. I think I got a little shafted on my trade ( $9,500 for my '01 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab AWD w/ tow package and some extra bells & whistles, 56K miles and clean), but overall I think I made out OK. My only problem is that my wife likes the Ridgeline too much! She insisted on taking it to work today instead of leaving it home for me to play with! Waaaaa!

As for the shopping experience, I went to three dealers last Thursday, and every one of them refused to budge a cent on the MSRP, although their trade-in numbers were anywhere from $8,500 to $12,000. When I commented on how they were all refusing to give me a break on the sticker price, they all answered that my Dakota was "only worth $8,500" and that they could give me that for my trade and take the extra off the MSRP instead if it would make me feel better. Ah, the Numbers Game....

I ended up sending out an email quote request to another dealer who came back with the $500 over invoice offer. A little negotiating, and I had myself a new truck. This guy was no-pressure, no-hassle. I think it was his attitude more than anything that made the sale. Don't get me wrong--he wanted to sell me a truck. But he wasn't obnoxious or pushy about it and was willing to go the extra mile when needed.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to Christmas this year. I think rear splash guards and maybe fog lights might find their way under the tree....

--

JafaDog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
626 Posts
Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to the ROC! Get yerself a nice ROC sticker for xmas too, while you're at it... it'll look great on your white truck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. And yeah, an ROC sticker is definitely in the works. I don't think I can wait for Christmas for that, though!

--

Jafadog
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,392 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,242 Posts
Welcome, JafaDog and congrats on your new RL. IMHO, internet bidding is the only way to buy a vehicle now days. I have purchased my last three vehicles that way, and they all have been no-hassle transactions with very good prices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Truckin' said:
Welcome, JafaDog. I love your avatar and I'm curious about your name.
The avatar is a small black & white version of something I slapped together for my side business:

http://www.jafadog.com/

As for the name, it's an old college nickname. Not quite sure how I got it. The Jafa part is an acronym for "Just Another F***ing A**hole. :D

A funny side note to that: I was at a Honda dealer last week shopping (the salesman wasn't being very cooperative), and he asked me for an email address that he could email me at. Since I have my own domain, I can "make up" addresses on the fly and they go to my main mailbox. Anyway, I told this dealer that he could send emails to "[email protected]" He was writing it down and spelled "jafa" wrong, so I told him what it stood for so he could spell it correctly, and he misunderstood me and thought that I was calling him a f***ing a**hole. Too funny! Needless to say, he didn't get my business.

--

JafaDog
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,577 Posts
JAFA, I don't think you should wait 'til Christmas to put those mud guards on. You can get them online for $50 and slap 'em on in 5 minutes. They will protect most of your new baby's rear bottom side from getting prematurely scuffed up, and they just make the truck look better. Besides the hitch, those are the only accessories I've added to mine.

Have fun with your new toy. It is awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
Nice, I got mine for 900.00 over invoice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
RidgeOwner3 said:
JAFA, I don't think you should wait 'til Christmas to put those mud guards on. You can get them online for $50 and slap 'em on in 5 minutes. They will protect most of your new baby's rear bottom side from getting prematurely scuffed up, and they just make the truck look better. Besides the hitch, those are the only accessories I've added to mine.
Good advice. I had actually planned on getting them very soon since they aren't that costly (although it makes me wonder why Honda would decide to put guards on the front but not the back--my Dakota had none on it--had to buy all four). You'd figure Honda would slap four of 'em on seeing as how they wouldn't affect the price all that much. And it definitely looks better with four (not to mention the extra protection).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bonerep said:
Nice, I got mine for 900.00 over invoice.
For your RTL, that's significant. What did you do, hold the salesman hostage? :D

I also like the Retrax tonneau cover, but they are expensive! I paid $400 for a custom-made rail system cover with snaps for my Dakota that was made of heavy-duty boat canvas, and I loved it. But I always thought that I had to be smoking crack to pay $400 for a cover. Needless to say, I'll be brushing a lot of snow out of the Ridgeline's bed this winter....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Got truck (Northern Calif) UNDER invoice

The dealers here in Northern California are slashing prices to the bone and they are going for way under invoice. I'm going to print how we purchased ours on the ROC...but sent it to T-Mac first...to make sure I don't break any rules.
We got our RT for $1000 UNDER invoice, or below $25,000. If anyone wants to know where, I'd be glad to give out the Dealership name/location if you are local. They had plenty of trucks on the lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Hey JafaDog, welcome to the club. Sounds like you did your homework and get the best deal you could. I picked up my Blue RTS, last month and have not looked back. Here in California, you can find that most dealers are selling the Ridgeline for under invoice, but the taxes, license, and title really jack up the final cost. Also, I got my rear mud flaps online from H & A and had them on in 15 minutes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
JafaDog said:
Hey all. I'm new to the ROC (been lurking for a few weeks). I was able to get a white RT at $500 over invoice ($25,978), and the dealer threw in a factory tow package for free.
...Anyway, I'm looking forward to Christmas this year. I think rear splash guards and maybe fog lights might find their way under the tree....
Welcome to the ROC and congrats on your purchase! ....you have excellent taste in color and accessories! :cool:

About 6 weeks ago, I bought the same vehicle for about $170 over invoice, but then paid their retail installed price for foglights and tow package. So I think we got about the same deal. I am happy with what I was able to get, and REAL happy with the truck!

Be sure to stop by 'Color My World' and vote, we of the vanilla flavor are a minority around here [a good thing] and need to be sure we are properly represented!

BTW, I've been keeping track.... the other White RT members I know of are BigBlockDodge, cnj, and PlainWhiteRidge.

Let us know how it goes....
 
L

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Welcome to the ROC family jafadog..we're glad you're here!!
I love the name..I love the avatar..I love story with the salesman...I love that you bought a Ridgeline and joined our club. Oh heck-bee-do...it's a great day on the ROC!!
Keep coming back....it's a great place to be!!
Enjoy the ride!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
farmguy said:
Welcome to the ROC and congrats on your purchase! ....you have excellent taste in color and accessories! :cool:

About 6 weeks ago, I bought the same vehicle for about $170 over invoice, but then paid their retail installed price for foglights and tow package. So I think we got about the same deal. I am happy with what I was able to get, and REAL happy with the truck!

Be sure to stop by 'Color My World' and vote, we of the vanilla flavor are a minority around here [a good thing] and need to be sure we are properly represented!

BTW, I've been keeping track.... the other White RT members I know of are BigBlockDodge, cnj, and PlainWhiteRidge.

Let us know how it goes....
C'mon farmguy, what about my white one???:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bikeblue said:
Here in California, you can find that most dealers are selling the Ridgeline for under invoice, but the taxes, license, and title really jack up the final cost. Also, I got my rear mud flaps online from H & A and had them on in 15 minutes.
In NY, you pay the sales tax for the county you live in (mine is 8%), but you only have to pay tax on the new vehicle price minus the trade-in price (e.g., $25,978-$9,500=$16,478 taxable, or $1,318.24 in tax at 8%). DMV/document fees totaled $167.50 (including a $22.50 bullsh*t NY State "Tire Waste Disposal Fee," a $45 dealer "documentation fee," $10 NYS inspection fee, and $90 for NYS DMV title & registration).

You are right. Taxes and fees do bump the total cost up significantly....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
swampler said:
Yours is RTL, I think Farmguy was just counting RT models.
My bad...and welcome jafadog with your ridgeline! After 8,000 miles, I still can't wait to get in it!:cool:
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top