Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

761 - 780 of 850 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Double Check the polarity and for a good connection also
Dealer is going to change out my stereo next week due to a sound issue. So the polarity crossed could cause distortion. What if the cap was crossed? I have a problem with my CD volume being lower than my other audio sources until I press the XM button. This problem seems to be opposite of others where the CD is louder. I didn't notice it until after I changed out my tweets and wonder if it is something I may have caused? I also hadn't listened to a CD in my SE until after replacing the stock tweets so the problem may have always been there. The new JBL tweets sound crystal clear and big improvement over the OEM.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Dealer is going to change out my stereo next week due to a sound issue. So the polarity crossed could cause distortion. What if the cap was crossed? I have a problem with my CD volume being lower than my other audio sources until I press the XM button. This problem seems to be opposite of others where the CD is louder. I didn't notice it until after I changed out my tweets and wonder if it is something I may have caused? I also hadn't listened to a CD in my SE until after replacing the stock tweets so the problem may have always been there. The new JBL tweets sound crystal clear and big improvement over the OEM.
Polarity has zero to do with anything you might hear in the form of distortion. The image above showing the 18T connected to factory wiring and the JBL OEM 12db filter is all that's needed to see there is nothing in the installation that causing an issue, so it ain't you. If your tweets sound good with one source but not another, the question is mostly answered. Based on the weirdness you are describing, the HU seems to be the root of the problem.

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
Polarity has zero to do with anything you might hear in the form of distortion. The image above showing the 18T connected to factory wiring and the JBL OEM 12db filter is all that's needed to see there is nothing in the installation that causing an issue, so it ain't you. If your tweets sound good with one source but not another, the question is mostly answered. Based on the weirdness you are describing, the HU seems to be the root of the problem.
Thanks OhSix!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wao one month and finally read all the posts 762 to be exact,i went with the cadence and they sound much better than the factory ones,thanks to Laserguy that starts this tread on May-3-2011 and 4 years later it continues helping members like me,it took me 25 minutes i cut out the factory terminals and went with spades thanks again guys!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Looking into this in the coming weeks.

What is the best budget tweeter I can get? Any recommendations that are cheaper than the Infinity's that are 49.99?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
How about a different question...

What specs should I be eyeballing? I see watts, rms watts, impendence, sensitivity, efficiency, frequency response...

I have no idea what any of that means.

What about these?

·
Premium Member
1,782 Posts
I think most of the tweeters listed in this thread have feedback from those that tried them. If you try the Precision Power T.2's, I don't think you can go wrong for under $15. Try them and let us know how they sound.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
You might as well go for price. Any of the recommended updates seem to work well over the 'dead' sounding stock units.
I seriously doubt you will hear any great differences between the upgrades. The performance level of the rest of the audio system is the limiting factor.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Just installed the Infinity 1031t after striking out with 2 other tweeters (Infinity and Pioneer), was looking for plug and play in the RL grille. The 1031t was it, Scotch Extreme Mounting tape 1" folded in half over on itself was the perfect thickness, just pressed the tweeters into place and ran another 1" tape around the outside of that and the plastic round housing built into the grille. Posi-lock connectors made the connections easy.

Got some improvement in sound, but not the mind altering I was expecting. Had to do a lot of EQ, my head unit has 10-bands, and these tweeters definitely responded to the tweaking. Clarity is the number one advantage, but I could not realize the bass improvements referenced on these boards, it seems about the same. One of the bigger problems is there are huge EQ differences built in to the 3 main sources I am using- BT audio, CD and XM, what sounds good on one, not the other... wish I could preset the EQ for each source (probably can, just need to take out the manual someday).

BTW, the 1031T tweeters seemed altogether better quality than the newer 75s I took a look at first, heavier, better package, cleaner solders, etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just installed a pair of http://www.cadencesound.com/products/ZRS75T.html I ordered them from Amazon $24 late Friday night paid $4 and change for shipping and they arrived today in RI. That was fast. Anyway they sound awesome, I had to drop the slide all the way to the right on my built in EQ 10,000 hz because the tweeters were so loud. I dropped down at 8k and 10k and no it sounds great. Playing Pink Floyd`s Time you can really here all the clock and bells at the beginning of the song.
My system
Pioneer Avic z130bt HU
http://soundstream.com/store/car-audio/subwoofers/stealth-13.html sub
Alpine mrp-m500 amp
And now with the Cadence tweeters the system really has definition in the treble.

I didn`t get fancy with the installation, a couple zip ties is all it took to mount them.

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
It is a great mod, for sure. Cheap, easy and effective. I would think there may some subtle differences between brands of tweeters you use. But nothing like the difference from the stock ones.

·
Registered
109 Posts
From what I have seen and heard about Cadence is that they make some very good quality stuff. Did you read the specs on these tweeters? The built in crossovers is very cool, no big boxes to try fit in the dash.

·
Registered
22 Posts
On your suggestion mike 4100...I put the Cadence tweets in my RL. Did a side by side test using the same song on a CD with the fade to front and and isolate the balance to the test side, same speaker position, same listening position. I was pleasantly surprised! This upgrade is worth every penny and the swap is EZ. Thanks for the heads up:D
BTW- this is the stock 6 CD changer HU

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I'm here to apply for the 'idiot of the thread' award.

I picked up the Hertz DSK 165 speaker set that spawned this thread back when it first appeared........and did nothing with it. Kicked around, took up space, had to pack and move the box etc.

My thoughts have turned (once again) towards upgrading the stereo in the Ridge, so I FINALLY found the initiative to do the simple tweeter swap, however many years later. Might have taken a shade over the advertised 15 minutes, but not much. Definitely one of those 'how did I not do this sooner' moments.

I do have to say it's a bit of a plus/minus though - definitely sounds much better when playing a CD or hi-quality rips on my portable player (320k ogg through a Sansa clip), but a large part of my listening is an XM unit fed in via an Aux adapter and unfortunately I think the improved tweeters highlight the poor sound quality (not sure how much is XM in general and how much might be the specific unit) rather dramatically. This might change my listening habits a bit.

·
Registered
473 Posts
....remember, any new speaker takes between 30 - 50 hours at normal volume to break in.:act035:

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
9,960 Posts
No amount of break-in is going to fix the source material. The audio coming through XM or even HD radio is highly compressed. It's one of the reasons I've never subscribed to such a service and also the reason that, even though my Pioneer head unit is equipped with HD radio, I leave my FM feed on analog. I'm not able to listen to XM because it literally annoys me. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer sound quality over convenience. I know that most people don't really care about sound quality, but I have a very discerning ear for even the slightest changes or deficiencies in audio output. I pay for Pandora One because it has a high quality audio setting and streams much better audio quality. It's still not quite up to par with a CD, but it does the job.

761 - 780 of 850 Posts