Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered it Monday, got it Friday and installed it that night. About 2 hrs, second set of hands needed to set it in place. Got the ROC $100 discount so $789 + shipping. Wasn't hard to install. Trunk lid opens most of the way and still very usable. Extraordinarily high quality materials used. Special tools needed were Torx 40 and 50 bits, Harbor Freight had a set of 9 on sale for $6.99. 15" min clearance cover to bed. Note if you installed this a while back the instructions mentioned one change and they now include nice covers for the middle set of holes for the torx bed screws. That's a very nice addition so if you got Retrax early on you may want to locate these.

Attachments

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rest of pics...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Your truck looks fabulous. Don't you just love the look and functionality of the Retrax? We are extremely pleased with ours. I see you also have the tubular hitch bumper step. That's another add on that I love.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Now I can finally picture what that would look like on mine, since we both have Amazon green. Looks INCREDIBLE!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Brian, get one. You will love it!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Looks great. I love my Retrax tooooooo

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Very nice pics. Thanks for posting them.

Pictures like those are making it harder and harder for me to resist getting this cover.:D

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
I really like the ease of opening the Retrax (at least the way it appears to work), and would probably go that route if I were to ever get a cover. I do think $800 is steep though for a cover. I had one of the covers that snap on my F150 and will never have another like that. I guess you get what you pay for.

Looks great on your truck!

·
Registered
897 Posts
Nice writeup and photos, thanks :cool:

Might sound like a dumb question but is that a waterproof cover? and is it a very permanent install for the roller/cover holder box? ie: could I remove it with some quick release type stuff or is it a major affair?

Im planning on hauling a dirtbike in the back but am looking for a decent cover for the back thats easy in/out but isn't just a regular tonneau. That looks like a decent one.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Not waterproof. Has gaskets all the way around the bed but will allow some water by. Open at the tailgate but gaskets can be added there. Removable but not easily, 4 screws hold the reel and tracks to the truck. Some owners have gone to extra measures to make it watertight, for example adding silicone bead around it. But that goes more against your easy removal requirement.

I suggest you look at http://www.basickoncepts.com/ for a quick and easy to remove one. Don't know them and obviously didn't buy from them but their product is more of a match to your requirement for quick removal. Also http://www.accesscover.com/

Retrax web site...
http://www.rolltopcover.com/

·
Registered
579 Posts
Is the basic concept cover watertight?

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Nice pictures Paul and a good looking truck with the other accessories.

The Retrax is what I eventually want to install also but I have heard they make an annoying noise. I can picture what the noise might be like with the ribbed/pleated construction.

But is the noise really that loud or annoying?

Joe

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
JOZ RIDG, I've never heard any noise from ours except the smooth swish when it glides open.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
ssg said:
Nice writeup and photos, thanks :cool:

Might sound like a dumb question but is that a waterproof cover? and is it a very permanent install for the roller/cover holder box? ie: could I remove it with some quick release type stuff or is it a major affair?

Im planning on hauling a dirtbike in the back but am looking for a decent cover for the back thats easy in/out but isn't just a regular tonneau. That looks like a decent one.
I'd measure your bike and see if it would work to haul them without taking it out, but I guess you probably need those top tiedowns. Some have talked about taking it out. We installed in a slow, deliberate manner and did so in less than two hours.

I'm sure you would get much faster and it's not that heavy. It's a bit awkward with those long rails and it sure helps to have a second person there to make sure you don't scratch your truck. There are only a few bolts holding it in.

We just had another heavy rain and it only got wet up by the drains.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Awww...man...
I was all set to get the OEM, but now I'm torn. I'm not necessarily interested in hauling huge things-I want the cover just if I have to throw a couple of boxes in the back.

Looks good...you may have a twin soon. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
I swore I read in another post, that someone mentioned the road noise from the Retrax.....no reports of that?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
not mine, if that changes I'll update this posting

·
Registered
219 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts