Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

1 - 20 of 601 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first posting but have been lurking for a couple of years. I had a 2008 RTX that I traded in for a 2021 Ridgeline Sport back in March. After reading a post on the water intrusion problem I decided to check mine by pulling up the sill plate and checking under the carpeting and found the foam under the carpet soaked on the rear seat on the passenger side. I have it at the dealer at the present time and they’ve ordered new carpeting and removing the rear seats, etc., to try and locate the leak. They claim that they have not seen this problem before on the 2021 Ridgelines and I believe that the reason is because owners don’t realize it’s leaking because you can’t tell by just feeling the top of the carpet, you have to check underneath. I love this truck and it’s my second Ridgeline and feel the dealer will make this right but want to get the word out to other owners of 2021 Ridgelines that aren’t aware of this problem . Hopefully Honda will be made aware of this issue and correct it. My build date by the way is 2/21. Good luck, it’s still a great truck in spite of certain build problems.

·
Registered
2020 RTL
185 Posts
Welcome to the u-boat club. Yours sounds like the classic body seam sealing issue on the passenger side. My water was in the middle and Honda says it's a leaking window. It's in the shop still awaiting corporate approval for the repairs.

You are very right about how you might never know it's leaking based on the carpet itself....that foam backing keeps it from wicking up. I would encourage every G2 RL owner to take the time and feel under the carpet...whomever is applying sealant at the plant needs to be "educated".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the u-boat club. Yours sounds like the classic body seam sealing issue on the passenger side. My water was in the middle and Honda says it's a leaking window. It's in the shop still awaiting corporate approval for the repairs.

You are very right about how you might never know it's leaking based on the carpet itself....that foam backing keeps it from wicking up. I would encourage every G2 RL owner to take the time and feel under the carpet...whomever is applying sealant at the plant needs to be "educated".
I agree 100%. I showed the service manager the picture of the seam that someone else had posted here concerning the water intrusion and he was legitimately shocked. My Sport has only been there for one day but am hoping there’s not a back order on carpeting, that’s all I need. But he did swear to me that he will make it right like it’s brand new, which it is with only 1400 miles. Again let’s get the word out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
This combined with the overall shortage of vehicles is exactly why i'm putting off buying my new Ridgeline. I've owned many vehicles and not a single one has leaked. Sealant has been around for centuries. It should not be hard to apply correctly. I hope they get this figured out.

Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
looks like they are doing the right thing. Just need to wait now for them to fix it and hope that its not a reoccurring issue. mine was the same build date

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like they are doing the right thing. Just need to wait now for them to fix it and hope that its not a reoccurring issue. mine was the same build date
Your post on this is what got me to pull up the sill and check under the carpet in the first place so I want to thank you for that. This is why I decided to post about my problem hoping that other owners of of the 2021’s will see these posts as I did after reading yours. Hopefully I will get good results.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have posted about this issue, do a search but the bottom line is I got two rear windows, three sets of new carpet before the problem was fixed and it wasn't the window. It was the rear passenger corner body panel that wasn't sealed.
As to feeling the wetness from the top, if you have the plastic cargo liner or the weatherproof carpets, you may see condensation on the underside of them after a rain event and after the temps warm up.

If you notice that the morning dew on your windows is on the outside AND the inside of the windshield, you have a wet floor.

Based on the small but nevertheless common leak like this, Honda should issue some sort of TSB.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have posted about this issue, do a search but the bottom line is I got two rear windows, three sets of new carpet before the problem was fixed and it wasn't the window. It was the rear passenger corner body panel that wasn't sealed.
As to feeling the wetness from the top, if you have the plastic cargo liner or the weatherproof carpets, you may see condensation on the underside of them after a rain event and after the temps warm up.

If you notice that the morning dew on your windows is on the outside AND the inside of the windshield, you have a wet floor.

Based on the small but nevertheless common leak like this, Honda should issue some sort of TSB.
I have read your posts also, thanks for doing so. I thought that it was coming in through the back window also because the bottom weather stripping looks like it was installed half assed, it actually goes below the glass behind the passenger side. My dealer is removing the back seats and carpeting as we speak and hope they do find where the water is entering. It is very disappointing because my 2008 RTX was still running good with 165,00 miles on it and I spent more money on this 2021 than I ever spent on a vehicle in my life and I am retired. They say you live and learn, I don’t know if that’s true anymore. LOL!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have followed bhom920's water issues and the first thing that I noticed in Chasrob's OP was the same build date of 2/21. Wondering if it is limited to just that month or wider?

Chasrob, I also have that half assed lower weather stripping at the outside lower rear window. I had the dealer swap to black wheels after the purchase and I asked the service writer about it and he quickly said yeah - they are all like that. I do plan on following up again about it but first I will go take a picture of an in stock 2021 (as soon as there are any). My build date is 3/21 but I think that I am definitely going to pull the rear trim after we get some rain again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have followed bhom920's water issues and the first thing that I noticed in Chasrob's OP was the same build date of 2/21. Wondering if it is limited to just that month or wider?

Chasrob, I also have that half assed lower weather stripping at the outside lower rear window. I had the dealer swap to black wheels after the purchase and I asked the service writer about it and he quickly said yeah - they are all like that. I do plan on following up again about it but first I will go take a picture of an in stock 2021 (as soon as there are any). My build date is 3/21 but I think that I am definitely going to pull the rear trim after we get some rain again.
I went to a dealer last Sunday and looked at the back window of a 2021 RTL-E in pewter that was a beautiful looking truck and the weather stripping looked like mine which isn’t exactly reassuring. I really love these Ridgelines but the quality control is really lacking in my opinion.

·
Registered
2007 Ridgeline RTL, 2020 Ridgeline RTL
21 Posts

I would fire his ass.

·
Administrator
20,102 Posts
Most of the seam sealer is robotically applied. Robots are good with consistency. I've long suspected there is an issue with the dispensing system causing resulting in bubbles or gaps in coverage resulting in water leaks.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Most of the seam sealer is robotically applied. Robots are good with consistency. I've long suspected there is an issue with the dispensing system causing resulting in bubbles or gaps in coverage resulting in water leaks.
whoever or whatever did the seam sealer on my truck did a terrible job. not just at the seams. i have a small spot on my roof where some sealer dropped onto another spot of the panel and they just painted right over it. Also the insides of the doors i had a huge glob that i picked off and used touchup paint afterwards. just in general it doesn't look like it smoothed over to perfection on all of the seams. I also found recently that the inner side of my rear door handles weren't fully painted. It's something that i will live with or bring up next time i'm at the dealer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It makes you wonder what the cause is. I would assume that if it were due to air pockets in the sealant feed, the problem would occur on both sides of the cab but from what I read, it is always the passenger side. Honda need to identify the reason but for now, they need to add a specific quality control check to the line process to look for missing sealant.
The fact that reports of these leaks have been for 2019, 2020 and 2021 model years means that Honda either doesn't know about the problem or decided that fixing after the fact is less expensive than fixing the manufacturing process

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
67 Posts
New here, first time poster.

I’ve owned many new Honda’s over the years (‘79 Civic Hatchback, ‘84 Civic Hatchback, ‘99 CR-V, ‘05 CR-V, and a current ‘19 CR-V (all of the CR-V’s belong to my wife)).

We’ve only had two problems with all of these vehicles— the ‘99 CR-V had an issue with the dealer installed alarm system and the (always dealer serviced) ‘05 CR-V blew a head gasket at 153,000-miles.

I’ve driven 3 Tacoma’s (‘99, ‘05, and an ‘07) for the last 21-years. The ‘07 has NOTHING wrong with it and I’m passing it down to my son. He’s flying into Charlotte with his son and we’re going to drive it about 3,000-miles back to Las Vegas at the end of June — seeing the country as we go.

I always said, “If Honda made a truck, I’d buy one.” I test drove an ‘07 when I bought the last Tacoma, but Honda wasn’t making any deals and Toyota was — that truck now has 151,000-miles on it and as I’ve said, there is NOTHING wrong with it.

So I finally got my Ridgeline (you knew I was getting to a point) based on past experience with Honda’s and the fact that I’ve always wanted one.

I have a 2021 RTL-E with a build date of 02 April 2021, I took delivery of it on 15 April 2021, and it still has less than 500-miles on it. It pissed-down with rain yesterday while I was at the shop having a BAK Revolver X4s installed — it was the first time this new truck got wet. Because of these threads, I checked the rear carpet today and do NOT have any signs of water intrusion (yet). I have WeatherTech floor liners all the way around and there wasn’t any condensation on the bottom of them (again, yet). I will keep checking and provide an update after some time passes. I must say, these reports have me worried. Did I make a huge mistake by not sticking with another Tacoma?

Is anyone interested in hearing about the X4s? I guess that’s a topic for another thread.

Thanks for listening.

The V Guy

·
Registered
2020 RTL
185 Posts
Because of these threads, I checked the rear carpet today and do NOT have any signs of water intrusion (yet). I have WeatherTech floor liners all the way around and there wasn’t any condensation on the bottom of them (again, yet)
You will NOT be able to feel the water on the carpet itself, or see it on the bottom of any mats. The RL has this foam backing on the carpet that keeps it from wicking up. You must get under the carpet to see what is going on. You can easily pull up the door sill plates and reach under...

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have read your posts also, thanks for doing so. I thought that it was coming in through the back window also because the bottom weather stripping looks like it was installed half assed, it actually goes below the glass behind the passenger side. My dealer is removing the back seats and carpeting as we speak and hope they do find where the water is entering. It is very disappointing because my 2008 RTX was still running good with 165,00 miles on it and I spent more money on this 2021 than I ever spent on a vehicle in my life and I am retired. They say you live and learn, I don’t know if that’s true anymore. LOL!
Can you get your 2008 RTX back? Personally, I'm quite partial to them and it sounds like yours served you well. I'm at 152k miles now and not even tempted by a G2. Good luck with the water leak...

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
246 Posts
Because of these threads, I checked the rear carpet today and do NOT have any signs of water intrusion (yet). I have WeatherTech floor liners all the way around and there wasn’t any condensation on the bottom of them (again, yet). I will keep checking and provide an update after some time passes. I must say, these reports have me worried. Did I make a huge mistake by not sticking with another Tacoma?
No, you didn't make a mistake as long as the RL is a good fit for your lifestyle. And that's from someone with a currently leaking 2017. It's a nuisance construction flaw. Body seam leaks can be fixed and funky-soured carpets can likely be disinfected (if Honda doesn't change out the entire carpet). As I told the Honda support people...I don't want to trade it, I don't want to sell, I simply want it fixed.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
246 Posts
Agreed. However, underneath mine there is an overlapped spot-welded seam that has no sealant about a foot forward of that noticeably sealed seam shown in all the photos. It's toward the front of the truck near the fuel pump. That overlapped seam looks very suspicious because the overlap is the wrong direction to shed exterior water. It's also slightly gapped as if it's supposed to drain.

1 - 20 of 601 Posts