Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Premium Member
166 Posts
Hmmm, the AC/DC inverter is in the cab, no wonder I couldn't find a 12v. power wire out in the bed location. I wonder if there is the plug for the inverter in the wire harness on a RTL-T just waiting to be plugged in? Do you know if the bottom two wires/plug (red & black) are the power in?

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here is a huge disappointment!!!!! The wire at the AC outlet in the bed is 16 GAUGE!!! So if your serious about using it I'd run a new wire. I pulled my bed apart tonight and found that out. I never use those things as I have a very quiet Honda generator but I would of ran a new wire when I did my amp if I knew that.

· Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,590 Posts
Hmmm, the AC/DC inverter is in the cab, no wonder I couldn't find a 12V. power wire out in the bed location. I wonder if there is the plug for the inverter in the wire harness on a RTL-T just waiting to be plugged in? Do you know if the bottom two wires/plug (red & black) are the power in?
If you don't want to mess with wiring to get a 12V outlet in the bed, you could use a 12V plug adapter for the seven-pin trailer harness. I use one on my Gen1 and it works great!

Because our Ridgeline's trailer wiring harnesses are designed to support a trailer brake controller, the outlet can handle 20 amps of current. That's a lot more output than you can get with the 12V outlets in our cabs.

Hopkins 47675 Multi-Tow 12 Volt Adapter -@Amazon - @Walmart - @etrailer

· Registered
290 Posts
I have the RTL and it does not have the inverter. I wonder if there is 12v wiring behind where the inverter would fit?

Does anyone know if there is a 12v wiring harness back there? I'd love to tap into it and add some Anderson Power Poles to the RTL pocket to make it super useful.

· Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the RTL and it does not have the inverter. I wonder if there is 12v wiring behind where the inverter would fit?

Does anyone know if there is a 12v wiring harness back there? I'd love to tap into it and add some Anderson Power Poles to the RTL pocket to make it super useful.
Pop the trim panels off below the rear seat drivers side and you should be able to see them if they are there.

Running a wire into the cabin is super easy. There is a grommet above the gas pedal. You'll have to punch a hole in it but after that you can pretty much tuck the wires under the kick and door sill panels. If you pull the rear seats, which is pretty easy. Pull the bolts and lift straight up, there is a lot of room back there to mount some things. You'll want to use brackets and such because below the sheet metal back there is the gas tank. The inverter itself is mounted on a bracket but you could probably order the bracket and use that.

· Premium Member
2022 Black Edition [Nov 24, 2021] - Traded 2017 B.E. [Sept 23, 2016]
1,228 Posts
i know it's an old thread, but thanks for posting the pictures. I just hope my power inverter fits in that spot.
I also see this is an old thread, but wouldn't have noticed it without you're reply pushing it up. Indeed, cool photos. It's exciting to know it is in the cab (I'm surprised it's not as close to the battery as possible) just for the possibility of an in-cab outlet. Does this mean that the non-featured models do have a plug in the harness? Or do you need to splice?

· Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for the adapter idea. I have a small 12v pump attached to a 15 gal water tank that use to water plants at a adopt a spot and was wondering how I was going to connect the wires from the 12 volt motor to the Ridgeline battery due to the negative terminal being covered with the air duct without taking the duct off. this will work just fine. Just one question? How do you keep power on to the plug. Is it when you turn on the lights? Thanks

· Super Moderator
3,076 Posts
Actually, a very simple way to do this inverter thing is to just buy a aftermarket one. I have a 400w one that I can carry from car to car for portability. Nothing attached to the car and 400w is plenty for most anything.

Steve M

· Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,590 Posts
Thanks for the adapter idea. I have a small 12v pump attached to a 15 gal water tank that use to water plants at a adopt a spot and was wondering how I was going to connect the wires from the 12 volt motor to the Ridgeline battery due to the negative terminal being covered with the air duct without taking the duct off. this will work just fine. Just one question? How do you keep power on to the plug. Is it when you turn on the lights? Thanks
You're very welcome and thank you for commenting.

For the Gen1 Ridgeline, you have to turn the ignition to the "on" position, not the "accessory" position. That will turn on power to the trailer wiring harness, among other things. If you want your 12V device to really perform, turn on the engine so the alternator can help out.

Line art Text Coloring book Font Vehicle

I'm not certain about the Gen2 Ridgeline's push button start as it relates to powering the trailer wiring harness.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.