Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
283 Posts
Because of these threads, I checked the rear carpet today and do NOT have any signs of water intrusion (yet). I have WeatherTech floor liners all the way around and there wasn’t any condensation on the bottom of them (again, yet). I will keep checking and provide an update after some time passes. I must say, these reports have me worried. Did I make a huge mistake by not sticking with another Tacoma?
No, you didn't make a mistake as long as the RL is a good fit for your lifestyle. And that's from someone with a currently leaking 2017. It's a nuisance construction flaw. Body seam leaks can be fixed and funky-soured carpets can likely be disinfected (if Honda doesn't change out the entire carpet). As I told the Honda support people...I don't want to trade it, I don't want to sell, I simply want it fixed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Most of the seam sealer is robotically applied. Robots are good with consistency. I've long suspected there is an issue with the dispensing system causing resulting in bubbles or gaps in coverage resulting in water leaks.
Agreed. However, underneath mine there is an overlapped spot-welded seam that has no sealant about a foot forward of that noticeably sealed seam shown in all the photos. It's toward the front of the truck near the fuel pump. That overlapped seam looks very suspicious because the overlap is the wrong direction to shed exterior water. It's also slightly gapped as if it's supposed to drain.

·
Registered
283 Posts
My take-away from a 2nd conversation on Friday with my dealer's service dept over my leaky '17 RL is that Honda basically doesn't reimburse dealers sufficiently to troubleshoot and repair leaks. Pretty much pays them standard hours to replace failed parts so not much incentive to find & fix these issues without a failed part to replace. They even suggested I might want try a different dealer. Of course, they claimed they had never seen this problem until another almost identical RL (but 2-yr newer) showed up a month ago with the same complaint. That truck had spent 2 weeks in their shop and just happened to be back again for the same problem. They were discussing their next step as pulling out the entire bed for better access. Their last suggestion was let them fix this other guys truck, then discuss fixing mine. Hard to believe Honda corporate offices wouldn't know about this problem and would already have some form of guidance or TSB to manage their warranty claims made by dealers. Really sad situation.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Does anyone with leaks have a bed cover? I have a bed cover and I have not found any water leaking in anywhere.
Yes, have a soft tri-fold. Only speculative, but believe it would enhance to likelihood of leaks being found because more water would collect & reach the drains by the rear window. Otherwise most rain water would enter the bed and drain through other places.

Water leaks are covered only by the 3/36 New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Honda most certainly knows about every single water leak that they have to cover under warranty. Until the warranty repair costs exceed the cost to address the issue, it will continue.
Mine is still under a 5/60 Hondacare extended warranty until the end of Dec '21. When I spoke with Honda Customer support a couple weeks ago, they claim that warranty coverage would be the same as the basic 3/36 at this point in time. Their specific request was that I don't disturb the panels/seals or attempt any repair until their field rep can inspect the truck.

The disconnect is no contact yet with their team, and the dealer is essentially brokering contact with the local field rep and won't take mine in for their inspection until I agree to pay for anything they do in case Honda won't pay. They seem pretty frustrated by the other leaky RL parked in their wash bay to where they don't want another.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Do you have another Honda dealer nearby that you can use for the repair?
The irony is their service writer suggested the same thing... relatively clear they don't want this problem in their shop. Would almost need to have witnessed the conversation to understand the nuances and fidgety body language. I was given the direct phone number for their Service Mgr, will be trying that first.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Also for the person who asked about smell - all I can tell you is that in the 12 days I had mine, including a long test drive and inspecting the vehicle, I didn't notice any type of smell at all. In fact, the spongey part that was soaked and has now dried out, doesn't appear to have any mold either. Not sure how that's possible, but regardless so far I'm not concerned about mold issues long term as long as I can get the spot fixed that is leaking.
I'm discovering the odor returns with fresh moisture and parking outdoors with the windows closed where the sun heats the interior. The amount of moisture I've found thus far is relatively small and think contamination is isolated to the driver's side rear thus far. The actual new moisture evaporates quickly. There are no visible signs of mold on the under-padding, just the mildew odor. Still believe this level of contamination can be sanitized out of the carpet once the leak is stopped.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Yes I have a bed cover on mine. In troubleshooting I actually took my cover off yesterday morning. It seemed very well sealed in terms of no water gets into the bed itself. But I'm wondering if its holding a bit more water close to these problem areas and flooding them with more water than what you'd normally get without them. So I'm going to leave mine off for a while and see if my back remains dry. Last night it rained lightly (about a 1/4 inch) and my rear floor was bone dry. We'll see what happens when we get a good heavy rain.
Yesterday afternoon I had a follow-up discussion with the Service Manager of my dealership. The use of a tonneau cover was one of his questions. His side discussion with the local Honda field rep indicates a suspected link to tonneau use, and speculating its at least partially from heavier that expected moisture volumes through the drain slots. Thinking about sealing the drain slots on mine until the dealer/Honda calls mine in for repair.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hey RogersRTS, which drain slots are you referring to?
Looking to block the drain slots closest to the rear window. Thus, force rain water over the outside of the body/fenders instead of draining down the backside of the cab sheetmetal. That would only be temporary until a real fix is performed.

While a tonneau cover may increase the volume of water that enters the cab, it’s not causing the leak. Improperly applied sealant of the weld seams on the rear cab wall has been well documented in this forum. Honda needs to publish a TSB for this problem as they have done for other water leaks in other models.
Agreed. The discussion I had would indicate several potential known leak points ranging from grommeting in the upper window surround to seams in the back wall, and a few grommeted penetrations for wiring. The conversation also indicated that the sheetmetal work was designed to be water "managed" and not completely water-tight. So possible to be exceeding an engineered design limit, or something engineered isn't woking well in the real world, or could be an assembly problem. So sounds simple to seal up every seam in sight but some of those may need left unsealed to not trap moisture draining down from above the window. A TSB with a systemic procedure to troubleshoot and repair would be a smart move for everyone involved.

·
Registered
283 Posts
RogersRTS - your comments here helped me track down what I THINK was my water issue. I water tested further against the back window and the only place I could get it to come in was the rear drivers side behind the rear glass (I had focused on the passenger side previously). So I did the rear seat removal and bed liner tear down, took the rear drivers wheel and wheel-well off looking for a seam to patch. After an hour of inspecting seams - the most obvious thing you said jumped out at me: "several potential known leak points....including grommet holes for wiring". I was so focused on the seams I didn't even notice this obvious grommet hole that had no rubber grommet in it!! After water testing right on that area - it started flooding in under the back seat. Sealed that up, re-tested, and no water in sight. Put everything back together, water tested again, and no water again. Fingers crossed I found the issue! Don't know why I didn't immediately pick up on the empty grommet hole, but thanks to you I didn't waste too much time before I remembered it wasn't necessarily a seam.

Love this forum - you people rock! And love my truck just a little more now that I think I have my water issue resolved. I'll still check back on here to see how others are making out.
Wow, that's progress. Now you have me wondering.... What is the easiest access path to check that hole?
Curiosity will likely get the better of me, but promised the service manager that I would be a good boy and not tear my truck apart before they inspected the problem.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hello all. Newbie here. I’m right in the middle of trying to decide between a 2020 Ridgeline Sport AWD with 2800 miles on it and a new 2021 Ranger. The RL wins the practicality test hands down. But I somehow stumbled across this whole leak issue and it’s a bit terrifying. Should I bring this thing home for an overnight test drive and saturate the rear window/front bed area to see what happens??
I would take it overnight to check for leaks. It's a 10-minute task to lift the rear door sill plates & carpet to check. Make sure to get drainage (in quantity) through the drain slots near the lower corners of the rear window. It's also helpful to ensure the front end of the truck is slightly downhill if possible so drainage follows the back of the cab as opposed to the headboard of the bed. After talking with dealership service people, also want to run water over the top of the cab to check if anything is migrating downward through the upper rear window & surrounding frame area.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Without having to initially do these steps are there any early indicators? Such as feeling of dampness in the vehicle, smells, condensation on the windows?
A nasty swampy odor was the sign I noticed... like what the heck died in here! Had just returned from a 4,500 mile road trip. Looked all over for the lost 3/4-eaten sandwich stuffed under a seat to not find anything. Changed the cabin filter thinking it turned funky. Then wet-shampooed the seats thinking my friend had spilled something. It was the next long trip a year later that I found condensation on the underside of that wonderful Huskey mat in the rear seat area. Once again didn't think much of it, thought was likely sloppy filling the ice chest when leaving the hotel. But no, last thing I would suspect is a leaky rear cab wall.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a tonneau cover and park the truck in the garage.

I'm guessing that even if my truck had faulty seam sealing, that I likely wouldn't have a leaking issue?
Not exactly, leaving it covered/garaged means the seam likely doesn't get challenged to leak. Likely end up like mine where the leak doesn't get readily noticed before the 3/36 warranty expires leading to a 3-way argument between Honda, the dealer, and myself as to responsibility for the problem. Note also that I have 5/60 extended "HondaCare" that is still in effect but doesn't seem to be of any value in this situation.

·
Registered
283 Posts
They didn't replace all the carpet and I didn't ask them to. It was defiantly wet but was never a huge amount of water. The truck was on their lot for less than 4 weeks and I had it two weeks. I'm confident the carpet is fine and would rather not have the whole interior disassembled if didn't seem to be needed. I know every dealership is different but I'm really happy with the way it was handled in my case.
The carpet replacement dilemma came up while discussing this with my dealer's service manager. I'm personally not in favor of replacement giving the limited degree of contamination inside my truck vs. the labor & materials needed to replace the carpet. Still think it's easier to saturate the affected area of carpet & under-padding in a mildew-killing disinfectant, let soak for awhile, then vacuum that out will a commercial grade upholstery vac and possibly block excess moisture from underneath with towels. Then, if still damp use the AC to dry out the remaining moisture. Still think this problem is more easily fixable than most think as long as the leak is found & fixed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I can very easily answer that for you...they did NOTHING to clean/disinfect it.
Trust me you will know... The stank will come back to life at the 1st signs of new moisture and leaving it parked in the sun with the windows closed. Just takes a little moisture baking in that carpet padding to wake it up.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Today, I pulled the driver's side inner fender liner and isolated a significant leak. Found the body grommet for the fuel door release cable is torn. The tear is difficult to spot and can easily be overlooked or mistaken for a leaking caulk seal.

Afterwards, determined the neck on that grommet wasn't extended correctly (wasn't torn) and causing a distortion, so pulled into place and checked again for fitment which was much better. Decided to goop the entire area including filling the salt-trap valley behind the factory sealant with elastomeric sealer and hope for the best. That grommet is basically glued in place now with sealer extending up the cable.

One thing to note after tearing this apart, the of placement of these 3 body penetrations and wiring harnesses was a really poor engineering choice. All moisture from above will drain directly over these spots. That's everything coming from the drain slots near the rear window and the front lower bed drain holes. It would likely be constantly wet. What's that expression... can't fix stupid.

Wood Gas Tints and shades Plumbing Auto part
Automotive tire Grey Automotive design Hood Wood
Automotive tire Auto part Tints and shades Flash photography Cable

·
Registered
283 Posts
Great job! I finally heard today that the body shop resealed the seam, but the dealer doesn't know if they were able to reproduce the leak or if they filled in the moat. When I e-mail the body hop directly all I get is caveman responses: "truck taken apart" "seam resealed" "water test tomorrow"....GGRRR

Did you fill in the channel from side to side, or just that part near the grommets?
Yes, back filled the valley side-to-side in that corner. Was @ 4" long gap then dissipates to none as far as I can see across under the bed floor. I'm still debating top coating that entire seam line with white elastomeric roof coating while I have the fender liner out. For $20 to get a gallon & MacGyver a paint brush handle to reach across, it might be cheap insurance.

·
Registered
283 Posts
A quick & simple step I would add to Celltech's test is lift up the rear seat and remove the plastic access panels that are directly underneath the seats. There is one panel for each side. They are held in by plastic pins similar to the sill plates and simply pull straight out to remove. With the panels removed, the backside of the grommet holes can be viewed using a flashlight, look toward the outside cab corners. I was able to easily verify water leaking from around the grommet before it leaked in quantities to reach the carpet padding. Just the quick tip of the day...

·
Registered
283 Posts
This afternoon, water tested the seal work done a few days ago. That area was completely dry so was excited with success.

Then moved the hose to the bed and let it run for several minutes with the front of the truck slightly downhill so that the water was draining through the drilled drains at the forward edge of the bed. That activity was terrible for leaking into the cab through an interior seam at almost floor level. The attached photo shows the visible leak point by pulling back the carpet.

I'm also seeing water running horizontal along the underside sheetmetal that is forward of that long sealed seam where some are hyper-focused. Underneath, I'm looking at a wide open seam that is very suspicious and dripping wet. It's directly forward and above of the fuel tank adjacent to the fuel pump access panel. In fact, the photos show water dripping from the pump access panel, which raises the possibility that seal could be a leak source. I'm thinking that cross seam should likely be sealed but need the truck up on a lift or ramps to get a better view. Most likely the next step is removing the rear seat to check the fuel pump access panel seal. That panel was opened a couple years ago for a recall, odor signs of the leak appeared shortly afterwards.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Light Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Sleeve Finger Denim Rim

1 - 20 of 71 Posts