Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

What do you think of the 2017 Ridgeline, now that it's been officially released?

• Really DISLIKE it, and I'm a CURRENT/FORMER Gen. 1 Ridgeline owner.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • Really DISLIKE it, and I have NEVER OWNED a Ridgeline before.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Somewhat DISLIKE it, and I'm a CURRENT/FORMER Gen. 1 Ridgeline owner.

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • Somewhat DISLIKE it, and I have NEVER OWNED a Ridgeline before.

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I'm NEUTRAL, and I'm a CURRENT/FORMER Gen. 1 Ridgeline owner.

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • I'm NEUTRAL, and I have NEVER OWNED a Ridgeline before.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Somewhat LIKE it, and I'm a CURRENT/FORMER Gen. 1 Ridgeline owner.

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Somewhat LIKE it, and I have NEVER OWNED a Ridgeline before.

Votes: 12 6.4%
  • Really LIKE it, and I'm a CURRENT/FORMER Gen. 1 Ridgeline owner.

Votes: 40 21.3%
  • Really LIKE it, and I have NEVER OWNED a Ridgeline before.

Votes: 63 33.5%
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that the 2017 Ridgeline is officially out, and everything you need to know is out there, please vote your opinion.

Questions were separated by current/previous Ridgeline owners and non-owners to see how the opinions are split.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I voted "Somewhat LIKE it, non-owner", but I won't be able to decide about purchasing one until I can confirm that it meets my needs for medium-duty off-road travel (i.e., adequate ground clearance). TFLT guys will help with that this summer.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I voted "Somewhat LIKE it, non-owner", but I won't be able to decide about purchasing one until I can confirm that it meets my needs for medium-duty off-road travel (i.e., adequate ground clearance). TFLT guys will help with that this summer.
Yea I have been watching there channel waiting for that video. I dont think it will do well in stock form. But a level kit and some good tires,im sure it will do well

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Yes, but based on credible information on suspension/driveline limitations and tire clearance, it will take a lot to convince me that a lift kit and bigger tires are even compatible with this truck. And then there's the potential effect on VSA, ABS and all other safety features. I'm not thrilled about spending $40K on a new truck and then modding it out for better ground clearance to the point of voiding the powertrain warranty and the advanced safety technology. But that's just me...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Come on haters, you can do better than that! Create a dozen new accounts and vote it down! :wink:

As of this post, ignoring neutrals, it is 35 to 8 in favor. Man, you would never know it to read the posts. I think that illustrates a basic fact of all forums - the haters are much more prolific posters.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Now who's dramatic? :) I'm just going to assume this is a light-hearted poke for fun, something I enjoy doing myself. But please don't think that I'm a G2 hater. The new RL checks so many of the right boxes for me and does almost everything better than the other mid-sizers. I was just hoping it would have enough ground clearance for the times I go off-pavement to remote trailheads for hiking, hunting and skiing (no boulder crawling or bog running for me).

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I'm neutral. I can't afford one so I really don't care about the truck one way or the other.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm neutral. I can't afford one so I really don't care about the truck one way or the other.
Look into leasing at all? I was fortunate enough to get a really good trade-in on my 2009, but leasing still brought the payments down over $150.

I am little surprised at the preliminary results, but at the same time many who have had complaints did have some positives as well so maybe they fall into the "somewhat like it" category?

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Having now seen one in person, I vote "Somewhat dislike it & I am a current owner" (10 years next week). It is a Pilot with the back chopped off. That's not a joke, it's the truth. It should be badged Pilot Pickup.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Having seen one in person now, I really like it. Wish it had a few additional things, but overall appears like it will meet the vast majority of my needs.

I'm in the "never owned an R1" category. As far as the poll goes, I doubt many, if any, folks who have never owned an R1 and "really dislike" or "somewhat dislike" the R2 would even be around in the forum to participate in the poll. Why would folks lurk and participate in a forum dedicated to a vehicle they will likely never own because they don't like it? I mean to each there own, but... :)

·
Registered
970 Posts
I'm in the "never owned an R1" category. As far as the poll goes, I doubt many, if any, folks who have never owned an R1 and "really dislike" or "somewhat dislike" the R2 would even be around in the forum to participate in the poll. Why would folks lurk and participate in a forum dedicated to a vehicle they will likely never own because they don't like it? I mean to each there own, but... :)

You are probably right but you would never know it from the determination of a few posters that dislike the G2. I suspect that they are in the 11 (current number) that had G1 and don't like G2 because Honda did not give them what they wanted or expected.

Personally, I would suggest that they go back to the G1 part of the forum as they are basically wasting their time and ours on this side.
Over there they can contribute useful experience, here they can just cause bad feelings.

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
In the former web site you could see who voted. Be interesting to know now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2008 RTL with 165K miles on it and we are lucky that it still looks and runs like the day we bought it. I think the more an existing RL owner is around this car, the less they are going to like it. Nothing really bad enough to keep me from buying one, but man it could have been so much better. We were first to checkout a Gen 2 fresh off the truck last Saturday and drive it the next day. Before I read any of the posts on the RLO site, I said to my wife that this is a Pilot with a bed, not the Gen2 RL we were waiting 2 yrs for. I couldn't put it side by side with my RTL because my RL is parked due to airbag recall (BTW, Honda leased me a nice Hemi Dodge Ram 1500 to drive until they get airbags in - I'll take my RL over any day however). The complaints about entry to the rear cab are real, there are alot things I easily load into my RL that will be tough to get into the Gen2. Door seems way smaller and doesn't open enough. Really dislike the big shift knob on the center console. I've never looked at a Pilot, but bet that is where it came from. With todays technology, no need for this. My RTL came standard with AWD, moon roof, and sliding rear window. All extra cost now, and have to get the fully loaded $43K edition to even get the Rear slider. I like the street look of the Gen2, like the interior, and for the short drive we took it drives very nice. My RTL easily pulls my 5K lb boat around, so that is a concern that I will have to rely on feedback from others about. Bottom line for me is my next vehicle will be the Gen2 RL, but not until my Gen1 dies and forces me to make the move.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I'm a former owner, I drove one yesterday and I love most of it. Deposited one for Black Edition. I'm 2nd in the line.
Why all these Black Edition being purchased?
I thought from words of some here it's just a fad or kid thing the manufactures don't know what they are doing. I have long stated that I will purchase a Black Edition. I voted I like the new Ridgeline and the Black Edition is everything I want. I would have liked if ventilated seats were offered for US model but that's okay. This model and few others have remote engine start in their features list. This will cool the vehicle down before you enter this is when the seats are hottest. My current 16yr old Acura is Black with Ebony leather seats it's parked in my back in hot summer sun. This would be where a Black Edition would also be parked so remote engine start feature to cool or heat would be welcome. 2017 Acura RDX loaner Black/Black I had few weeks ago most likely similar perforated leather seats as 17 Ridgeline cooled well in my yard parked in same location in heat as car No ventilated seats in RDX.

·
Registered
70 Posts
From what I can see so far, I like the exterior. The truck bed can take a tonneau cover better than the gen1.
Not a fan of the style of the rims though, but that is not a big deal.

Inside, I actually like fold-down arm rests in some situations. I am NOT a fan of the center console and having the gear shift there though. In my Gen1, I can fit a small trash bin in front of the center console. While, the arm-rest thing can be annoying because it slides when I don't want it to, I still like that design better than the center console that goes all the way to the dash. I like the cup holders on the Gen1 better as well. I'm not a fan of having my cup holder on the other side of the gear shift.

The navigation screen looks better on the 2017 though. But, I would have to see it in action from the driver's seat to see if it has glare or collects dust. My 2013 one collects dust and has a horrible glare so I can't see it very well.

For me, the negatives and positives cancel each other out so I'm just neutral.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
You are probably right but you would never know it from the determination of a few posters that dislike the G2. I suspect that they are in the 11 (current number) that had G1 and don't like G2 because Honda did not give them what they wanted or expected.

Personally, I would suggest that they go back to the G1 part of the forum as they are basically wasting their time and ours on this side.
Over there they can contribute useful experience, here they can just cause bad feelings.
Havent voted yet cause I havent seen it still on the fence. And if you want to go there go back twelve years ago and read everything till now, things havent changed that much. Many lukers and wanna have its, many gone and thousands of posts and new people. Please name the 11 dishaters I surprised you came up with that number and how, if Im one I can take it no hard feelins hell Im a 12 year RL owner. Just sounds like some on here only want to here what they want to here nothin but good. If I buy one I bet I could complain about color choices and some new owners would agree but that wouldnt matter, then your list could climb to 58 or that dont count, its the same thing, Fine Ill go to the Gen1 side and leave the Gen2s and wont be back purchase or not, we just put in are .02cents like you. Just have to look for that Gen1 part, havent ventured around on the Forum in some time. All is good guys happy trails see ya................:x Astro

·
Registered
970 Posts
Well, I think the results are pretty clear. It is almost as much of a landslide as the election will be against Trump (an observation by a conservative who thinks the Republicans have lost their minds).

What I find most interesting (and I did not count neutrals) is that almost all of the negatives - 16 out of 17 so far - were from G1 owners who must not have gotten what they wanted or expected.

As Mr. Spock would say, fascinating...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Voted Neutral; Former Owner. Looked at a sport and an RTL. Nice, comfortable, nothing necessarily wrong with them. I was just kind of "meh" to the truck itself. That might be because I'm loving the heck outta my Grand Cherokee. I just was not very impressed. Looks okay, drives well, and I sat comfortably while driving. There was just no sense of "I want this". I'm actually disappointed because I really want to like this truck, but right now just can't. Timing might be off (plus I'm upset that they dropped the CD player).
Frontiers have been catching my eye though. Sucky mileage, but very nice looking trucks.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts