Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since you guys are the OEM experts, I thought I'd throw this out for your shop's expertise to comment on.....

What polishes or cleaners are acceptable for polishing out microscratches and water spots on the OEM vent shade plastic?

My left-side ventshades got misted by some sort of compound while parked (errant pesticide applicator is all I can think of), and now they have thousands of tiny opaque spots on them. They are impossible to wash off with just soap and water.

I know Honda's instructions are pretty restrictive on how you should clean them (mild soap and water only). I used a headlight restoration kit to experiment, and buffed out most all of the spots from one shade, but now it's slightly hazed with microscratches.

I still have one shade to remove spots from, and would like to try and polish up the microscratches on the other. I am leaning towards trying Meguiar's PlastX, or Meguiar's #10 & #17 polishing/cleaning compound.

What say you?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
depending on what product hit the plastic, it may have etched into the top layer. I would hand polish with a silica polish - sealant combo.

PL22 comes to mind, available from Ohio Auto Supply

I've had similar issues with the black molding door strip used on many manufactures cars.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I use AutoGlym Super Resin Polish on mine and am happy with the look. It makes them glossy and appears to reduce swirls and scratches.

·
Registered
762 Posts
haven't used the Novus system but it does seem to have a key item which is protectant. One thing with the plastics is it is possible to polish off the UV coating on them. I did that on a hood deflector a few years ago and it looked good right after polishing but just a few days later would turn dull. Plexus keeps it shiny now for quite a while after polishing. Plexus will cover some small scratches but doesn't do much removal.

-Trevor
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/ridgeline.html

·
Premium Member
11,421 Posts
haven't used the Novus system but it does seem to have a key item which is protectant. One thing with the plastics is it is possible to polish off the UV coating on them. I did that on a hood deflector a few years ago and it looked good right after polishing but just a few days later would turn dull. Plexus keeps it shiny now for quite a while after polishing. Plexus will cover some small scratches but doesn't do much removal.

-Trevor
http://www.HandA-Accessories.com/ridgeline.html
You don't want to use the No. 3 Novus, unless it something with a severe scratch, or fogging, etc. It is quite abrasive. Generally using a little of no. 2 at a time, and then finishing off with No.1 works greats for most common defects. There is always new stuff out but without experience using each one it is hard to tell.
Always best to start of with the least abrasive first in any case.
Some good advice here:

http://www.novuspolish.com/

I use 303 Protectant for regular cleaning and protection, never a restoration product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts