Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
Welcome to the u-boat club. Yours sounds like the classic body seam sealing issue on the passenger side. My water was in the middle and Honda says it's a leaking window. It's in the shop still awaiting corporate approval for the repairs.

You are very right about how you might never know it's leaking based on the carpet itself....that foam backing keeps it from wicking up. I would encourage every G2 RL owner to take the time and feel under the carpet...whomever is applying sealant at the plant needs to be "educated".

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
Because of these threads, I checked the rear carpet today and do NOT have any signs of water intrusion (yet). I have WeatherTech floor liners all the way around and there wasn’t any condensation on the bottom of them (again, yet)
You will NOT be able to feel the water on the carpet itself, or see it on the bottom of any mats. The RL has this foam backing on the carpet that keeps it from wicking up. You must get under the carpet to see what is going on. You can easily pull up the door sill plates and reach under...

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
Any updates from those of you that currently have it at the dealer or have had it fixed?
The body shop guys called me and said, "hey...we hear you have some pictures of the leak?". So it turns out they don't know where the leak is (previously reported to be the window seal) and were still waiting for permission from corporate to take the truck apart. I told him about this site and the common leak points, yada, yada.

I am really enjoying looking like a soccer mom driving this loaner '21 Odyssey around. I have not checked it for leaks :ROFLMAO:

And yeah...just how can we get the people in power to learn of this issue? Send the story to Jalopnik?

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
My 2021 is dry, but it doesn't sit outside much. Now I can't get the original fit when trying to snap the molding back in place. It stick up a little near the front and pops in and out when I step on it.
Make sure you didn't tweak the plastic tab clip on the end of the trim. There are like 3 acorn clips in the middle, but those end clips can bend back and not lock into the hole on the adjoining trim. When pulling the trim off don't go gorilla on it once the acorns give way...

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
If the floor is or was recently very wet, you will feel dampness on the carpet. Again, compare the feel up front to the feel in the rear.
I can say that although my foam was pretty wet I didn't feel any moisture on the carpet. I don't know just how much water you need until it finally seeps up through the carpet, but it must be a lot. I would not solely rely on feeling the carpet as a sign of having a leak.

I think the moisture meter could be a great tool if you were methodical and careful about poking the pins around. It's certainly worth a shot...

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
Hello all. Newbie here. I’m right in the middle of trying to decide between a 2020 Ridgeline Sport AWD with 2800 miles on it and a new 2021 Ranger. The RL wins the practicality test hands down. But I somehow stumbled across this whole leak issue and it’s a bit terrifying. Should I bring this thing home for an overnight test drive and saturate the rear window/front bed area to see what happens??
I would...it's not hard to do. Plus you can look for any other possible issues...

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
Every time someone comes on here and says they find water it makes me sick. But until Honda has to spend millions on fixing these trucks the point will never be made. I think it's imperative that every RL owner point their truck downhill, put a hose in the bed and let the water flow. Pull the sills or under seat trim out and see what is going on. I take mine back tomorrow for round 2. If this goes on for 30 days I will lemon it out and figure out what to do next.

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
Without having to initially do these steps are there any early indicators? Such as feeling of dampness in the vehicle, smells, condensation on the windows?
Not really...the carpet has this foam padding underneath that keeps water from wicking up to the surface until there is a ton of it built up. By the time you can smell the mold or see a sauna on the windows I would think it's pretty bad.

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
After watching water run down the inside of the back window on my lemon 2019 Ridgeline, I'll admit I'm as nervous as a whore in church that I'm going to find a leak in my 2021. It's dry so far after a few washes and a couple of rains and is currently sitting outside this week at work while 5-6" of rain is expected. I'll check for water again this weekend.
Try to park it in a downhill position...I have a suspicion that forces more water into the area between the cab and seam sealer...

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
In the first attempt of fixing my leak the dealer let me know they were specifically not replacing the carpet because the foam padding kept it from being damaged. I don't know what steps they took to clean/disinfect it, but it was dry....at least until I washed the truck :p

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
Decided to goop the entire area including filling the salt-trap valley behind the factory sealant with elastomeric sealer and hope for the best. That grommet is basically glued in place now with sealer extending up the cable.
Great job! I finally heard today that the body shop resealed the seam, but the dealer doesn't know if they were able to reproduce the leak or if they filled in the moat. When I e-mail the body hop directly all I get is caveman responses: "truck taken apart" "seam resealed" "water test tomorrow"....GGRRR

Did you fill in the channel from side to side, or just that part near the grommets?

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
A quick & simple step I would add to Celltech's test is lift up the rear seat and remove the plastic access panels that are directly underneath the seats. There is one panel for each side.
I have actually been thinking about saying the under seat panels are perhaps easier to remove than the sill plates and give you better access to the carpet. And for sure it's the way to actually watch for water dripping in as you leak check...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts