Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the factory connection pinout for the rear camera for the RTL w/ Navi? I'd like to install a camera in the rear, just not the way Honda designed it......on the tailgate! I'd like to put a small camera such as the license plate frame camera in the rear. But I need to know how the factory kit connector is pinned. I cant beleive this should be difficult and IMHO would look a lot better. :D

Vinny

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
vincent007 said:
Does anyone know the factory connection pinout for the rear camera for the RTL w/ Navi? I'd like to install a camera in the rear, just not the way Honda designed it......on the tailgate! I'd like to put a small camera such as the license plate frame camera in the rear. But I need to know how the factory kit connector is pinned. I cant beleive this should be difficult and IMHO would look a lot better. :D

Vinny
Be sure the license plate frame fits. There is limited space in the back where the plate goes. :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
The rearview camera uses a 6-pin connector:

1 (Yellow) Video
2 (White) Video Ground
3 (Blue) Camera Adpt
4 (Black) Camera Sh
5 (Brown) Camera Ground
6 (red) Camera VCC

I have no idea what Adpt and Sh are. If you ever figure this out, please let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
vincent 007 - I really want to install a rear camera also but dont want the bubble mount on the tailgate either. Haven't really looked into any alternatives yet. Like the one you show in license frame.

Not sure but you may ned a Honda adaptor at $500.00. One would think there would be other after market adaptors available at a cheaper price.

Read this post by Mike B, where an adaptor is mentiond.http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=3027

Not sure if this will help.

Joe

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now that I have the pinout, I just need the harness( I think). As for the camera adapter, lets just hope that there is nothing "funky" in ther. I just planning, I'm not really sure of all of the components needed.

In reverence to the pinot, The adpt probably has something to do with the "honda camera adapter....

we'll see

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
vincent007 said:
Now that I have the pinout, I just need the harness( I think). As for the camera adapter, lets just hope that there is nothing "funky" in ther. I just planning, I'm not really sure of all of the components needed.
I don't want to beat this to death but:

After reading Mike B post again I don't think he is refering to a cable adaptor. He used the words "$500.00 PART"

Cable adaptors (6pin connectors) like you are refering to would only coast a few dollars. I have a feeling it would be more involved than a cable adaptor to integrate an other than Honda camera with the Navi.

BTW, vertrkr did an excellent install with the standard Honda rear camera mounted Centered on the tailgate below the tailgate handle which is what I will do if I get the all Honda insatll. http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10085#post10085

There is another post, that I can't find, where the camera was installed down next to the trailer hitch receiver which also looks great. That camera is a non Honda, I believe, and he would probably would know how to adapt the camera to the Navi.

Now that I looked at SixOpRidge's post below, I believe ridgeline5 may have used the OEM camera.

·
Registered
233 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
vincent007 said:

Vinny
HEY VINNY, IF THIS WORKS OUT GREAT FOR YOUR RIDGELINE, BE SURE TO LET ME KNOW DIRECTLY PLEASE. I PLAN TO ADD THE REAR VIEW CAMERA NEXT YEAR! THANKS! :)

TONY

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just ordered my shop manual. I want to have that handy before I start on this. It may be a while since i dont have a garage and its getting brrrrrr...cccccold here in the North East.

But i will let everyone know if this works out.

Vinny :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had mine installed just under the rear bumper which works perfectly. I'll try to take some pix soon. Oh, and it was $450 INSTALLED.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
RTL44 said:
I had mine installed just under the rear bumper which works perfectly. I'll try to take some pix soon. Oh, and it was $450 INSTALLED.
Was that for the Honda OEM back up camera?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The rearview camera uses a 6-pin connector:

1 (Yellow) Video
2 (White) Video Ground
3 (Blue) Camera Adpt
4 (Black) Camera Sh
5 (Brown) Camera Ground
6 (red) Camera VCC

I have no idea what Adpt and Sh are. If you ever figure this out, please let me know.

Hey boss, (@djdj)
I know this was written almost a decade ago, but just in case... Would you happen to know which pins must be jumpered together?
Btw, to answer your original question, which probably doesn't apply any longer, I think the "Sh" stands for "Shield" (ground), while "Adpt" might mean Adaptive ("Control signal for rearview camera").

See you later, man. No worries if you're not into this any longer or don't feel like responding at all...

-Peter

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
'Was worth reading this just to see the familiar tag of "Joz Ridg" in previous post. It's been a while!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Damn, so without knowing which pins need to be jumpered together, I tried them all to no cigar. I did 3+4, 3+5, 3+6, 4+5, 4+6, 5+6 and got nothing on the stock screen. I get video on a portable TV every time I switch into reverse, but nothing on the stock screen. What am I doing wrong ya'll think?

Thanks,
Peter

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hey boss, (@djdj)
I know this was written almost a decade ago, but just in case... Would you happen to know which pins must be jumpered together?
Btw, to answer your original question, which probably doesn't apply any longer, I think the "Sh" stands for "Shield" (ground), while "Adpt" might mean Adaptive ("Control signal for rearview camera").

See you later, man. No worries if you're not into this any longer or don't feel like responding at all...

-Peter
It sounds like you're trying to force the factory nav to switch on the camera at will? I've never had the factory nav so I'm not exactly sure what that would take, but I'd guess it has something to do with the Reverse signal coming from the gear selector.

Terminal 5 of Connector "C" on the Nav unit (a green wire) is pulled up to battery voltage when the transmission is in reverse, 0V otherwise. That's probably what you're looking for.

·
Registered
69 Posts
It sounds like you're trying to force the factory nav to switch on the camera at will? I've never had the factory nav so I'm not exactly sure what that would take, but I'd guess it has something to do with the Reverse signal coming from the gear selector.

Terminal 5 of Connector "C" on the Nav unit (a green wire) is pulled up to battery voltage when the transmission is in reverse, 0V otherwise. That's probably what you're looking for.
The camera already comes on when shifted into reverse because it gets its power from the white backup lights and comes on right away. That part works. I'm not quite sure about the connector "C" as you called it and its coloring. There is no green color in your original post...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm all set. All done. It finally works. The reason why it took me two weeks instead of a few hours is because the OP never mentioned the fact that he was using a 6-pin connector in a 7-pin hole, skipping one pin altogether. The pictures show it, sure enough, but I didn't see that, I only followed text, which didn't mention this. So I did the rest of it two weeks ago, but that piece of the puzzle had me scratching my head for two weeks. Finally done, thanks to schwejo, who pointed this out to me and made me see the light. Also thanks to everyone else who contributed and made me stay interested, thinking, and sane :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts