Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time lurker/reader and very grateful for the wealth of accumulated knowledge here. You've all been extremely valuable to keep my '06 Ridgeline running well these past few years.

Now, on to my dilemna... My RL just crossed 165,000 miles and I'm finally starting to notice some aging pains. I had the TB/WP replaced at 90k miles without any issues. She burns a little oil but that's to be expected from a 10 year old vehicle with that many miles.

I bought some radiator fluid from the local Honda dealer and topped off the overflow as it had emptied since I last inspected (about a quart low). Yes, it's been awhile since I've looked at it, no shaming.

While filling and inspecting, I popped the top on the PS reservoir. Fluid level was fine but isn't clean and I'm planning a D&F very soon. Wouldn't you know it, THE VERY NEXT DAY, my truck starts with the whining. I can only extract that it's from the PS pump as the whine increases with engine RPM, though there's no, noticeable, change in steering resistance.

I've chased the electronic gremlins from HVAC driver side knob failure (still glitchy as hell), Radio backlight loss (it came back on its own one day), and the map light has a mind of its own but works most of the time.

I'm budgeting/quoting out a complete, stem-to-stern, refresh of all fluids, radiator swap, plug replacement and valve inspection...

My question to the hive mind is this; Am I pissing in the wind by continuing to invest money in a 10 year old truck with 165k or can I expect her to give me many more miles and dependability?

Thanks again, looking forward to your input.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I have a Ford 500 that started PS whine on a trip to the mountains. I'm sure it over heated with all the turning. had it flushed and changed when I got home and it's not made a peep since. That was 3 years ago.

Doing the fluids your self is pretty easy, just takes some time. If the truck is paid for it's the cheapest thing you can drive.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
As long as you spend a little dough on them every once in awhile they have many many miles in them. Heck of alot cheaper then a new vehicle nowadays.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
^^^^ I agree! Especially if you DIY; but even if you don't. This is a big differentiator between Honda/Toyota products for instance, and some others that just start "crumbling" after a while, in which case the nickle & dime syndrome is a reality.

But you can put a few bucks into those trivial components, and even new carpets, upholstery, etc., and still be way ahead in a truck like yours. You should be good for another 10 years if you choose to be. But I wouldn't worry too much that you're putting money down a rat-hole. I've done this with Hondas in the past & have never been sorry. JUST KEEP UP A GOOD MAINTENANCE SCHEDULE!

If you like it, then fix it & move along. You'll not regret it.
:wink:

Also FYI... your "squeal" might be the serpentine belt as well.... that changes with engine RPM too, if that's what you're using as your diagnostic indicator.

Good Luck with your truck! My '06 is just about where yours is now, and I'm no where close to considering the end of the road for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also FYI... your "squeal" might be the serpentine belt as well.... that changes with engine RPM too, if that's what you're using as your diagnostic indicator.
Thanks for the input. I'm certain this is a whine and not a squeal. Also changes in frequency as the steering wheel is turned so it's localized somewhere in the PS system.

Guess the CC gets a workout soon. Is there a good online source for genuine Honda parts or am I donating to my local dealership again? I'm not saying they overcharge but they certainly are proud of their inventory...

I use a set of MEAD Composition notebooks for maintenance logs. Have one each dedicated to automobiles, motorcycle, bicycles, land/farm stuff and house. It's a pretty good system as I just date/time/mileage or hour log each new entry.

My smartphone screen is too damn small to try and replicate that system.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I have used bernardiparts.com; others have recommended Majestic. I would suggest however, that you look up the prices on one of these good online dealer sources, and then ask your dealer if they won't match the price. Many will. Good Luck.

(if they do match, you'll really be making out because you'll also avoid the shipping costs... but depending on your state, that savings might be canceled out by your sales tax)

·
Registered
95 Posts
If it helps I have an 06 with over 267k and it's going strong. I do all the fluids myself. PS fluid change isn't bad at all. I think I found instructions on here or YouTube on how to do it. I've had the same electrical issues you have also. HAVC and radio light bother me the most. Fixed radio light once but it's out again. The new tech is nice but comes with a steep price tag. You have a lot of miles left on that RL.

·
Registered
131 Posts
i did the power steering replacement tank job. not that tough. if i can do it anyone can. there are a few how too's on here. make sure to get a new tank and not clean the original. you cant get the screen clean

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input all. I'm stockpiling my fluids now and will just take a rainy weekend to spend in the garage with the truck. With any luck, I can get a few more years use out of it. The electronic gremlins are more of a nuisance than the mechanical stuff... at least the mechanical can be easily replaced and accessed.

I have a Mity-Vac that I've been using for a number of years bleeding my motorcycle brakes but thinking I might need something a bit more... robust for the truck fluid changes. Anyone have experience with this contraption? Can I use a single extractor for multiple fluids or am I running too much risk of cross contamination?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU0MMU/ref=crt_ewc_title_gw_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1TFBK3C7LO58P

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,588 Posts
I think the MityVac is fine. I use mine for extraction/brake fluid bleeding. I don't use it to push fluids, so no contamination concerns.

Reactions: advcyclist
1 - 11 of 11 Posts