Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a problem that seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

When I need(or more usually want:D) to get up to speed quickly, I will run the RPM up to 6000, or just under the redline at 6250rpm. From about 5500-6000 the engine will ping. When I got the truck, it the pinging was BARELY noticable and my dad who was a mechanic said that it was normal for the smaller, higher compression gas engines. As of late (at 21000mi) the pinging has gotten quite a bit worse. My oil life is at 70%. Normally I buy junk regular unleaded, usually looking up the cheapest stuff at www.vegasgasprices.com, and end up at a mom and pop indie station or sam's club. Just for a guess, I ran a tank of 7-11 premium 91 octane and this DID ELIMINATE ALL PINGING. Do I need 91, or am I just getting deposits and a few tanks of 91 will clean it out, or is something going wrong with the engine? I did a ODBII check and there NO codes. The temp is normal, and the engine is warmed up, as I do baby it until it warm.

Fyi, cheap gas is 87 and $2.58 a gal, chevron 87 is $2.71, and 91 is going for $2.87 at 7-11, at $2.91 at Chevron. (I got 7-11 only because my cell phone blocked my gas gauge and when I noticed is was at the bottom of the red E)

PS I did try to do a search here for ping, but nothing for a high RPM/hard acceleration situation.

Thanks Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I am down to 1/4tank of the 3rd tank of 93. I am hoping that the 93 clear out any gunk left from the cheap stuff. Every thing sound good now, but I will now switch to chevron 89. Here in Las Vegas all regular gas is the same, with the exception of the additives. It come from a 14" pipeline. I'll let you know what happens......

Here is a link to some info for tier 1 gas
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OT Re: Pinging under hard acceleration and high RPM

I just filled up my 07 with 23 gallons of 93 for the first time and I have noticed the extra power. It took a little bit to work out the 2 gallons of 87 I had at the bottom, but now I can feel the 93. I fill it up until I can see the gas right at the opening. It's pretty sweet and its making me want to slap an intake and a nice throaty, semi italian sounding exhaust on there so I get all the horses awake. The gas paired with the cooler night time air gives it a nice bump. Even got all four spinning in the rain the other day and boy was I excited. :D
ajmchief1, do you drive all the time with traction control off or is it broken? I haven't turned traction control off since I got it and drove in snow at the local ski resort. I got the ridgeline FOR the transaction control. I thought that spinning any tires, much less all 4 wasn't possible. I know they slip a bit until it kicks in, but all 4? Was there ice? :confused: Just curious...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.