Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several years of debate and procrastination I Plasti Dip'd my grill over the weekend.

This could not have been easier - I taped off around the grill and made sure to cover the headlights. I cleaned the area first. I applied three coats waiting 30 minutes or more in between. Each coat took less than 5 minutes to apply. The tape came right off and here are my results.

Keep in mind I have never painted anything on a vehicle ever....

on to the wheels....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,267 Posts
Good Job, and looks good too

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
Looking good, I wish I had done my grill that way instead of spraying with paint.
I had done my grille with spray paint but this weekend I did the bumper cross member with PD (plasti-dip). The hardest part is getting straight lines on the sides. The PD process calls for multiple coats. Coat one is about 50% coverage. Four or more coats, each 5-10 minutes apart and you are done.

What I didn't know was there is a technique to getting straight lines. This is covered in depth on you-tube. Basically if PD is allowed to dry when the tape is pulled you end up with uneven lines. So tape off the area with painters tape and newspaper, but leave about a half inch to the right and left of the sides. Then you can add another layer of tape on the sides. This final layer of tape will be pulled before the PD is allowed to dry, giving straight lines. Another layer of tape will be applied to the sides before the next coat, and again pulled after spraying while still wet. Repeat for each coat. The thing that had stopped me from going with PD before was my thought that if you got a tear or ding in the PD, it would have to be peeled off and redone. This weekend I found that by using mineral spirits on the tear you can smoothen out the edges (liquid sanding), and re-spray for as good as new results. I had to do this on the sides after I had pulled the tape when dry. Again you-tube has all the tutorials. Look up 'Dip Your Car' on You-Tube.

Attachments

Reactions: 45stang

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Alevenso ---- LOOKS GREAT !

Heli ---- So have you considered now PD over your painted grill?? That way you'd get the match you're looking for? It seems to me that would look great also. ;)

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
The beauty of PD is that you get to experiment. If you don't like the result you can rip it off. I'm still deciding which way I will go, or not at all. If I was starting over I would only use PD.

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Speaking of dipped grills...

What IS it with women and their rules about car parts in the house?
Good thing she was out and about when I pulled this one off.

A hot bath, hung out to dry, a cooling alcohol rub down, a little Eastwood chassis black on the brushed grill, and a quick fit with the chrome H.

Grill_1.jpg

Didn't care for the chrome so went with 5 coats of Plasti dip Smoke. All done.

WashIt_5.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ii did the chrome on my grill area yesterday. Have any of you used car wax or ceramic coating on it to help with bug removal? I don't want to apply something and have the coating peal off!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts