Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Installing the dashmat probably took about half an hour. It had "relaxed" on the dash for a couple of days. My recommendation would be to make sure you have some extra sticky velcro on hand. Cutting the strips they sent into 1" tabs doesn't give anywhere near enough to smooth out the edges.

It looked bad at first, like we weren't going to get it to lie flat, but it just took some coaxing and more velcro.

I'm lifting the flap that you don't tack down to show that it clears the airbag opening. I put extra velcro around the outside of the flap because I don't want that to budge if the bag deploys.

We cut some longer strips and then cut them in half lengthwise to put around several of the edges that we wanted smooth and secure.

You can see my black towel shoved in my dash cubby holes. I really need that dash cover that's coming out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I were to do it again, I would have had more velcro on hand and I would run a long strip just in front of the airbag where I have the small pieces.

I also wanted the outside of the flap to fit very snuggly to keep the flap as flat as possible.

The front of the dash where the defroster vents are was very difficult to photograph. We decided to run a narrow strip all the way along each vent to anchor the mat from the front. This made the front look much smoother.

You will also notice a thin strip that is inserted between the dash and the windshield. We decided to leave these sticking up for now and see if there is any interference with the blower. I think they'll be OK, but it doesn't look as finished as I would like.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here are the finished edges. I may still add a dot or two of velcro, but it looks OK now.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Too funny! I have the exact same steering wheel cover. I had it on my Tahoe...it worked great! I might even put it on my RL now that I see someone else has it...I like the steering wheel too much I guess.

Cheers,
George

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
Hi Truckin, Very nice post! The dash cover looks great, fits good too. Thanks for the photos. Really well done.:D
Ron

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I want to report that the dashmat has done exactly what I hoped it would do: the glare is completely gone. I'm able to take photos out the window with very little worry about glare. It's only the side window causing me grief now. If I have light colored clothing on I often can't take photos out the side. I can't wear black all the time. Usually I solve the problem by rolling the window down if we're not going too fast. It's harder to reduce the motion factor out the side too, so photos out the front predominate.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I keeps the glare from the shiny dashboard shelf off of the inside of the widshield.
It also protects the dashborad from cracking in 10 years.

I think the pic with the navi looks silly..
Elvis lambchop sideburns for your navi!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope we never find out. The cut out around the airbag on the dash appears adequate. It is tacked down with velcro on the outside of the cut. In theory, the airbag should deploy just fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I would think that any small pieces of velcro over the passenger side airbag would not hinder its explosive deployment but I will leave the flap unattached anyway. Also the dashcover I just got from the dealer seems to be different than yours, it doesnt drape as far down on the edge by the steering wheel and has more coverage by the air conditioning vents on the passenger side. I like the dark brown color with a sparkled finish and even though it is pretty flashy looking it still reduces windshield glare quite well.

·
Registered
473 Posts
nice job and looks good.
I was surprized. the first pics I was like man that doesnt fit at all, then I saw it attached.
I went the other route. I like it shiny. Put armor all on mine and will probably do so once a month to also keep cracks at bay.
Hey but you don't like it shiny and now won't have to worry bout armor all.
BTW how much was it?
LOL just want to justify how much armor all I could buy for the price teehee. Not trying to give you a hard time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Truckin, I bought the same dashcover and happened to stumble across your install the day I got it. Followed your instructions about letting it set for a couple-few days and using much more velcro to secure it. I'm very happy with the way the dash cover fits.

Good advice on your install. There are a few areas where the amount of velcro they sent just doesn't do the trick. I happened to have a pack of small velcro dots laying around the house and used those to secure the parts hanging down by the vents. The long, thin strip by the windshield I pushed as far down into the windshield gap as I could and it sits very nicely along the edge. What I also like is the dash cover is thin ... I have Eclipse sunshades that close smoothly over the mat.

Thanks for posting the pix. They really helped me position the velcro well.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
RidgeDoc, you can go through a few bottles of Armour All on your dash. The cost was $34.99 plus S & H. We bought it from Cabela's:

http://cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ...&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat20117&hasJS=true

You order by going through all the customize selections so you can add it to your shopping cart. There are other places, such as WalMart or your dealer, that will place your order with DashMat for you. Thus far I haven't seen another company making the covers for the Ridgeline. UtiliMat does not list one for the Ridgeline as of today.

dig_az, I'm glad you found my thread and it was useful. That's my hope when I post photos and/or instructions on the ROC. We were also able to just scoot the front edge down in the gap between dash and window. It's stayed in place too.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I had one of these on an old Porsche I had to cover the cracks in the dash.

Only purpose I could find.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I live in Phoenix, Arizona,"THE VALLEY OF THE SUN". I have never had a dashboard crack or malfunction in any manner.
You did a very good install, however the dash mat you purchased was not designed for fit by CNC machinery, thats why it is not fitting properly around the sides and the vents.
The sun will dry out the cover very quickly, and it will crack. The adhesive you affixed to the dash will dry onto the dash, and be very hard to remove, if at all.:D

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You may be correct about the dashmat not lasting forever. I will replace it with another dashmat if and when that happens. I don't want to go back to a bare dash because of the glare.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think the air bag cut out is funny. I work with deployed air bags every day, and the cut out wont do a thing. That dash mat will end up on the back seat. Air bags deploy with such a strong and quick force, there is no velcro that will hold the mat on. That is almost as bad as when we get a car in that the air bag did not deploy, the police/fire put a piece of duct tape or bright yellow tape and a warning sticker that says "caution air bag not deployed". First off, duh that the air bag is not deployed. Second, that piece of tape is not going to stop an air bag. Lastly, if it didn't go off in the accident it is not going to mysteriously deploy 3 days later. The air bag gnomes do not exist!

·
Registered
237 Posts
CJMDWYER said:
I think the air bag cut out is funny. I work with deployed air bags every day, and the cut out wont do a thing. That dash mat will end up on the back seat. Air bags deploy with such a strong and quick force, there is no velcro that will hold the mat on. That is almost as bad as when we get a car in that the air bag did not deploy, the police/fire put a piece of duct tape or bright yellow tape and a warning sticker that says "caution air bad not deployed". First off, duh that the air bag is not deployed. Second, that piece of tape is not going to stop an air bag. Lastly, if it didn't go off in the accident it is not going to mysteriously deploy 3 days later. The air bag gnomes do not exist!

agreed, what a silly feature...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts