Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have posted about this issue, do a search but the bottom line is I got two rear windows, three sets of new carpet before the problem was fixed and it wasn't the window. It was the rear passenger corner body panel that wasn't sealed.
As to feeling the wetness from the top, if you have the plastic cargo liner or the weatherproof carpets, you may see condensation on the underside of them after a rain event and after the temps warm up.

If you notice that the morning dew on your windows is on the outside AND the inside of the windshield, you have a wet floor.

Based on the small but nevertheless common leak like this, Honda should issue some sort of TSB.

·
Registered
372 Posts
It makes you wonder what the cause is. I would assume that if it were due to air pockets in the sealant feed, the problem would occur on both sides of the cab but from what I read, it is always the passenger side. Honda need to identify the reason but for now, they need to add a specific quality control check to the line process to look for missing sealant.
The fact that reports of these leaks have been for 2019, 2020 and 2021 model years means that Honda either doesn't know about the problem or decided that fixing after the fact is less expensive than fixing the manufacturing process

·
Registered
372 Posts
Does anyone know if this wet foam under the carpet could be detected with a moisture meter like they sell at Lowe’s or Home Depot? I am about to purchase a 21 RTL-E. The area that I am planning to purchase the vehicle from has had tons of rain this week. I am not sure how keen a dealer would be on lifting the carpet to let me check for this. I definitely don’t want to get the vehicle home and find out I have this problem.
The pin type of meter will tell you if the carpet is wet if you compare readings to a known dry area but it may not tell you if there is moisture under the foam which is more like a plastic cushion. If the floor is or was recently very wet, you will feel dampness on the carpet. Again, compare the feel up front to the feel in the rear.
If the truck has all weather rubber mats, lift them up and look for condensation beads on the underside. Finally, if it is a dewy day and you find condensation on the inside of the windows, especially the front after starting the car with the windows closed and the HVAC system running, you have excess interior moisture.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I read through a lot of your posts last night about the issues you had. Did you end up getting rid of your Ridgeline? Would you tell others to avoid getting one?
After all that pain and an angst, my Ridgeline is dry and I enjoy it immensely. I though about getting a lawyer for lemon law but honestly. even though it was service 4 times and for 85 days. it didn't meet the NY guidelines for a Lemon Law case, primarily because the problem got fixed on service number 3. Service number 4 was to fix body damage incurred when someone at the dealer drove under a car lift that was a bit too low! By the way, the body work was excellent.
The long service times were due to a combination of things but parts ( like new carpets) were hard to come by at times. I had the carpets replaced all three times.
Finally, even if I got my money back, there were no RTL-Es available at least in the color I had and would want.
I could have gone to court to sue for loss of use blah blah blah but I just wanted it all behind me.
Will I keep my 2020 as long as I did my Gen 1? Maybe, maybe not. Let's see how it holds up. I got the the Ridgeline primarily for the trunk. That may sound silly but it is one of the best features in addition to the ride. It may not be the meanest truck,haul the biggest load or work out for a contractor but for my needs it is an great fit. As I get older, many of the newer safety features are a big plus. I love the adaptive cruise control, I use it all the time. I rarely used cruise control on my Gen1. So far, the blind spot warning system has saved my a*s several times:) The heated steering wheel is wonderful for folks like me who suffer from circulation problems
Yes, there are things I don't like but there were things like that on the Gen1.
All in all, I am pleased.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts