Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

381 - 400 of 419 Posts

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,763 Posts
Orange/brown fluid on the garage floor under the radiator the last few days. At the dealer now. Changed the original radiator at 92k after the line failed while driving. 179k on it now. Moved to MN in 13 and they salt the **** out of roads here.
North East is no joke either. My Recommendation; get a can of plastidip or Rustoleum brand paint and spray it on the connections. They will essentially protect the surface from atmospheric contact and thus stop the corrosion. I wish I still had access to automotive underbody spray. They were the best.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I installed the Spectra Premium CU13065 in my 2013 Ridgeline over the weekend. Purchased at Amazon for $105.00. Radiator was packed the same as many others have reported, in a flimsy cardboard box with foam on each corner. Fortunately, mine arrived via UPS with no visible damage. Installation was pretty straight forward, and the fit was perfect.

Many on this forum have asked whether 2009-2014's have been affected by the OEM steel washers rusting and causing SMOD. I've attached pics of my washers...Slight rust beginning, so they probably would have lasted 3 or more years. I replaced the radiator preemptively, not wanting to take a chance of it failing later.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just replaced my radiator with a new Denso. I have an '07 RT with 143k miles. The last 4 years it's' been exposed to the salty winters of Chicago, but prior to that it was in AZ.

Here's what my fittings look like:

A few things about swapping out the radiator:
1) The lisle radiator funnel is an absolute must. Twenty bucks well spent.
2) Don't be a dummy like me. After removing the old radiator, wipe everything down. After burping the radiator, wipe everything down again. I saw coolant puddled under the radiator and thought I had a leak. It turned out to just be spillage from the lower opening on the radiator or from burping it.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have a 2010 RTL with 77K, all maintenance performed on schedule at the dealership. Read about this issue for the first time this morning. As soon as wife got the truck home from errands I grabbed the selfie stick and snapped a couple pics.
Much relieved to see zero sign of corrosion.

Door jamb placard shows truck was built in Alabama 05/10 and we spent the first five years of its life in the rainy southeast (TN) before moving to AZ in 2015. We plan to sell the truck within the next two years and I don't plan to change the radiator.

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

By the way, what does "SMOD" stand for? I know what the issue is, just never saw exactly what the acronym means.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,279 Posts
By the way, what does "SMOD" stand for? I know what the issue is, just never saw exactly what the acronym means.
Strawberry milkshake of Death.

Those fittings look the best of any I've seen here on the ROC. I'd think you're likely OK too. I don't plan to change my radiator out until I do the timing belt/water pump service at 120k miles. I have 113k on my 2008 right now.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Dealer flushed my radiator last year and did not mention anything. Guess I need to crawl under and see what I can see. 2012 w/58k miles.

Update can't get a good look, it appears I will be forced to buy a selfie stick.

·
Super Moderator
23,279 Posts
@iko, when you're ready to go down for maintenance, give those lines a tug and see if they break free. Just curious how fragile they might be. A number of posters have mentioned the lines pulled right out with little effort when they changed out the radiator... so I'm wondering if the line tug is a valid check. Obviously, if the line pulls out, you're down until fixed... but at least you're not driving when it fails!

·
Registered
56 Posts
@iko, when you're ready to go down for maintenance, give those lines a tug and see if they break free. Just curious how fragile they might be. A number of posters have mentioned the lines pulled right out with little effort when they changed out the radiator... so I'm wondering if the line tug is a valid check. Obviously, if the line pulls out, you're down until fixed... but at least you're not driving when it fails!
Will do! Ordered radiator, time belt and water pump. I'm curious if I'll be able to undo the dreaded crankshaft bolt. fun fun fun

·
Super Moderator
23,279 Posts
Will do! Ordered radiator, time belt and water pump. I'm curious if I'll be able to undo the dreaded crankshaft bolt. fun fun fun
Bumpstart (no spark plugs) the starter with the wrench braced against a hard surface if all else fails. Or a stout impact driver. Which I'm sure you already know.

BTW, OEM spark plugs from Amazon are typically $10-ish each.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
5,373 Posts
Anxious to hear if the connection could simply be pulled out of the radiator.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Here are mine from a 2008, 193K km or 120K miles.

I spent 3 hours of contortions trying to get some good images, my body still hurts. Then @Pabowhunter kindly told me how get an image and it took a few minutes:
There is a small “inspection window” just below the passenger side fitting, I believe it’s labeled as the radiator drain access. Pop off the piece of plastic and stick you phone up in there
My passenger side closest to the drain plug outside:
https://ibb.co/hCs75cn

Passenger_outer.jpg

My passenger side from the middle or inside:
https://ibb.co/VMZdtFs

Passenger_Middle.jpg

My drivers side from above using a compact mirror & DSLR with flash:
https://ibb.co/16RnKHB

Drivers_mirror.jpg

On edit - I'm not sure why my images are not loading. I've added direct links. On 2nd edit I think I figured out how to insert attachments. Hope this works.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I changed me rad today on my 2009 the fittings don’t look like to have any rusting look from the outside.It is exactly 10 years old and I live in Ontario snowbelt area .It only has 110,000 km but I had the fitting spayed when I had it oil sprayed ever fall.
I

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here’s photos of my 08 Ridgeline ...I’m thinking it might be a good idea to replace the radiator soon

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,763 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2015 Pilot and noticed this weekend one of my washers is rusty. What are your guys thoughts on it? Bad take it in or okay to keep driving. I have a 500 mile road trip planned next week and trying to figure out what I should do.. on the other hand I see a ton of pilots out there and gurantee a lot of people don't know about this issue. Washer-1.jpg

381 - 400 of 419 Posts