Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Read Only
1,351 Posts
I realize most people aren't as particular as me and don't mind letting the dealership attempt to take care of the problem.
Funny you say this. I was thinking the other day if I had to take mine in for the fuel pump recall, I'd take out the rear seat and all trim myself as I wouldn't trust the dealership to do it right (they'd probably put a scratch on the sill as they removed it).

· Read Only
1,351 Posts
2019 RTL, our recent trip to Montana, 40 above zero to 20+ below zero. Rain and piled up snow on the vehicle most of the trip, still no water under the carpet!

Honestly folks, if you could poll each and every Ridgeline owner, I would be willing to bet that the number of vehicles actually experiencing water leaks would be minimal to minuscule. :rolleyes:

Bill
And that's based on the fact that yours' doesn't leak? If Bill's doesn't leak neither does anyone else's? All those that actually have a leak are making it up? And you don't think there are a whole lot of people out there that haven't looked so don't know theirs is leaking?

· Read Only
1,351 Posts
Question... Do you think this thing would work? I'm sick of thinking/fretting/being paranoid about "water intrusion". The little sensor part could go under the carpet behind the back passenger seat...and would set off an alarm if water hit it.
water detector, thin sensor.
Looks good, but I'd be a little worried about not noticing the alarm if it went off. If you could hook the alarm up to something like this though, that should do the trick...

· Read Only
1,351 Posts
Well, I checked under my rear carpets and guess what? The driver's side was wet - not dripping wet, but quite damp. The funny thing was, mine is just over 2 years old and has seen a fair bit of rain but there was no odor at all to the water trapped in the carpet.

So I removed the rear seat to try and find out where it was coming from. I had the truck pointed slightly down-hill and ran the hose for a good 20 mins all over the rear window, rear sill and bed. Not a dribble inside the cab or rear window.

Then I inspected the carpet further nearer the rear wall. That was bone dry, which suggested the water couldn't have come in from the rear wall. So after hunting around for another minute or two, the only other obvious place it could have come from is a rubber plug on the floor. So I stuck a hose under the truck, pointing up and there it was - straight into the cab through the rubber plug.

It was fairly obvious the plug was loose fitting, so I removed the plug, added some 3M automotive caulk around the hole, reinserted the plug (nice and tight now) and duck-taped it down. What I suspect happened is I have an under car spray attachment on my pressure washer - when I'd sprayed under there, it must have been enough to lift the plug up and water got into the truck. That's the only reason I can think of for the water being odorless (if it had been road spray, I'm sure it would have smelled).

Anyway, it's all good now. Photo of offending hole and plug - it's located behind the driver's seat, about 1 foot from the door sill and 1 foot from the rear wall:

Automotive tire Grey Material property Gas Rim

· Read Only
1,351 Posts
I believe those "body plugs" are loose for a reason - to prevent water in the areas above them from getting trapped.
Now it's [not loose] for a reason. I don't have any reason to let water out, but I do have a reason to stop it coming in ;)

And apparently, for those that have leaks through the rear wall, they're not that effective at draining it back out :)

Edit: must add, from a practical point of view this can't work as a drain. The foam underneath the carpet is almost an inch thick and just like a sponge. Unless you're pouring gallons of water onto the rear carpet, there's no way it's draining anything - even then I doubt it will drain much as it's like a plug in a plughole.

· Read Only
1,351 Posts
Nothing to suggest the 2022 is any less susceptible than 21s and other earlier years. Some leak and some don't.
There are many small things that occur in a car plant year to year that the consumer doesn't see. Reworking how they seal a seam wouldn't make the cover of Car and Driver.
I'm not saying they can't or shouldn't fix it. Just that there are reports of 2017's, 2018's, 2019's, 2020's, 2021's and 2022's leaking. There is not enough data to show if any one MY is more susceptible than another or what percentage leak. Just that it's been going on for 5+ years (for G2) and no evidence of it having been fixed.

· Read Only
1,351 Posts
Was going over everything when I got home (all in all not horrible, a few scratches and few pieces of plastic that needed snapping back in) and noticed that there are plastic covers on the seat rails for the driver side but not the passenger. I honestly don't remember if both sides should have them or not so thought I would post here. Can anyone let me know if there are in fact covers that are missing?
You're good - they're on the driver's side only.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts