Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased the Honda factory seat covers for the backseat, and have found them to be excellent, but they only seem to be offered for the rear seats.

Two questions:

1) Is it possible Honda doesn't offer seat covers for the front seats because of a concern that any seat cover could/would interfere with airbag deployment? Thus is it unwise from a safety perspective to order seat covers from other sources?

2) If no to the above, are the front seats of the R2 similar/identical to the 2016 Pilot? I ask because Pilot seat covers are available, but I can't find aftermarket 2017 Ridgeline seat covers.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I purchased the Honda factory seat covers for the backseat, and have found them to be excellent, but they only seem to be offered for the rear seats.

Two questions:

1) Is it possible Honda doesn't offer seat covers for the front seats because of a concern that any seat cover could/would interfere with airbag deployment? Thus is it unwise from a safety perspective to order seat covers from other sources?

2) If no to the above, are the front seats of the R2 similar/identical to the 2016 Pilot? I ask because Pilot seat covers are available, but I can't find aftermarket 2017 Ridgeline seat covers.
You are probably correct about the OEM front seat cover and airbag. #2 The aftermarket will have them G2 Ridgeline is new give the aftermarket time to catch up. They may be identical to Pilot seat covers but I would wait until it said 2017 Ridgeline.

Reactions: Lifesaver1

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is obviously a personal opinion, but I'll never understand the concept of putting seat covers on brand new seats. The leather seats on my Ridgeline look great and are comfy, why would I cover that up and sit on microfiber just so the next owner can get the utility of nice, comfortable seats? I almost went with the back seat cover because of my dogs (both ~20 lbs each), but I really didn't want the mismatching, and heat absorbing black cover detracting from the otherwise classy looking gray leather interior. Instead, I just bought a big, thick moving blanket to cover the seat when I have the dogs in tow.

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is obviously a personal opinion, but I'll never understand the concept of putting seat covers on brand new seats. The leather seats on my Ridgeline look great and are comfy, why would I cover that up and sit on microfiber just so the next owner can get the utility of nice, comfortable seats?

I'm with you on that. I just keep cheap generic slip on covers in the trunk in case we get muddy on an outing. Takes 5 seconds to put them on when needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is obviously a personal opinion, but I'll never understand the concept of putting seat covers on brand new seats. The leather seats on my Ridgeline look great and are comfy, why would I cover that up and sit on microfiber just so the next owner can get the utility of nice, comfortable seats? I almost went with the back seat cover because of my dogs (both ~20 lbs each), but I really didn't want the ugly, and heat absorbing black cover detracting from the otherwise classy looking gray leather interior. Instead, I just bought a big, thick moving blanket to cover the seat when I have the dogs in tow.
Because leather in 95 degree weather starts to burn your skin. Cloth doesn't do that.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I agree about not putting them on for daily use, reminds me of my grand parent's generation with the plastic seat covers over the sofa - who are you saving it for?
On the other hand, keeping covers when people get wet and dirty for quick protection sounds like a great idea.
Love the Grand Parent's Comment. :grin:

My family gives me a bad time...as I having removable plastic seat coverts (like the Honda Service people put on). I don't have them on all the time (and yes front seat covers would have problems with the side air bag). Well actually I had back surgery, so I have had the plastic seat covers on for awhile...lets me slide in my Accord better. ;-)

But I've always kept plastic covers handy, as I've done on every vehicle we've own. We usually (only) put them on when dirty or super sweaty. BUT I did purchase the Rear Seat cover for my wife's RL...and I agree that it is VERY nice (just protects the seats from the two Miniature Dachshunds. ;-) and eventually whenever my wife may need car seats again for Grand Kids some day (not yet and in no hurry). ;-)

Plus, my wife is super simple (so we went with the lower end RTS (as she likes cloth). I like everything, but I really do like her two-tone seats, even if the rest of the truck doesn't have all the bells and whistles. ;-) But of course we have now coved up her rear seats with that Honda Neoprene with Ridgeline embossed on it (it's cool...it's practical for my dirt digging wife).
:wink:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Because leather in 95 degree weather starts to burn your skin. Cloth doesn't do that.
Cloth is also warmer in sub-freezing temps.

The cloth seats in my '02 Accord are more comfy than the leather seats in my wife's '08 Accord, and her car is 3 or 4 trims higher than mine. Mine is also wearing better.

·
Registered
340 Posts
That is exactly what I thought!

I'd discovered that this two-tone only comes on the RT & RTS Models, and only in the RT w/Modern Steel; or only RTS in Modern Steel or Obsidian Blue.

My wife was wanting me to look for used vehicles after I'd sold her '13 Taco TRD Sport, as she did not want to spend $40K+ on the RTL-E that I was pretty much after in my mind and one of the purposes for selling her Taco. I was already on a war path to purge all Toyota's after Toyota Corp. had treated me and my very good local Toyota Dealer very badly. LOTS of issues w/'13 Avalon Hybrid Limited w/Tech, interior integrity issues, bad squeaks rattles, headliners falling down, Burning Oil issues with the '07 Camry Hybrid "Kid Car" and tons of 2.4L engines, and vibration things on the Taco, too. I had had it with Toyota Corp. when they wanted my dealer to buy back my Avalon instead of them...as if the build quality of the Avalon was the dealers fault...and 10 others I'd driven that were the same...just very UN-Toyota Like is the short description. :-/

Anyway, back to my wife...she is very simple...and easy going for the most part, but does hate it when I mess with one of her cars. ;-)

I was definitely looking for a Honda / Acura product...and we were down to used 2010-2013 Acura MDX's. Yet, used MDX's were around $28K; however, on her own at one dealer she saw a 2013 Ridgeline, and went over to it...it was actually pretty close to KBB Private Party Value for $26.5K and 71,000 miles. I knew then, that she really wanted a truck for how she volunteers at church with planting plants, gardening etc. And, I'd honestly never looked at or considered a lower end model of the Ridgeline. But once I compared them all, and saw our future RTS with that two-tone cloth seats...and it literally had everything that her old '13 Taco had + WAY MORE (better MPG's, doesn't need Premium Fuel like a MDX, faster, quieter, wider, more useful bed, etc. etc.).

So, I feel like we kind of got a find...and again paid $100 less than I sold her old '13 Taco for...and not all that much more than Used MDX's...brand new truck...so a win win win for my simple wife. ;-) The only thing that could be any better was if it had a Factory Moonroof...but I had added a (Classic Soft Trim) Moonroof to our 2000 Tundra Access Cab and I would never do that again (it was nice but would whistle sometimes...just not stock...and scary cutting into what was a $28K truck way back in 2000. ;-) Come to think of it...this RL cost just a few thousand more than our 2000 Tundra; or 1994 Suburban 2500 w/454; or '97 Cummins...and LESS than our 2005 Tundra Double Cab; and LESS than our 2011 Tundra Crew Max; and $100 LESS than our 2013 Taca TRD Sport w/TRD Exhaust and stuff...THIS RL IS A GREAT GREAT VALUE in retrospect...carzy when I think about it that way. ;-)

So I am amazingly super content with the lowered end RTS...and it's not really my main rig anyway. I still have my techie Accord Hybrid Touring that we will mostly take on longer distances that do not involve snow; or log roads; or camping; or pulling something. I do feel like we are blessed with the best automobile line-up/combination ever. ;-) But some day there will be a Hybrid RL that will get 30 MPG and some crazy amount of torque from 0 (just like how I LOVE my HAH that gets 42-43 MPG anywhere...just a difference kind of fun vehicle that fits my wide butt, looks good, and is quick enough at 0-60 in 7.0 seconds) ;-)

·
Registered
20 Posts
.... so does anyone know if the pilot seat covers are the same? Interjecting why seat covers are a terrible idea is fun discussion and all, but for those of us who do want seat covers, it seems that the option are VERY limited, if the pilot seats are the same, that would open up a whole world of options... options are good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
.... so does anyone know if the pilot seat covers are the same? Interjecting why seat covers are a terrible idea is fun discussion and all, but for those of us who do want seat covers, it seems that the option are VERY limited, if the pilot seats are the same, that would open up a whole world of options... options are good.
I'm going to say "go for it". I'm not positive but googling images of the 2016 Pilot interior and 2017 Ridgeline interior and comparing the two, they look very much the same. Basically, it's what I'm going to do. :grin:

2016 Pilot

2017 Ridgeline

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I purchased custom seat covers right after getting the RL in October. There are customized fit choices for the RL out there. I used Autoanything or CarId for the fronts and the Hondas for the rears. They save my seats from the Chocolate Lab.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If the black leather turns out to be too hot I might consider some Wet Okole neoprene covers. I bought a set for my Miata and love the feel of them. They are made very well and fit perfectly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts