Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
1,172 Posts
The result is water pooling up in the bottom of the trunk. Water somehow collects in the trunk lid (between the two layers) and drips from the area of the lid where interior trunk opening switch is. I had a duffle bag there and it was soaked. When I lift the lid after a rain, water rushes away from you and pours out the back/bottom.

I believe that a loose trunk lid is to blame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since the lid seems to be leaking it’s probably not a missing trunk vent but did you check for this problem? Slide the spare tire back, inspect the passenger side wall and make sure the vent is in place. If missing it will be obvious. Also inspect the gasket and drain holes in the bed that drain the channel around the trunk opening.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Most of the seam sealer is robotically applied. Robots are good with consistency. I've long suspected there is an issue with the dispensing system causing resulting in bubbles or gaps in coverage resulting in water leaks.
My guess is that due to limited access or geometry some of the seams are sealed manually. Water intrusion occurs across all manufacturers but appears HMA is particularly bad at this process step as Pilot, PP and Ody owners are also reporting this issue. Whether it’s a machine or manual process, rear cab wall leaks have been occurring since the 2017 MY. This is an unforced error and it’s very disappointing that Honda has not resolved the problem this late in the 2G run.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Yesterday afternoon I had a follow-up discussion with the Service Manager of my dealership. The use of a tonneau cover was one of his questions. His side discussion with the local Honda field rep indicates a suspected link to tonneau use, and speculating its at least partially from heavier that expected moisture volumes through the drain slots. Thinking about sealing the drain slots on mine until the dealer/Honda calls mine in for repair.
While a tonneau cover may increase the volume of water that enters the cab, it’s not causing the leak. Improperly applied sealant of the weld seams on the rear cab wall has been well documented in this forum. Honda needs to publish a TSB for this problem as they have done for other water leaks in other models.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Hello all. Newbie here. I’m right in the middle of trying to decide between a 2020 Ridgeline Sport AWD with 2800 miles on it and a new 2021 Ranger. The RL wins the practicality test hands down. But I somehow stumbled across this whole leak issue and it’s a bit terrifying. Should I bring this thing home for an overnight test drive and saturate the rear window/front bed area to see what happens??
What is the dealer asking for this used RL? 2021 Sports seem to available and are going for ~$34K. Not sure if any 2020s are left, but If you can find a leftover new 2020, it will be about $32K.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Update: So I got my 21' BE back after being at the dealer for one day. I went there myself today so that they could show me themselves that they couldn't find a leak. The rear seat was removed and some of the carpet lifted. After an hour of hosing it down, it did NOT leak. I was dumbfounded, I couldn't believe it. The foam spot underneath the rear driver's side that was soaked when I first discovered it, was DRY and not wet at all from the hose at the dealer. I ended up taking my BE home and advised the dealer I would be back if i discovered the carpet/foam to be wet again.

Here's the kicker: I did NOT have my tonneau cover on while it was being serviced at the dealer. I now am suspecting that the tonneau may have something to do with my leak. Idk if its from the water gathering on it and forcing more water into the rear cab wall, or the weight of the tonneau on-top of the bed, or what. All i know is, after dousing it in gallons of water at the dealer (minus the tonneau cover), no leak was found. But for the first two months of owning it and having the tonneau on while sitting outside in the rain, I found the foam/carpet to be soaked.

For those of you that has discovered water intrusion, do you guys have a tonneau installed?
Water intrusion can be very dependent on the attitude of the vehicle while it is exposed to rain or water. See post 116 above.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Those were some great pics, but I can't find them, either. It's possible they are gone for good... see posts #295 - #303 here:

The forum's thread merge at the time may have destroyed them.
Go to billmanmotion’s profile and click on media. All the pictures are there.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
I can't blame you RogersRTS - On all of these forum there's examples exactly like you and they just send the vehicle down the road to someone else as a trade in. And then buy another manufacturer. Truth is you could buy another Honda and it would be fine. Sure, it looks like these are leaky devils but we haven't seen the message boards full of leaky Ridgelines. Yes, lately it's been worse than ever before and if you look at any forum's cars and trucks you'd never buy anything made by mankind and would hope that the aliens who visit have better manufacturing. (lol) Truth is you buy what you like and take your chances.

Good luck in the future with whatever you end up with.
Water intrusion is tough to nail down because it is so dependent on environment and the vehicle’s attitude when exposed to rain or water. Given the design, it appears all trucks have a potential to leak. Minor leaks are likely never noticed. It’s only stank or fogged windows that get folks looking for the source. The trucks with major leaks are probably rare and major leak events in those trucks are also rare. The leaks are noticed days after the leak event when stank or fogged up windows prompt a look for a leak. And since major leaks are highly dependent on how the truck sits wrt gravity, they can be very difficult to diagnose. I’m sure the dealers hate this. Not sure they get paid by Honda if they take time trying to confirm a leak and can’t get it to reoccur in the shop.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
I parked my truck nose down in my driveway which is a fairly steep 12% slope and ran a hose in the bed. I crawled under the passenger side of my truck and observed the water flow. I was surprised to see a narrow, steady stream of water wrap around the major pinch weld seam and across the seam of concern. Capillary action sucks it directly across that seam. If I had a water proof go pro I would take a video. Sure glad I have a tonneau cover. No leaks observed in the cabin but the stream of water was crossing at a tight spot of the seam as opposed to a “valley” in the lower sheet metal. Like bluegrass said above, need something to break the capillary action as water flows off that pinch weld.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
I believe that this is the first time we've seen this theory (although I didn't go back and re-read the entire reply chain.) But, I would give this idea some credence since it sounds like the tech really wanted to solve the mystery rather than just 'get it out the door.'
There have been reported leaks at the roof rail and at the brake light trim fasteners above the rear window. These typically show up as wet headliners or leaks running down the rear glass. I guess it’s possible, if the truck is sitting at the right angle, for a leak to run down the c pillar and onto the rear floor without showing other leak symptoms.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
My own RL is currently at the dealer for this problem, which presume by now is disassembled and inspected by representatives being sent in from Honda (or that was the plan). The major hold-up was being too old to still be covered under the basic factory warranty. So who is paying the bill??? The cost of repairs are potentially so high that the dealership's service dept could not provide an estimate in good faith. They were also up-front that they didn't want to touch this problem because Honda burned them severely on the warranty labor reimbursement on their previous case. In my case, the truck is now being inspected/repaired only after some leveraging via contacting the owner of the dealership and Honda.

Oh yeah, reminded them of that same concern about being invested in a product that is not meeting quality expectations from past experiences, and that situations such as this have intrinsic properties which transcend a written warranty. Thus far they seem to be listening and making a good faith effort to make this right.
In an earlier post you said you had fixed your problem. Is it leaking again?

Thus far I'm still dry following that seal up job underneath. I intentionally left it parked out in heavy rain. The new wetness problem was the front seal of the trifecta tonneau was allowing drainage down the bed headboard. Unplugged the 2 drainage slots near the rear window and repositioned the tonneau that seems to help with water getting past the tonneau seal. So far so good...

· Registered
1,172 Posts
The 2nd business week with my truck at the dealership for diagnosis and repair is coming to a close. Their tech called me a few days ago to discuss that it leaked significantly with Honda's reps watching, and the general consensus it's from points higher on the truck body and likely the passenger side based on the water flow patterns observed inside. His own hunch (and speculative/unconfirmed) are from sealed body seams that are concealed behind the headboard of the bed and/or the seal on the lower lip of the rear window. The fact that it's an RTS (so no moonroof drains, no sliding rear window, no wire harnesses to bed accessories) helps narrow the suspect entry points.
I’m surprised they are doing this investigation on a truck that is outside of the warranty period. This issue must be getting a lot of attention at Honda. Maybe using your case to help develop a TSB?

Reactions: Sparkland

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Bought a 2021 Sport less than 2 months ago (1800 miles) and after yesterday's rain storm ran my hand under carpet on drivers side rear and found water and a random screw.
Isn’t this the 3rd person who has found a random screw under the rear carpet? Wonder if all were assembled on the same shift?

· Registered
1,172 Posts

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Got my truck back... It is still leaking. Washed my truck tonight and water was there again. Gonna look at my options to get rid of this truck. Unfortunate, because I really liked this truck. I have no confidence in it anymore at this point.
If you really like the truck, take it back and get it fixed. It’s frustrating for sure but once the proper seam is sealed you’ll be good to go. The ZF9 speed solves the biggest long term reliability issue with the RL. Get a Pilot or a PP for a loaner this time and enjoy the ride!

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Update on fix attempt #2.

I spoke with the service rep today. She said that they got in touch with Honda who said they did know about a water leak issue and gave them instructions on how to seal the AC condensate line and the bolts that hold the spoiler on (piece that’s over the rear window). They didn’t mention any seems needing sealed apparently though. She said they sealed the ac line and bolts, and re-sealed what they did last time (right side cab corner) out of precaution and will water test it again.

I feel like they’re missing areas. I really don’t think those areas would let that much water inside. The floor was soaked again before I brought it back. Maybe I’m wrong though. She said it could be ready in a few days assuming they don’t find anymore leaking areas. I told her that I don’t want to have to bring it in a third time for this and to do what they can to make sure everything is sealed this time. Unless they find more leaks now and repair them, I don’t think this will be the last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don’t see how the AC condensate drain could cause a wet floor in the back. If it is causing rear floor wetness, the front floor is also soaked. Pretty easy to test the rear spoiler fastener area vs rear bulkhead seam leak. Run a hose at the top of the bed against the rear window. If it leaks it’s not the roof.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
It would be interesting to see how many Ridgeline owners from Canada have found this problem. Maybe it is specific to the Alabama assembly line. There is no way to tell from the survey.
All Ridgelines are assembled in Alabama.

· Registered
1,172 Posts
So, where is this water entering from the outside so to get into these joints?

Bill
The area between the bed and that bulkhead panel is not water tight. The seams in the bulkhead are exposed to water, especially from the bed drain holes. Quick search but I did not find any reports of leaks in 2022 RLs. Any 2022 leaks?

Reactions: DTHughes

· Registered
1,172 Posts
Two so far - one on here and one in a Facebook group.
It would be interesting to know the mfg dates of the 2022 leakers. Just seems like this thread is not nearly as active as when the 2021s hit the streets. Hoping Honda fixed this at the factory.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts