Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

How do you like the armrest in the Ridgeline?

• Really dislike it, and I HAVE TRIED the Pilot armrest.

Votes: 16 11.2%
  • Really dislike it, and I have NOT tried the Pilot armrest.

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • Somewhat dislike it, and I HAVE TRIED the Pilot armrest.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Somewhat dislike it, and I have NOT tried the Pilot armrest.

Votes: 14 9.8%
  • I'm neutral, and I HAVE TRIED the Pilot armrest.

Votes: 4 2.8%
  • I'm neutral, and I have NOT tried the Pilot armrest.

Votes: 34 23.8%
  • Somewhat like it, and I HAVE TRIED the Pilot armrest.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Somewhat like it, and I have NOT tried the Pilot armrest.

Votes: 13 9.1%
  • Really like it, and I HAVE TRIED the Pilot armrest.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Really like it, and I have NOT tried the Pilot armrest.

Votes: 21 14.7%
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the biggest complaints about the new Ridgeline interior is the seat-mounted, flip-down armrest.

But just how big of a deal is it to everyone? Well, let's put it to a fair vote.

The options to this poll seem extra long because it's really combining two questions in one:

1. How you like/dislike the armrest.
2. If you've tried the exact armrest in person.

Important note: By "exact armrest", we're assuming that the Ridgeline will have the same armrest as the Pilot (slightly wider and curved), so if you've sat in/driven the 2016 Pilot, then you can say that "you've tried the exact armrest". This does not apply to the Odyssey, which has a different (more narrow and straight) armrest. (I've driven both; they are very different armrests.)

Screenshot of Ridgeline armrest in HondaPro Jason video:

Everyone is different and entitled to their own opinion, so let's please keep the discussion civil. "Manners maketh man."

·
Registered
117 Posts
I liked the center console arm rest on my old Ridgeline.
MY wife's pilot is a 2015 so I do not think it has an arm rest.
I'll wait and give it a try.
Lets see if it holds up to putting wait on in when getting in over several years

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
After over 210,000 miles in my 08 RTL, I'll be glad to go back to the seat mounted armrest. I'm just not of the body style to appreciate the present armrest although I use it every day. For me, I prefer the seat mounted as found in the Pilot.

·
Registered
336 Posts
While I like the floor space in my 2014 Sport, I've always preferred full consoles with shifter. I've only had one vehicle I think that had arm rest. A Dodge van. Remember captain chairs? :act024: While to long ago to recall, I'd certainly be open to arm rest in the Gen2 IF comfortable.

Many arm rest are too narrow though this one looks a tad wider than normal. IF the case, not a problem though I would think each individual would need to sit in an actual model and see for themselves given different sizes and shapes.

In short, need to see in person.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You might consider a more definitive Poll, which asks:

Which do you prefer?
1) Full length (do dash) console with seat mounted armrests (as in G2)?
or
2) Truncated center console with padded top & floor-storage gap at front (as in G1)?

I think you'd get more favoring the old configuration, from what I've read here. This poll (as you have it above) will confirm that we "can live" with the swivel arm-rests; but that does not mean we prefer them over the previous alternative.

I know this (my suggestion) combines 2 issues (floor storage & arm rests), but it gets right to the point of whether Honda went the right direction in this area.

Hopefully that's what you (& Honda) want to establish.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I am neutral have not tried Pilot armrest.
I still like a fat armrest but willing to give this a try.
I based most of my dislike earlier on previous fold down armrest in 1993 Dodge Caravan. When vehicle was new had to take it back several times for bent drivers armrest but it got fixed and did not have anymore problems in 10years of ownership.
But also had problems with sliding armrest from Honda/Acura.
I think this was newer feature when I got 2000 Acura TL
Did not slide on my 94 Accord & 90 Accord did not have armrest but I had aftermarket installed. The 2000 TL sliding kept coming apart screws would fall out would not stay closed. I took it back to dealer 3 times they finally got the fix with new parts and Loctite adhesive sealant.
Still own the car 16yrs now no problem with armrest in many years.
So not a true fan of fold down it would not be a reason not to buy truck.
My concern was they would bend/break not be sturdy enough like Dodge Caravan. I like the storage compartment between the seats in the Pilot and now Ridgeline so if that's why Honda did it I am okay with that.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I chose "Really Like" only because there's no simple "Like" response. I tried the Pilot's armrest also and it was comfortable.

I think it's great that the driver and passenger have separate armrests that they can adjust independently. I don't know how many times the SO and I have fought over the position of the single armrest in my vehicles.

·
Registered
119 Posts
First off I haven't tried it. The sliding center console has an annoying habit of sliding rearward necessitating my having to pull if forward. Also, with a passenger you have a turf war going on. Both of these annoyances, I guess, would be a non-problem when each seat has their own arm rest.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Prefer the full console just like the new Acura MDX. In fact, I would't be surprised that the Acura full console armrest would easily fit the new RL.

I hate fold down armrest and may just never get a 2nd gen RL on that alone. I'm even going to see if the MDX one fits so I can do the swap when the time comes to trade.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
My dog votes no go (ever wrapped a leash round one of those?)... and I wouldn't be married to my wife twenty years if it hadn't been able to jump across the Chevy.

Loved my Odys, but could never get over this armrest feature in them, and tried the Pilot, just the same, and too much of a sedan-canted cockpit feel... it's simply too serious a helm. Truck's gotta be a place to relax.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Prefer the full console just like the new Acura MDX. In fact, I would't be surprised that the Acura full console armrest would easily fit the new RL.

I hate fold down armrest and may just never get a 2nd gen RL on that alone. I'm even going to see if the MDX one fits so I can do the swap when the time comes to trade.
Looked into this, parts are astronomically priced.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well, now how do I change my vote?

I voted earlier "neutral - have not sat in the Pilot". But today I stopped by the dealer & checked out the new Pilot. Generally looked OK to me, but I WON'T like the pass-thru floor space being gone, and I do not like those whimpy arm rests at all. I must say that I now understand what all the whining is about. Honestly these are not even as robust as the ones that I had in my '85 Voyager... Seriously!.

Understand that I am only 5'7" (probably closer to 5'6" now-days.... time taking it's toll), SO I'm NOT a big guy. BUT... my arm slides off the side of that thing (towards the middle of the truck) without even the slightest thought. Definitely NOT a comfortable, casual resting place. I am really average build - not skinny & not rotund (about 180 lb). I don't know who they made these for, but it was probably for a smaller physique (Asian ergonomics maybe?).

Anyway - I'm hoping the ones in the RL do a better job. They look different in the video; but they don't look any larger, so I'm guessing they won't work any better. Sad to say, but I have to agree with those arm-rest haters out there: These are really not worth the effort to put them there. My arm really hung over them more than on them.
Wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, but would be something I would have to agree with detractors about. :(

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Looked into this, parts are astronomically priced.
If I want the RL, I would be willing to pay up to 1k for it. Was it worst than that?

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
If I want the RL, I would be willing to pay up to 1k for it. Was it worst than that?
It was much more than that, before labor. Researched it a while ago, not hard to dig up the blow-up on an Acura parts sight. I have half a mind to develop an aftermarket solution, but ultimately the biggest problem is the shifter on the floor.

Not sure what is it... 18 years of Odysseys? If Honda puts that shifter on the floor of the new Ody (which I have every confidence will be otherwise the best all around vehicle of its 4 factory stablemates), going to be some serious problems for Honda.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our other vehicle is a 2016 Honda Pilot and the arm rests are horrible. They are to thin and my arm goes right over the side of the arm rest.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Our other vehicle is a 2016 Honda Pilot and the arm rests are horrible. They are to thin and my arm goes right over the side of the arm rest.
Again, loved our Odys, but constantly had to shift my arm to maintain minimal comfort on the armrest. Often drove with my hand on the opposite arm rest and my elbow on the near one. Also spent a lot of time holding my hand on the dash-mounted shifter as an alternative. At least 100 unfortunate elbows into the armrest, whether it be funny bone, spilling a drink, catching a bag handle, impaling the dog...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've not tried it but my forearm/elbow would most likely naturally fall into the dead space between the armrests. Pretty big ergo fail for me.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I am hopeful there will be a change, if not when the 10-speed comes in, then MMR. The Odyssey will tell a lot... if it has the 10-speed.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Early CRV models had an optional full width armrest that included a storage space inside.
It replaced the conventional skinny one on the driver's seat.
Why not make that a similar option again?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts