Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Proud first time Ridgeline owner as of Saturday. Purchased a RTS 2WD in Modern Steel. Dealer I bought from got the truck from another dealer who had already added tinted windows, splash guards, pin stripe, etc. I had found the same model and price at another dealer and was ready to buy with them. They gave the add ons at no price to get by business :smile:

Feel I got a good deal with a price of $29,226.15 (~ $2,300 under MSRP of $31,151.

My out the door was $31,351.93.

I have been thrilled with it thus far. Drives great and the amount of room in the cab is outstanding; very comfortable to drive. Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information I pulled from this forum.

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Proud first time Ridgeline owner as of Saturday. Purchased a RTS 2WD in Modern Steel. Dealer I bought from got the truck from another dealer who had already added tinted windows, splash guards, pin stripe, etc. I had found the same model and price at another dealer and was ready to buy with them. They gave the add ons at no price to get by business :smile:

Feel I got a good deal with a price of $29,226.15 (~ $2,300 under MSRP of $31,151.

I have been thrilled with it thus far. Drives great and the amount of room in the cab is outstanding; very comfortable to drive. Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information I pulled from this forum.
Excellent deal!

Congrats.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. I have been too busy driving it. I have still not seen another one on the road in North Atlanta. Kinda cool being among the first to own one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats on the truck. I keep going back and forth on the RTS or Sport. Looks like you got a good deal there, congrats on that.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats on the truck. I keep going back and forth on the RTS or Sport. Looks like you got a good deal there, congrats on that.
I'm sure you will make the right choice for yourself. For me it came down to the sport 'only' being available in black (which was not a color I wanted), and the only other differences between the sport and the RTS being: gray painted wheels & the 'sport' badges. None of those features justified the additional $ for me / my purchase. I'm sure they are more important to others though.

Good luck with you purchase, and I hope you are as happy with what you select as I am.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm sure you will make the right choice for yourself. For me it came down to the sport 'only' being available in black (which was not a color I wanted), and the only other differences between the sport and the RTS being: gray painted wheels & the 'sport' badges. None of those features justified the additional $ for me / my purchase. I'm sure they are more important to others though.

Good luck with you purchase, and I hope you are as happy with what you select as I am.
Initially I was all for the RTS for those reasons you mentioned. Then I saw the Sport in person and my wife immediately fell in love with it.
Now it´s hard to convince her that the RTS is the way to go.
That doesn´t sound right does it, the guy trying to convince the wife that the less expensive truck is better. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Initially I was all for the RTS for those reasons you mentioned. Then I saw the Sport in person and my wife immediately fell in love with it.
Now it´s hard to convince her that the RTS is the way to go.
That doesn´t sound right does it, the guy trying to convince the wife that the less expensive truck is better. :surprise:
Happy wife....happy life!0:)

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts

Actually, the MSRP on the RTS 2WD is $32,415 ($31,515 + 900 destination), so your purchase price would be almost $3,200 below MSRP. Invoice is $29,720. Something doesn't add up here. Either you're reporting the wrong numbers or the dealer made a huge mistake (less likely) or you got an RT instead of an RTS or a trade-in was involved and they low-balled you big time. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
[/IMG]
Actually, the MSRP on the RTS 2WD is $32,415 ($31,515 + 900 destination), so your purchase price would be almost $3,200 below MSRP. Invoice is $29,720. Something doesn't add up here. Either you're reporting the wrong numbers or the dealer made a huge mistake (less likely) or you got an RT instead of an RTS or a trade-in was involved and they low-balled you big time. :)
LOL; now that's funny. What doesn't add up? The numbers are what I paid (see image). Dealer did not make a mistake; that was the price I negotiated. It is an RTS, and no, I did not trade in a vehicle. As to the destination, in my experience some roll in into the quoted MSRP price, others break it out as a separate line item. In this case, it is rolled in as it is not referenced in the numbers.

I corresponded via email and text with multiple dealers. I got lots of "we HAVE to charge MSRP", "additional dollars for accessory packages..", etc. When I went to a few dealers to beat the price I ended up paying, I heard "there is no way they can sell you that truck at that price." LOL. My response: each dealership makes a decision as to how much profit they are willing to make on each deal. There are no "rules".

There are dealers out there who are selling at below MSRP. You just have to work to find them. Fortunately for me I live in an area that has double digit Honda dealers within an hours drive. It took a couple of weeks, but I got the deal I wanted. I communicate via email and text, and have the deal set and in writing before showing up at the dealership. I arrived at the dealership at 9:00 am on Sat to sign the paperwork and take delivery. I was out the door by 10:00.

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts
What doesn't add up? The numbers are what I paid (see image). Dealer did not make a mistake; that was the price I negotiated. It is an RTS, and no, I did not trade in a vehicle.
Again, dealer invoice is $29,720 less a $630 holdback, so the actual dealer cost for the vehicle you bought is around $29,090. You paid $29,226.15 for it ($28,627.15 + $599 "doc fee") which means the dealer made a gross profit of $136.15 (assuming you didn't buy any warranties, service plans, or financing that we can't see below the "LESS CASH ON DELIVERY" line at the bottom which would have added hundreds to thousands to their profit). If you paid cash and didn't finance anything (which it appears you paid a curiously-specific cash down payment and financed the rest at an undisclosed interest rate), the dealer truly lost money on that deal since that wouldn't be enough gross profit to cover their expenses. I stand by my opinion that on the surface it appears someone at the dealer goofed, which was most definitely in your favor - a very, very rare occurrence indeed. Well done - I think!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Again, dealer invoice is $29,720 less a $630 holdback, so the actual dealer cost for the vehicle you bought is around $29,090. You paid $29,226.15 for it ($28,627.15 + $599 "doc fee") which means the dealer made a gross profit of $136.15 (assuming you didn't buy any warranties, service plans, or financing that we can't see below the "LESS CASH ON DELIVERY" line at the bottom which would have added hundreds to thousands to their profit). If you paid cash and didn't finance anything (which it appears you paid a curiously-specific cash down payment and financed the rest at an undisclosed interest rate), the dealer truly lost money on that deal since that wouldn't be enough gross profit to cover their expenses. I stand by my opinion that on the surface it appears someone at the dealer goofed, which was most definitely in your favor - a very, very rare occurrence indeed. Well done - I think![/QUOTE

The reason for the odd cash on delivery number, which I paid in cash, was due to my only financing 20K (1.75 interest rate with my credit union). And no, I didn't buy any service plans, etc.

Keep in mind that I received that same price quote from 2 dealers. The one I went with matched the other when I approached them with it. I went with them based on the seller being so responsive in our communications and just generally great to work with.

Your feedback further solidifies my getting a GREAT deal. Thanks for that!

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts
The reason for the odd cash on delivery number, which I paid in cash, was due to my only financing 20K (1.75 interest rate with my credit union). And no, I didn't buy any service plans, etc.
Then, it's official - you got the best deal reported here so far on a new Ridgeline! Congratulations! There was another member who came close on a Black Edition due to a dealer pricing error that they honored. I wonder if you would have done as well on an RTL-E or Black Edition since those seems to be moving far more quickly than the lower trims. One dealer local to me has had the same two RTL for almost a month now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Then, it's official - you got the best deal reported here so far on a new Ridgeline! Congratulations! There was another member who came close on a Black Edition due to a dealer pricing error that they honored. I wonder if you would have done as well on an RTL-E or Black Edition since those seems to be moving far more quickly than the lower trims. One dealer local to me has had the same two RTL for almost a month now.
I had that thought too re: getting as good a deal on a RTL. In fact, before they located the truck I bought (in Savannah) I tried to get them to sell me an RTL they had on their lot for a little over what I had agreed to pay on the RTS. They didn't bite on that.

Honestly, for me I felt the RTS was the best option. The interesting thing is that i was fully prepared to pay MSRP had it come down to that. Cast a large net and at times you can be very surprised with what you catch.

Thanks again for the great exchange.

·
Administrator
16,072 Posts
People just don't want to park at Johnny Cace's with a Honda truck??:grin:
Johnny Cace's served their last supper on March 28, 2015. The place just kept going downhill following Gerard's death in 2012. I know of at least a few Ridgelines in their parking lot!

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Johnny Cace's served their last supper on March 28, 2015. The place just kept going downhill following Gerard's death in 2012. I know of at least a few Ridgelines in their parking lot!
Damn....I used to love going there back in the 70's! Sad that it's gone....

Glad to still have great memories!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts