Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2007 Ridgeline RT from John Eagle Honda here in Houston, TX. As the RT is the base model, there aren't a lot of bells and whistles, and my first upgrade was the stereo. As I have an iPhone 3G, iPod/iPhone integration was the most important factor in my decision. I had a Kenwood unit with a Peripherals iPod connector in my old Accord that worked great with regular iPods, but would not work (no charging, no audio) with my iPhone 3G. After doing a little research, I found a Pioneer DEH-P3100UB (single DIN) that fit the bill. It has a USB plug, and a AUX in on the front panel. The coolest thing, other than the fact that it works perfectly with my iPhone 3G, is that you have the option to control the iPhone (when it's plugged into the USB port) through the head unit, or through the iPhone itself. Pioneer calls this the "passenger control mode". It's so much easier, in my opinion, to control things using the iPhone interface, and it charges my phone in both modes.

I was going to install it myself like I always have, but I had to go to Car Toys to pick up a mounting kit. It was only $55.00 to install it, so I figured I would let them do it. Since it's only a single DIN unit, the mounting kit adds another storage compartment directly under the stereo. The sound is great; much better and louder than the factory unit. It comes with a remote, which is great since I don't have the steering wheel audio controls. The menu system is going to take a while to get used to, however. Like anything new, I'm sure it will just take some time to familiarize myself with it. I don't use Sirius/XM/HD Radio/Bluetooth, so I can't speak to those functions, but all in all, I am very pleased.

I picked up the unit at Best Buy, and they price matched it with Wal-Mart. BB had it for $150.00 at the time of this writing, and Wal-Mart had it for $130.00. The mounting kit was $20.00, the wiring harness was $15.00, and the antenna adapter was $15.00. If I were a patient man, I would have ordered it from Crutchfield and installed it myself. Crutchfield has it for $140.00, but the mounting kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter are free with purchase of the unit. Not a bad deal at all!

Be aware that some salespeople are not aware of the passenger control mode for the iPod/iPhone. My salesperson assumed you could only control your iPhone through the head unit, and was surprised to see that with the push of a button, it released control and allowed me to use the iPhone controls instead.

I'll post the installed pic later if anyone is interested in seeing it. Here is the internet pic of the face.

pioneer.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am really interested in seeing how it tools installed. It looks like a clean unit, and I am trying to decide to go single or double DIN right now but have only seen pics of 2 DIN units.

Thanks
Justin

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
Here is my fully loaded with every option kenwood dnx7100 double din installed. It charges my ipod while playing it and i control the ipod through the radio instead of searching for a song on the ipod causing an accident while driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am really interested in seeing how it tools installed. It looks like a clean unit, and I am trying to decide to go single or double DIN right now but have only seen pics of 2 DIN units.

Thanks
Justin
I'll take a pic so you can see it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts