Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone coating the chrome with plasti dip yet? Post some photos! Show us your work!

as for me, Long time reader, finally bit the bullet and registered so i could start posting. The ads and slow scroll speeds as a guest were killing me :laugh: So far I have added a sport grille, unfortunately it does not come black chrome like all the pics represent, there's still a chrome strip so i plasti-dipped the chrome along with the rear badges on the tailgate. the window chrome trim and rear bumper inserts will be next, cheers!

·
Premium Member
608 Posts
Welcome to the ROC. Ya, those guest load times can kill you. Glad to have you 'officially' on board.

How about photos of your work? and/or your RL. As they say: pic, or it didn't happen.:grin:

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
GTRdone, please post some pics. I'm very interested in your results. Did you use any glossifier or clear on top of the color? I ave plasti dipped some wheels before and they turned out great. Easy and cheap to do as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it seems i must upload the pics to photobucket first then host the link, unless i'm doing something wrong? some forums you can upload a photo directly. My avatar is actually the rear tailgate badge. I know it's hard to see.

I watched endless videos and looked at photos online then played with different plasti dip enhancers. in the end, i used a regular rattle can of black plasti dip, sprayed a thin coat every 10 minutes then let it dry for an extra 30, then peeled it off. the finish is a rubbery matte black finish that looks pretty darn good. if you mess up, or it doesn't suit your taste buds, you can always peel it off with no harm done to the badge. I used to use krylon fusion satin for plastics, I painted a front lip spoiler on an old STI back in the day and it was a perfect match, but again paint is permanent. with plasti dip you can goto town and peel it off.

As far as enhancers go, i tried the metalizer, but to me it's like sprinkling large glitter flakes into black paint, just wasn't for me. if you want a fine sparkle that looks like most grey oem trim, then try the pearlizer. it's a micro fine white glitter what gives a nice sheen over the black plasti dip that gives it an almost competition grey look found on most corvette wheels. a little goes a long way on the pearlizer and spray technique is critical with this one. i did not try the glossifier, not after a gloss look, more of a semi-gloss / satin / matte finish. whew that was a long one! I'll try and take some decent photos and see if i still have a photobucket account to upload a few snap shots :) here's a link to fonzies DYC that shows what metalizer and pearlizer does over regular plasti dip. wait till you see the difference on the wheels!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I thought i read on here someone said to have your first coat kind of heavy it peals off easier if not wanted and still held up great but several lite coats were a hassle to get off.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm going to peel my 4 light coats now and will report back. Going to spray 3 heavy coats for a more even coating and see what it looks like in the sunlight tomorrow.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
plasti dip came right off the front grille, took 2 minutes to go over it completely. I tried to re-spray and didn't have much luck tonight. maybe it's the humidity. temp is about 85 in the garage. i tried a light base coat and a heavy base coat, sprayed 3-4 coats and it's all blotchy, not sure what's going on. I'll attempt again tomorrow. I want to ace this before i spray the window trim.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I thought i read on here someone said to have your first coat kind of heavy it peals off easier if not wanted and still held up great but several lite coats were a hassle to get off.
I've been using PD for years and the only time it's hard to peel off is if you don't put enough on to begin with. I always apply it in 3, 4, or 5 light coats. My first coat doesn't completely cover the surface. It's pretty light. I build from there. The more coats you put on, the easier it is to peel off.

Reactions: Jbgreen10

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I've been using PD for years and the only time it's hard to peel off is if you don't put enough on to begin with. I always apply it in 3, 4, or 5 light coats. My first coat doesn't completely cover the surface. It's pretty light. I build from there. The more coats you put on, the easier it is to peel off.
Roger that, good to know first hand from some one thats been around here awhile. Im thinkin of doin some to the wifes CRV just to make it look a bit different then the thousands drivin around here.:grin:

·
Registered
235 Posts
There are plenty of youtube videos that state this, but a lot of people try to do it the quick way by going heavy with fewer coats. PD will not cooperate and will be even harder to remove as stated. When I did the wheels on my 09 RTL I did about 4-5 coats and did 50% coverage with each coat. I'm sure the latter coats were a little heavier, but it turned out great!

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
So it might be best to do a dry run yourself and make a call. does it matter if its plastic light covers vs fake plastic chrome trim vs wheels ect........

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
So it might be best to do a dry run yourself and make a call. does it matter if its plastic light covers vs fake plastic chrome trim vs wheels ect........
My RL wheels are the first thing I ever PD'd. Knowing what I know now, I would've put two more coats on. Had I done that, I have little doubt they'd still be in perfect condition. But even though I went too light, they are still in pretty damn good shape all this time later. And I could fix them up in probably a half hour right now if I cared enough to.

Keep in mind that when you tape off areas as I did with my wheels, you need to apply your coats quickly. MAYBE 5 minutes apart. If you take too long, the PD will stick to the tape and your lines will not be crisp. But also keep in mind that if you go too heavy, you'll get runs. I've had a lot of trial and error with PD but that's the beauty of it. If you screw up, wait an hour and peel it back off.

To answer your question, I've done wheels, smooth plastics on sport bikes, grills, door handles, lights (came out like Shiite...don't recommend it), transmission engine and even exhaust covers (on my Harley), and PD has held up great. I'm actually shocked how well it has held up to the transmission case and motor cover on my Harley. That's a relatively high heat area. No issues.

I have not done crinkled plastic but I can't imagine the results would be much different.

Here's one more tip: If you heat the can for awhile in hot water or over a furnace vent, the finish will be a little smoother than if you spray it traditionally.

Anyway..The top pic was taken the day I PD'd them (still had my stock Michelins), and the bottom pic...well I just ran out to the garage and snapped it. Wheels are dirty, tires are dirty, but the PD has held up pretty damn well after 4 plus years of NWPA winter salt and summer humidity.

Attachments

Reactions: Mark White

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Here's my Harley. The wheels, engine cover, chain cover, horn cover, lower fork tubes, and instrument cluster stalk are all PlastiDip. And it's holding up very well.

Attachments

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
photos as requested!

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
a few photos added to 1st post.
Looks Great!

Suggestion for future reference: Just add pics with your new post, so we don't have to "chase" them back to original post. (& then back again if we want to commend your work ... or otherwise comment)

:wink:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts