Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem that seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

When I need(or more usually want:D) to get up to speed quickly, I will run the RPM up to 6000, or just under the redline at 6250rpm. From about 5500-6000 the engine will ping. When I got the truck, it the pinging was BARELY noticable and my dad who was a mechanic said that it was normal for the smaller, higher compression gas engines. As of late (at 21000mi) the pinging has gotten quite a bit worse. My oil life is at 70%. Normally I buy junk regular unleaded, usually looking up the cheapest stuff at www.vegasgasprices.com, and end up at a mom and pop indie station or sam's club. Just for a guess, I ran a tank of 7-11 premium 91 octane and this DID ELIMINATE ALL PINGING. Do I need 91, or am I just getting deposits and a few tanks of 91 will clean it out, or is something going wrong with the engine? I did a ODBII check and there NO codes. The temp is normal, and the engine is warmed up, as I do baby it until it warm.

Fyi, cheap gas is 87 and $2.58 a gal, chevron 87 is $2.71, and 91 is going for $2.87 at 7-11, at $2.91 at Chevron. (I got 7-11 only because my cell phone blocked my gas gauge and when I noticed is was at the bottom of the red E)

PS I did try to do a search here for ping, but nothing for a high RPM/hard acceleration situation.

Thanks Paul

·
Registered
322 Posts
sounds like bad gas, try some tums...
then try using brand name fuel for your vehicle. You may also be getting deposits and build up on injectors from using cheap fuel, you may want to look into running a tank with some injector cleaner. Using good regular 87 fuel should not give you a problem.:)

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
Alrighty now... I just have to ask. What is the difference in the quality of cheap gas vs name brand gas?

I suspect there is little, although the individual dispensing station may not maintain the storage tanks in optimal condition leading to dispensing contaminated gas.

I've heard others here say that the tankers fill up at the same terminal and the only difference is an additive put in during the time the tanker is being filled. If this is true, then I see no benefit in paying more for a name brand gas as long as the dispensing station does a good job with storage.... same for the name brand dispensing station too. Unless you just have to have that additive.

Am I wrong?

·
Registered
205 Posts
On one of my motorcycle forums, there's a guy who works in the gas industry and he broke down what makes cheap gas cheap. I gotta find the thread again, but it comes down to the ingredients. The cheaper gas uses more alcohol which isn't the best for an engine over a long period of time. I'm PMing him over there to see if he can link me to it, in case I'm not correct.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Honda and a few other auto manufacturers have come up with a detergent for gas companies to use to keep this from happening. Look up Tier 1 fuels or Top tier fuels (Don't remember which). You should be able to locate fuel stations that are tier 1 around your area from somewhere on that website.

Cheap gas is just that....cheap. Run quality fuels and you will have less problems. For now try some injector cleaner or fuel system cleaner in a tank of gas and see if that helps.

·
Registered
365 Posts
The 3.5 will make more power on premium by advancing the timing, but backs off based on the fuel used (regular). So yeah, I heard the pinging when I first got mine, but switched to 93 octane. More power and no pinging... As the temps get cooler, you get a denser air charge and will notice the pinging more. I have read that you can expect +10 hp and same in torque by giving it premium. I'll take all that I can get and am happy with the increase. Putting synthetic into the crankcase helps squeeze out a few ponies also.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just filled up my 07 with 23 gallons of 93 for the first time and I have noticed the extra power. It took a little bit to work out the 2 gallons of 87 I had at the bottom, but now I can feel the 93. I fill it up until I can see the gas right at the opening. It's pretty sweet and its making me want to slap an intake and a nice throaty, semi italian sounding exhaust on there so I get all the horses awake. The gas paired with the cooler night time air gives it a nice bump. Even got all four spinning in the rain the other day and boy was I excited. :D

·
Registered
5,878 Posts
I just filled up my 07 with 23 gallons of 93 for the first time and I have noticed the extra power.:D
Agree on the fuel but why would you do that other stuff?:confused: Mine barked the tires off the line yesterday and surprised me on premium. Got the job done though.:D Dare say the mpg won't be any better.;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I am down to 1/4tank of the 3rd tank of 93. I am hoping that the 93 clear out any gunk left from the cheap stuff. Every thing sound good now, but I will now switch to chevron 89. Here in Las Vegas all regular gas is the same, with the exception of the additives. It come from a 14" pipeline. I'll let you know what happens......

Here is a link to some info for tier 1 gas
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OT Re: Pinging under hard acceleration and high RPM

I just filled up my 07 with 23 gallons of 93 for the first time and I have noticed the extra power. It took a little bit to work out the 2 gallons of 87 I had at the bottom, but now I can feel the 93. I fill it up until I can see the gas right at the opening. It's pretty sweet and its making me want to slap an intake and a nice throaty, semi italian sounding exhaust on there so I get all the horses awake. The gas paired with the cooler night time air gives it a nice bump. Even got all four spinning in the rain the other day and boy was I excited. :D
ajmchief1, do you drive all the time with traction control off or is it broken? I haven't turned traction control off since I got it and drove in snow at the local ski resort. I got the ridgeline FOR the transaction control. I thought that spinning any tires, much less all 4 wasn't possible. I know they slip a bit until it kicks in, but all 4? Was there ice? :confused: Just curious...

·
Super Moderator
23,966 Posts
23 gallons? Are you sure? Tank only holds 22!

Beware of contaminating the vapor recovery system by filling to the brim. It can be an expensive repair.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
23 gallons? Are you sure? Tank only holds 22!

Beware of contaminating the vapor recovery system by filling to the brim. It can be an expensive repair.
I like the way the last two gallons of 87 stayed at the bottom of the tank so he could get rid of it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Lets see he added 23 gallons and still had two in the bottom?????

There is no way he got 25 gallons in the tank. Unless the pump he has been using is ripping people off.

I would report that station to the people that do the certification of pumps.

·
Super Moderator
23,966 Posts
I like the way the last two gallons of 87 stayed at the bottom of the tank so he could get rid of it. :rolleyes:
Didn't you know? Different octanes don't mix. The higher the octane number, the lighter the gas. The octanes stratify from the bottom up, lower numbers on bottom; higher numbers on top. I know it's true because I read it on the internet.

Or something like that.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.