Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

861 - 869 of 869 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,198 Posts
In my 06 I had Polk coaxes in the front and rear doors and a set of polk tweeters with in line crossovers in the dash. You could attenuate the dash tweeters by altering the way they were connected if you so desired. It wasn't too bright for my tastes and it sounded much better than stock. Current system with JL components up front and JL coaxes in the rear being powered by a compact RFosgate 4 channel amplifier is major upgrade. Both of these setups were / are with the stock radio.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,037 Posts
No. The tweeters in my 14 are WORLDS better than the tweeters in my 06. The 06 was even a RTS model with a sub and my 14 is a Sport with no sub so it is the lower trim level stereo. The 14s tweeter is a poly cone and has a real magnet on it that actually has some heft. It definitely puts out better sound than the tweeters on my 06 which you really could only barely hear.
As to the question if it is worth the upgrade? I honestly don't know . . .I replaced all my speakers and tweeters with decent quality components and powered them with an outboard amp. The system sounds lovely now. Swapping out just the tweeter on a 14 (assuming it has the yellow poly cone tweeters) will probably be an improvement but not like it was for the absolute crap tweeters that were in my 06. Have fun!
That's most certainly news to me. In all my years here I never remember seeing any thread or post that confirmed the audio systems or components were any different at all from 06-14. The stock tweeters in my 07 were a soft silk dome, which I typically like the sound of MUCH better. They give a much more soothing high end rather than being bright or harsh. However, the construction and material use of the stock tweeters never amounted to what one would think their output should be. They just didn't produce much sound. If you're saying the tweeters in your 14 were a poly cone and had a different setup, I wonder when that change was made? IIRC, the supplier for the G1 speakers was Pioneer, so maybe Honda changed the model at some point?

For reference, I agree with the comments recommending a component set in the front. I initially started with a component set of Jensen Carbon 65C's. These were VERY highly underrated and overlooked as the construction of them was great. They had a very light poly cone, strong magnets, large voice coils, full crossover circuitry, and soft silk dome tweeters. They had very high sensitivity ratings, which allowed me to use them with my Pioneer head unit without a component amp. They may have sounded even better WITH an amp, but I was satisfied with them without. About a year ago, the passenger side mid bass driver gave up. When I took the door panel apart, I realized that, at some point, the protective sticker covering the center hole in the magnet had come off and the inside of the speaker had rusted solid. Nine years in a northern climate will do that, I guess. I didn't particularly care about the quality of the replacement speakers as I don't drive much. I simply bought a pair of cheapo JBL components that had an even cheaper set of tweeters with inline resistors acting as a crossover. I retained the Jensen crossovers and tweeters, and just used the midbass drivers. The sensitivity of these isn't quite as high as the Jensens, so they don't put out the same amount of sound, but they'll do.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,198 Posts
That's most certainly news to me. In all my years here I never remember seeing any thread or post that confirmed the audio systems or components were any different at all from 06-14. The stock tweeters in my 07 were a soft silk dome, which I typically like the sound of MUCH better. They give a much more soothing high end rather than being bright or harsh. However, the construction and material use of the stock tweeters never amounted to what one would think their output should be. They just didn't produce much sound. If you're saying the tweeters in your 14 were a poly cone and had a different setup, I wonder when that change was made? IIRC, the supplier for the G1 speakers was Pioneer, so maybe Honda changed the model at some point?

For reference, I agree with the comments recommending a component set in the front. I initially started with a component set of Jensen Carbon 65C's. These were VERY highly underrated and overlooked as the construction of them was great. They had a very light poly cone, strong magnets, large voice coils, full crossover circuitry, and soft silk dome tweeters. They had very high sensitivity ratings, which allowed me to use them with my Pioneer head unit without a component amp. They may have sounded even better WITH an amp, but I was satisfied with them without. About a year ago, the passenger side mid bass driver gave up. When I took the door panel apart, I realized that, at some point, the protective sticker covering the center hole in the magnet had come off and the inside of the speaker had rusted solid. Nine years in a northern climate will do that, I guess. I didn't particularly care about the quality of the replacement speakers as I don't drive much. I simply bought a pair of cheapo JBL components that had an even cheaper set of tweeters with inline resistors acting as a crossover. I retained the Jensen crossovers and tweeters, and just used the midbass drivers. The sensitivity of these isn't quite as high as the Jensens, so they don't put out the same amount of sound, but they'll do.
I posted my "discovery" of the improved tweeters in this very thread, post #840. I included a picture in my post. Pimp Your Factory Sound In 15 minutes

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
I posted my "discovery" of the improved tweeters in this very thread, post #841. I included a picture in my post. Pimp Your Factory Sound In 15 minutes
Totally missed that. I can say that those '14 stock tweeters are most definitely completely different than the earlier model years. I'm not on here as much as I used to be, but I still haven't seen a when or why Honda replaced these with the upgraded component. I agree that the earlier design tweeters were almost inaudible even though their construction seemed pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,415 Posts
Totally missed that. I can say that those '14 stock tweeters are most definitely completely different than the earlier model years. I'm not on here as much as I used to be, but I still haven't seen a when or why Honda replaced these with the upgraded component. I agree that the earlier design tweeters were almost inaudible even though their construction seemed pretty good.
When you get old enough, you probably won't be able to hear them anyway... even the upgraded tweeters! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I upgraded mine a few years ago and at first they were almost too crisp. Over time, at least to me, they have settled down some and have found their happy spot. Still a great option for a quick sound improvement and still highly recommended.

·
Registered
10,037 Posts
When you get old enough, you probably won't be able to hear them anyway... even the upgraded tweeters! ;)
Ha! I'm pretty certain I likely damaged my hearing a bit in my younger days when I was really into mobile audio. Of course, when you're in your late teens and early 20's, you're not particularly concerned with the long-term effects of high SPL's. You just want your thumpin' 12's in the trunk. That's when it was easy to rip out a head unit and add an amp(s) and subs. Now in my late 30's, I enjoy balanced, well-tuned sound output at a low to moderate level. Maybe I am getting old after all... :)

Reactions: speedlever

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,415 Posts
861 - 869 of 869 Posts