Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with this head unit.. I'm planning on purchase for my o6 RTL, I'm debating either JVC or pioneer.. Want to spend around 350 for head unit, and the access steering wheel kit.. I'm ordering from sonic so I know they supply harness and install kit....

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Does anyone have experience with this head unit.. I'm planning on purchase for my o6 RTL, I'm debating either JVC or pioneer.. Want to spend around 350 for head unit, and the access steering wheel kit.. I'm ordering from sonic so I know they supply harness and install kit....
The 3700 has been in my 06 for several months now. Like all consumer products, it has it limitations and quirks.

On the up side, Pioneer's software is mature and as bug free as can be expected. The user has control over nearly everything from cosmetics such as backlight color & background themes to audio like active crossover points, equalization, time alignment and a whole bunch more. The onboard DAC is competent for processing files imported using Apple Lossless. The other stuff like dual camera inputs and BT handsfree seem to operate well, although selecting camera 2 is a bit clunky.

IMO: the device is sonically excellent. It has a very low noise floor, great dynamic range with broad/flat frequency response. The onboard power amp delivers as much as can be expected for a class D - I wouldn't rate it any better/worse than others in its class. Things really come alive when using out-board amps.

On the quirky side, there are some limitations in processing power and/or software at the user interface level, specifically, when the user has certain basic functions on screen. For example:
When a volume adjustment is made, the level is temporarily displayed as a bar graph at the bottom of the display. If another command is input, such as channel up when in radio or iPod mode, it requires two button pushes to initiate a new command. The first button push clears the bar graph, the second executes the requested operation. This theme follows through every screen event. Whatever temporary display is being shown to the user must either time out before a new command is executed or be cleared by a new button push before the second button push is accepted.

Same thing goes when an external file source is connected via USB, but with an added wrinkle. When an iPod is connected and in random play mode, as the user scans up/down a list of files, those commands are queued for execution. What I mean is, if the user wants to skip up three tunes, each up command must be initialized to the point where artist/album/tune/genre/art work are displayed and the file begins to play before the next up command is executed, and so on. This results in (what appears to be) a lethargic response from the system, and it can be frustrating until the user adapts to other navigation options - and there are plenty.

Some users might see these quirks and not give them a second thought. In my case, I've adapted over the course of months. In total, I'll excuse quirkiness in favor of sound quality and audio features, and the Pioneer delivers that.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, my question is for 350.00 which model pioneer can I get with DVD, rear camera input, iPod..rear aux/USB, 4volts output???

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Not all that familiar with prices from various retailers but the 3700 you mentioned is squarely in that price range & has the features you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now I understand there is a method for parking brake bypass..do you ground the brake wire to chasis, will that hurt anything

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ohsix, I saw that and pretty easy hook up, 3 wires and done, and cheap...

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hows the HD work, I have iPod touch 5, all I need is iPod cable to hook up to USB on head unit??

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Hows the HD work, I have iPod touch 5, all I need is iPod cable to hook up to USB on head unit??
Go back to the first response to your question about the 3700. You'll note comments about Pioneer's software control behavior with the iPod. But I doubt the quirks noted are exclusive to Pioneer's implementation. Most likely, command delays and such are the result of data buss rates between the iPod and the H.U. In other words, the lethargic behavior I mentioned is universal across all manufacturers.

The short answer is yes, all you need is an iPod cable. The Pioneer is supplied with a USB extension cable for that purpose.

The Pioneer's DAC (digital audio converter) is competent, but a note about file formatting in iTunes and export to iPod(s). If someone is purchasing their music via iTunes or other sources, the files are compressed, which, IMO is tragic. There are practical reasons to compress music files (such as download speeds over IP) but MP3 and other compression schemes have done much to degrade audio playback quality, which is a real shame. There is literally an entire generation of humans who have no idea how what they are missing.

But I ramble.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very nice input, another question about hooking up my back up camera, I heard you have to tap into reverse wire or is their easier route???will camera come on automatic when in reverse??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts