Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first posting but have been lurking for a couple of years. I had a 2008 RTX that I traded in for a 2021 Ridgeline Sport back in March. After reading a post on the water intrusion problem I decided to check mine by pulling up the sill plate and checking under the carpeting and found the foam under the carpet soaked on the rear seat on the passenger side. I have it at the dealer at the present time and they’ve ordered new carpeting and removing the rear seats, etc., to try and locate the leak. They claim that they have not seen this problem before on the 2021 Ridgelines and I believe that the reason is because owners don’t realize it’s leaking because you can’t tell by just feeling the top of the carpet, you have to check underneath. I love this truck and it’s my second Ridgeline and feel the dealer will make this right but want to get the word out to other owners of 2021 Ridgelines that aren’t aware of this problem . Hopefully Honda will be made aware of this issue and correct it. My build date by the way is 2/21. Good luck, it’s still a great truck in spite of certain build problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the u-boat club. Yours sounds like the classic body seam sealing issue on the passenger side. My water was in the middle and Honda says it's a leaking window. It's in the shop still awaiting corporate approval for the repairs.

You are very right about how you might never know it's leaking based on the carpet itself....that foam backing keeps it from wicking up. I would encourage every G2 RL owner to take the time and feel under the carpet...whomever is applying sealant at the plant needs to be "educated".
I agree 100%. I showed the service manager the picture of the seam that someone else had posted here concerning the water intrusion and he was legitimately shocked. My Sport has only been there for one day but am hoping there’s not a back order on carpeting, that’s all I need. But he did swear to me that he will make it right like it’s brand new, which it is with only 1400 miles. Again let’s get the word out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like they are doing the right thing. Just need to wait now for them to fix it and hope that its not a reoccurring issue. mine was the same build date
Your post on this is what got me to pull up the sill and check under the carpet in the first place so I want to thank you for that. This is why I decided to post about my problem hoping that other owners of of the 2021’s will see these posts as I did after reading yours. Hopefully I will get good results.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have posted about this issue, do a search but the bottom line is I got two rear windows, three sets of new carpet before the problem was fixed and it wasn't the window. It was the rear passenger corner body panel that wasn't sealed.
As to feeling the wetness from the top, if you have the plastic cargo liner or the weatherproof carpets, you may see condensation on the underside of them after a rain event and after the temps warm up.

If you notice that the morning dew on your windows is on the outside AND the inside of the windshield, you have a wet floor.

Based on the small but nevertheless common leak like this, Honda should issue some sort of TSB.
I have read your posts also, thanks for doing so. I thought that it was coming in through the back window also because the bottom weather stripping looks like it was installed half assed, it actually goes below the glass behind the passenger side. My dealer is removing the back seats and carpeting as we speak and hope they do find where the water is entering. It is very disappointing because my 2008 RTX was still running good with 165,00 miles on it and I spent more money on this 2021 than I ever spent on a vehicle in my life and I am retired. They say you live and learn, I don’t know if that’s true anymore. LOL!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have followed bhom920's water issues and the first thing that I noticed in Chasrob's OP was the same build date of 2/21. Wondering if it is limited to just that month or wider?

Chasrob, I also have that half assed lower weather stripping at the outside lower rear window. I had the dealer swap to black wheels after the purchase and I asked the service writer about it and he quickly said yeah - they are all like that. I do plan on following up again about it but first I will go take a picture of an in stock 2021 (as soon as there are any). My build date is 3/21 but I think that I am definitely going to pull the rear trim after we get some rain again.
I went to a dealer last Sunday and looked at the back window of a 2021 RTL-E in pewter that was a beautiful looking truck and the weather stripping looked like mine which isn’t exactly reassuring. I really love these Ridgelines but the quality control is really lacking in my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm glad I saw your post @Chasrob . Just checked underneath both sides of my rear carpet, and unfortunately found on the driver's side rear foam is soaked after being out in the rain today :( I have a 03/2021 build BE. So disappointed...I guess I'll have to make a trip to the dealer now. Any updates from those of you that currently have it at the dealer or have had it fixed? This is my first brand new vehicle and now I will lose confidence in the life of it.
My Ridgeline has been at the dealer since Tuesday. They took out the seats and carpet and tested again and found the leak coming in through a hole on the back panel on the passenger side. They took pictures and sent them to their warranty rep at Honda and are waiting for them to get back to them. They think it might have to go to an auto body shop for the repair. They ordered carpeting but as I figured they’re back ordered so who knows how long this is going to go on. I haven’t seen where the hole is or saw the pictures but the service manager said it’s not from the seam in the picture that was posted here and that I showed him. I am very disappointed but am still keeping the faith. I had such a good run with my 2008 RTX that once I get straightened out all the current bugs hopefully I will have the same satisfaction. Will keep updating on the results .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
For those of you that have your RL at a dealer for the warranty work or previously had the water intrusion addressed, did your dealer directly work on your leak or was it delegated to an outside shop?

My BE was scheduled at my local dealer today but once I got there, the service advisor told me that their dealer doesn't deal with water leaks and has an outside company that comes in every other week to address leaks. Is this common of most Honda dealers? I'm trying to figure out if I should just find a different Honda dealer to go to. I guess I'm waiting a bit longer until this is addressed. Ugh...
My Ridgeline Sport has been at the dealership since last Tuesday. They sent me pictures and said that the warranty rep at Honda confirmed the warranty job and that they were going to do the repair. The water intrusion was at a seam on the back wall that they said they will have to weld. The pictures indicate that the back seat and carpeting is removed and I know the carpeting is on back order. I haven’t heard from them since yesterday but I am not happy with this situation having the truck for only 2 months and with 1400 miles on the odometer. If anymore problems arise involving the build quality of this truck I’m getting rid of it once and for all and will part ways with Honda. One of the biggest mistakes I have made in some time is trading in my 2008 RTX for this truck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Here’s my update on my 2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport with water intrusion. They dismantled inside the cab, front and rear seats, carpeting, etc., and also most of the panels in the bed. They had the field engineer from Honda there for 2 days and found 2 leaks in the back panel in the cab where they resealed the seam. The service director at the dealership informed me that he has been personally involved in this and that they pressurized the cab and ran water for 7-8 hours and the inside was completely dry when they were done. They’re now starting to put the truck back together and he said they will take their time to ensure that it is reassembled properly and completely detail the truck and that he personally is going to inspect it and test drive the vehicle. It’s been at the dealership for 2 weeks now and I will say the general manager and the service director has called me every other day to keep me updated on the process. I truly think they are trying to do the right thing and I’m still anxious about the reassembly of the cab but I really don’t have much of a choice at this juncture. I only had the truck for 2 months with only 1400 miles on it and I was very happy with this truck minus it not being waterproof. I’m due to pick it up either tomorrow or the next day so wish me luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
How do they "pressurize the cab" ?

Since a cab is not normally pressurized, why would they do that since it seems that a pressurized container would be LESS likely, or impossible, to leak from the outside of the container ? ? ?
I don’t have a clue on how they do it, I wasn’t there. I’m just repeating what I was told by the service director. I have a few questions for him when I pick up my truck so I’ll find out because I’m curious myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts