Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hello techs. I know some of you are well versed in troubleshooting aftermarket Head Units. This is a RIdgeline 2006 RTS. and I was attempting to install the Boss R1100M Monoblock AMP in this truck and still keep my OEM sub-woofer. When I attempted to connect the RCA wires to the rear of the Pioneer Head unit, and reinstall the head unit I noted that there is no power to the unit whatsoever....HUM? Woowithme. I've checked the radio fuse inside the truck and it doesn't show blown but i did note a bit of dark film on the outside posts as if to say they may have gotten hot or over heated but the fuse inside the plastic appears intact. I'm going to purchase a pack of 10 amp fuses and replace it tomorrow and I hope that's the problem. I did run back through all the wiring
as to check the multiple connections as I did add on an antennae relay, a SiriusXM Relay, and a few other accessories.
Question: Are there any other fuses that might affect the radio or is this the only one I need to focus on? The only next thing I will do is REWIrE the entire radio over again to ascertain that I have all good connections, but I shouldn't have to do that since I did it properly the first time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
To my knowledge, the factory sub is powered by the factory head unit.
I’m a little confused by your post but thought I should mention: RCA jacks only provide line-level signal (non-powered).

When you say you have no power, are you referring to the head unit or the amp?

If you had power to your head unit before, then something must have come undone with your red, black, or blue wires within the head unit pigtail.
I would start by checking those connections and repairing as needed.

Is the head unit new?

If no power to amp: ensure you have a solid connection of the red wire either direct to the battery with the “remote” wire (usually blue) connected to the blue wire behind the head unit, or wired to an open fuse (a little more complex).
Ensure your ground wire (black) has a good, clean ground (scrape any paint away if creating a new ground to the body).

I hope this helps - good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
To my knowledge, the factory sub is powered by the factory head unit.
I’m a little confused by your post but thought I should mention: RCA jacks only provide line-level signal (non-powered).

When you say you have no power, are you referring to the head unit or the amp?

If you had power to your head unit before, then something must have come undone with your red, black, or blue wires within the head unit pigtail.
I would start by checking those connections and repairing as needed.

Is the head unit new?

If no power to amp: ensure you have a solid connection of the red wire either direct to the battery with the “remote” wire (usually blue) connected to the blue wire behind the head unit, or wired to an open fuse (a little more complex).
Ensure your ground wire (black) has a good, clean ground (scrape any paint away if creating a new ground to the body).

I hope this helps - good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks so much, Taptalk, and thanks for the quick response...I'm always amazed by you guys who seem to be here every day, day in and day out.
Yes, the m going to start with the fuses in truck as I've already checked head unit fuse.
I do have and want to try to connect my original Factory sub-woofer to my new Boss R1100M amp and fairly new Head unit.
I'm hoping I didnt blow the head unit as it's barely 2 yrs old but the fuse in rear of head unit was not blown so I'm hoping all iui a good.
Thanks again. I think after I replace both fuses, I will try a 2nd bypass line to power to see if that gives power to head unit. That should tell me if the wire harnesses with added accessories are causing the disconnect.
Question. I'm hoping the connections to power (ignition-key), like the SiriusXM or the steering wheel are not stopping the power from engaging?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,399 Posts
Do you have a multimeter? Check for power to the radio power with the ignition turned on. You can also check continuity across the fuse with the multimeter.

I'm not sure why you have multiple threads on this subject? The background info from your other threads would help people to understand your situation . . . .

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This question references the rear fan on an aftermarket Pioneer avh4200nex head unit. I noted the rear fan on the back of the head unit was inop. Is this normal when first coming on, or should the fan begin operating as soon as or soon after the access key is turned on and vehicle is running? I did note that the read head unit seemed hot but I'm sure some of that is normal? This is on my 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTS Truck

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is perfect. Thanks a lot dude. I think I'm going to replace the speakers and add in a sub and an amp. I'll get a 5 channel amp instead of a mono. As for the interfacing, is an LOC something that is required for my stock head unit? If so, how many outputs should I be looking for?
snaptube vidmate

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I wanted to thank those who bared with me through my attempt to install a BOSS R1100M Amp and for the Gentleman who referred me to my manual for the Aftermarket avh4200nex I have installed with that R1100M BOSS amp..
A simple testing of fuses, (and verify more than once you have the correct fuse ).
Fuses in a G1 interior accessory fuse casing run top to bottom 1-11, 12-22, 23-32, depending on your options or G-1 type. On my truck #5 is my Radio accessory using a 7.5 fuse..
I just wanted to personally thank you professionals, and techs who come here regularly to give clear, concise and professional advise on all matters of Honda Ridgelines and other Vehicles.. there's something about these vehicles ,G-1 series, that far out-lives most other vehicles on the road today. But more importantly, it's a vehicle of little maintenance when preventative maintenance is maintained regularly. I have already saved tens of thousands of dollars on this vehicle in its 14 and running.
Thank you all

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Well, I'm back already. I think my radio drank too many Coronas.
I have that Pooneer AVH 4200 Nex Head unit in my 2006 Honda Ridge. I connected the BOSS R1100M monoblock AMP and finally got all working great with my original OEM factory Subwoofer ..love the BASS sound.
Now, the Hff head unit clicks off after a 5 minute playing time.
I did note that someone said not to run the RCA Cables together next to the Power source wire as it might cause problems, but I also noted the. Cooling fan motor in the rear of the unit doesn't work.

I'm ordering a new fan motor now but was wondering if anyone has experienced this same problem.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Two just FYI's ...
  • If the AVH-4200NEX is shutting down due to overheat it should be giving you a "TEMP" warning on the display (see page 67>68 in manual re: Error messages > TEMP > Product overheat). The fan does not operate continuously, it's thermostat (internal heat sensor) controlled. It's possible that IF the fan is not cycling correctly the problem is not with the fan motor but with the internal heat sensor(s) or associated fan-control logic.
  • Running RCA's parallel adjacent to a power cable over a long distance may induce noise in the signal carried by the RCA cable(s); it will not have any effect on the power cable / power continuity.
I'm not perfectly clear on whether it's the AVH-4200NEX itself that's shutting down after ~5 minutes or the signal from the music source (e.g. smartphone? External USB flashdrive?) that's being interrupted?

You might test to see if the 'shutdown' occurs even when just listening to the radio on the AVH-4200NEX (an 'internal' music source rather than an 'external' music source). If it still does the shutdown thing then yeah, the problem is likely inside the AVH-4200NEX.

IF the problem is occurring only when using an external music source connected to the AVH-4200NEX via USB cable, I'd focus the troubleshooting on the USB cable itself - trying different / higher quality brands of USB cable. Unfortunately many off-brands can suffer cable-related issues. Same might apply to the flashdrive itself if the problem is when playing music from an external USB flashdrive (the drive itself could be overheating, I've had that happen with some of the very tiny (talking physical size, not GB capacity) 'thumbnail' flash drives). Edit for clarity / disclosure - my comments re: USB cables / drives is based on experience with other HU's, not the AVH-4200NEX specifically.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts