Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
103 Posts
This combined with the overall shortage of vehicles is exactly why i'm putting off buying my new Ridgeline. I've owned many vehicles and not a single one has leaked. Sealant has been around for centuries. It should not be hard to apply correctly. I hope they get this figured out.

Thanks for the heads up.

· Registered
103 Posts
So if you pull the five panels at the back of the cab under the seats and hit it with water that will tell you whether you have a leak or not?

I'll more than likely be purchasing mine early next month and i'd like to get this out of the way when I get home. I don't see them "fixing" this problem at the plant any time soon so I guess i'll take my chances.

· Registered
103 Posts
If you're looking for a good sealer to use for the life of the truck use a product called solar seal. I use it on exterior surfaces on buildings and it's the most impervious stuff I can find. Extremely sticky too it sticks to everything. It comes in a normal caulk tube.

· Registered
103 Posts
I sure hope if there's any silver lining to all of this it's that Honda gets hit with so many water repairs that they once and for all finally fix this problem. I told the dealer who offered to "order" me a ridgeline that I was no longer interested. I can't see spending $44k+ only to have a soaked interior.

Id go ahead and buy one if I knew I could crawl under there and fix it myself proactively but I'm not dropping the gas tank on a brand new truck that's crazy.

· Registered
103 Posts
Being 2021 is it really that hard to build a fairly trouble free truck or car for that matter. Feel like going back to my 1968 Plymouth Belvedere which was trouble free.
No kidding. It's hard to even buy a vehicle without a turbo anymore which i want nothing to do with. They all seem to have issues. Mazda seems to have it pretty solid. Toyota most of the time but even they have some problems with outdated infotainment. I feel like the new Tundra is going to take years to get it ironed out. Crossing the ridgeline off my list i'm 70% at an F-150 next spring. At least I can get a NA V6 with the same or better mpg as the ridgeline. Ride quality won't be as good but I can live with that. Sync 4 seems nice.

If mazda made a unibody truck.. we can only wish.

· Registered
103 Posts
That's interesting it looks like there's a bunch of those push pin holders around the back window each one sealed with sealer when they were put in place. Or maybe they're something else. Either way if that is sealer I could see where even one being compromised would lead to water getting in.

· Registered
103 Posts
So that confirms my suspicion that those grommets are in fact sealed from the factory and can leak. There's a ton of them in the back wall too apparently they hold that trim on that goes around the window.

There's a lot of places that need sealed on that back wall apparently. Most trucks only have what, the window and maybe some vents that need sealed?

· Registered
103 Posts
I highly doubt that they would issue a TSB though as this would start a whole big mess. With the material shortages going on regarding carpet and everything else they would be up a creek with so many people bringing in their leaking trucks. I wouldn't be surprised if they had an internal "memo" about this but nothing more.

· Registered
103 Posts
So im wondering do you get access to fix the sealant from the outside? It appears that you would remove the bed panels to fix this (rear and floor panels) . I guess im confused as to why Honda seems to disassemble the interior back seat area to fix this. Maybe just to get a good view to check for leaks?

· Registered
103 Posts
On post #497 of the interior water leak thread someone stated that when they took their Ridgeline in the technician admitted it was a known problem and well documented by Honda. It would seem they know about it (hard to imagine otherwise) but whether it has made it back to HMA or not is another question. Since the Ridgeline surpassed the Ranger in August sales I would think they would want to pay more attention to getting the problem fixed.

· Registered
103 Posts
I think a majority of the sealer on our Ridgelines is applied by robots but there are some parts that have to be applied by hand. I can't remember exactly which video it was I watched but it was the Lincoln Alabama plant and they were using a handheld sealer device to seal some body seams. That would explain why some leak and some don't. It just depends on who is working that specific day.

That and some of the photos taken by repair techs clearly show exisiting sealer that was applied by hand and not mechanically.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts