Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

821 - 840 of 850 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have had the Polk tweeters installed now for a couple of days. . .

Sound quality is noticeably improved with dash tweeters that actually do something. In particular the "sound stage" has been lifted up with much better imaging.

I used to have the treble up one or two notches and now have it turned down a couple of notches. I haven't yet decided whether or not to cut the attenuation wires on the crossovers. . . CDs sound hugely better. On the other hand I do listen to Pandora radio a good deal in the car and the new tweeters reveal the limitations of that sound source with the highs being a bit harsh at times.

Overall, the $50 I spent here gives a lot of bang for the buck!
Good job, they look nice!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Has anyone used JL Audio C2-075CT tweeters in the stock location?

I'm getting ready to replace the tweeters and door speakers with a set of JL Audio C2-650X, but I want to make sure the tweeters will fit in the stock location.

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Has anyone used JL Audio C2-075CT tweeters in the stock location?

I'm getting ready to replace the tweeters and door speakers with a set of JL Audio C2-650X, but I want to make sure the tweeters will fit in the stock location.

Thanks
I just got done installing the tweeters in the stock location............and they fit great.
I put one layer of double sided tape around the tweeters, put them in the grille. Then I heat up the grille cup a little to soften it, and put a zip tie around it and tightened it down.
Wired them in, stuffed it all in the dash, and put the grilles back in place.

Huge improvement over stock............now I can't wait to do the 4 door speakers.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Any pictures?

I just got done installing the tweeters in the stock location............and they fit great.
I put one layer of double sided tape around the tweeters, put them in the grille. Then I heat up the grille cup a little to soften it, and put a zip tie around it and tightened it down.
Wired them in, stuffed it all in the dash, and put the grilles back in place.

Huge improvement over stock............now I can't wait to do the 4 door speakers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did mine back in December.
Ordered mine from Crutchfield, Infinity Reference REF-275tx
Install was very easy (sorry no pictures), soldered contacts so I didn't cut any wires.
Tweeters fit in the plastic bowl and I secured them with plastic zip-ties.
The crossover pack that came with the tweeters was just dropped down into the dash.
That's it.
Sound is so much better. The highs are so clear now and even the other frequencies have improved.
And I had to lower my volume by a notch now because it got louder.
Very happy with the upgrade.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Did mine back in December.
Ordered mine from Crutchfield, Infinity Reference REF-275tx
Install was very easy (sorry no pictures), soldered contacts so I didn't cut any wires.
Tweeters fit in the plastic bowl and I secured them with plastic zip-ties.
The crossover pack that came with the tweeters was just dropped down into the dash.
That's it.
Sound is so much better. The highs are so clear now and even the other frequencies have improved.
And I had to lower my volume by a notch now because it got louder.
Very happy with the upgrade.
Lower effective resistance of the 2 ohm tweeters equals more output with the same level of constant power. Good to hear of yet another satisfied tweeter pimper. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry guys/gals for the repetitive post but I bought some never-used, still in the box, Infinity 1031t's from ebay and I'm going to change them out with the stock tweeters in the dash on my recently acquired '08 Ridge, 133K, great shape! Love the truckster!

Do I need to use the crossover pack? Yes or No?

I've seen various posts on this forum of guys using them or not using them, video's that show them now being used, discussions with or without their installation. I just don't know what to do and need some help please.

Thanks! Great forum! Great posts!

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Here's a question for those who have component speakers up front. Did you put the component's tweeter in the stock "pimp" location? How did this workout sound wise? My concern is the distance between the woofer in the door and the tweeter. Audio theory likes this to be short. Thanks!

PS: I also asked this in my upgrade thread here: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/9-1g-mobile-electronics/173626-stereo-upgrades-2014-sport-2.html#post2539978

I figured the readership was better in the "pimping" thread

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I have mine in the stock location. Yes, it would be "better" sound staging to have them on the door panel facing the listener, but that's a whole lot of work for not a whole lot of sound improvement. The stock location works just fine. It's not like the RL is a studio with acoustic foam on the walls. I have a discerning ear and I'm plenty satisfied with the tweeters in the stock location.

·
Registered
47 Posts
More pictures here, and on the one above shows the the size of tweeter that will fit on the cover. Pictured are the Hertz Tweeters that are part of the Hertz DSK165 component system. Some tweeters can be modified, by removing the grill, by removing the grill there will be less obstruction and more sound. Most components speaker systems come with a single crossover for both bass and highs. These Hertz Speakers have a separate crossover for the bass driver and and tweeter and since it was small I was able to install them in the dash. Most purchased separate tweeters will not have a crossover/box as big to prevent it from fitting in this area.
I wouldn't recommend just stuffing the wires in and hoping they stay. You should really splice in the right connector properly. You are asking for intermittent cut outs, especially after the wires have time to oxidize. And open shorts in speaker lines has been known to burn out amplifier circuits.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #833
I wouldn't recommend just stuffing the wires in and hoping they stay. You should really splice in the right connector properly. You are asking for intermittent cut outs, especially after the wires have time to oxidize. And open shorts in speaker lines has been known to burn out amplifier circuits.

That was one of the first posts, and later I revised or suggested many other ways to connect them , if you take the time to go through the 100 plus posts.

I also said that If i wanted to keep their original wiring intact, i would crimp or solder pins to the new tweeter wires that can insert in the factory connector, I would avoid the posy connectors since they don't offer clean and large enough surface contact.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What a difference something so little makes. I made the swap on Friday, and it was an instant improvement. I'll try to get the other speakers done this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Nice job Habu!

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
I top-mounted mine as well many years ago when I did my full audio system. Mine were too big to simply fit in the area provided. They've worked well in this configuration, but I've grown tired of looking at them. I'm actually likely going to buy new tweeter cover pieces and redo them at some point when they bother me too much. This is purely an aesthetic thing for me.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I'm moving along slowly in the install of new JL speakers as well as a small 4 channel amp. I just started work on replacing the front tweeters and I discovered that Honda has "upgraded" the tweeters in the later years of the Ridgeline. Here's a picture of a stock tweeter that I just pulled out of the my 14 Sport. Its got some real weight to it, almost weighing as much as the PATHETIC stock speaker in the doors.

I have always thought that the OEM sound system in my 14 Sport sounded better than the sound system in my 06 even though the 06 RTS had the upgraded radio with a subwoofer. In the 06 the tweeters were BARELY audible while in the 14 you could definitely tell they were operating. . . .

If someone for some reason wanted to stick to OEM parts only, I would think that these tweeters would be a definite upgrade to the earlier year ones. . . .

Attachments

821 - 840 of 850 Posts
About this Discussion
849 Replies
189 Participants
Carsmak
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing