Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
23,768 Posts
Jeez. Honda REALLY needs to get a handle on these water leaks. This is ridiculous.

Can anyone post some instructions as to how to get under the carpet, to check? I see someone saying you just "pull up the door sills," but that's pretty vague, for someone who has never removed carpeting from a vehicle...

·
Administrator
23,768 Posts
My take-away from a 2nd conversation on Friday with my dealer's service dept over my leaky '17 RL is that Honda basically doesn't reimburse dealers sufficiently to troubleshoot and repair leaks.
Water leaks are covered only by the 3/36 New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Hard to believe Honda corporate offices wouldn't know about this problem and would already have some form of guidance or TSB to manage their warranty claims made by dealers.
Honda most certainly knows about every single water leak that they have to cover under warranty. Until the warranty repair costs exceed the cost to address the issue, it will continue.

·
Administrator
23,768 Posts
When I spoke with Honda Customer support a couple weeks ago, they claim that warranty coverage would be the same as the basic 3/36 at this point in time.
Honda Care coverage is not the same as the 3/36 New Vehicle Limited Warranty and specifically excludes water leaks among other items, but if Honda wants to cover it under goodwill - great! :)

From page 12 of the Honda Care vehicle service contract:

IV. WHAT IS NOT COVERED
[...]
15. Rattles, odors, water leaks, air leaks, wind noise, vibration, deterioration, discoloration, distortion, deformation and/or fading.

·
Administrator
23,768 Posts
I have some inside pull at this dealer. Shouldn’t be an issue to take it home overnight or at least keep it for a day.

Not sure if this matters but it is not at a Honda dealer.
I'd skip both the Ridgeline and the Ranger and sit tight.

1. Ask yourself why someone (present company excluded) would trade in a vehicle that's less than 18 months old and has only 2,800 miles. Maybe they had problems and dumped it. A vehicle that's at least 6 months old with only 2,800 miles? Maybe it spent a lot of time in the shop to have been driven so little.

2. Since the Ridgeline isn't not being sold by a Honda dealer, it can't be sold as Honda Certified Pre-Owned with the 4/48 "bumper-to-bumper" warranty and 7/100 powertrain warranty.

·
Administrator
23,768 Posts
I'd skip both the Ridgeline and the Ranger and sit tight.

1. Ask yourself why someone (present company excluded) would trade in a vehicle that's less than 18 months old and has only 2,800 miles. Maybe they had problems and dumped it. A vehicle that's at least 6 months old with only 2,800 miles? Maybe it spent a lot of time in the shop to have been driven so little.
It was sold in Nov of 2020 to a 70 year old man. The salesman told me why he traded it in but I don’t remember. I’ll have to ask again. I do know he traded it for a Colorado.
Repeated on the passenger side and…reached into soaked foam.
@zroger73 glares at @Starquesbd22 for several minutes with absolutely no emotional expression whatsoever from across the room.

·
Administrator
23,768 Posts
I really like the exterior looks of the Ranger. I'm less impressed with the interior and not convinced that the Ranger's quality is any better than Ridgeline's. As a brand, JD Power ranks Ford slightly better than Honda. As a model, Consumer Reports ranks the Ridgeline's reliability and owner satisfaction higher than the Ranger's.

Quality and reliability aside, the Ridgeline is simply the more "livable" vehicle for daily use unless those daily tasks involve towing and off-roading. The Ranger and every other body-on-frame pickup truck makes lots of sacrifices given what the vast majority of owners actually use them for.

It's too bad the Ridgeline's quality is inconsistent. There really are good ones and there are bad ones - just like there are good and bad Rangers; although, there are probably more bad Rangers. Hopefully, you get a good one!

·
Administrator
23,768 Posts
I know there’s a lot of people in this thread so if this isn’t directed at me, my apologies. But I haven’t bought this RL yet. I’m sure Honda would do something to remedy it if I owned it but I don’t know that they will care as long as it still belongs to the GM dealer.
The vehicle is warranted not to leak for 3 years or 36,000 miles unless it has a salvage title regardless of who owns it. The manufacturer is legally liable for ensuring it does not leak.

·
Administrator
23,768 Posts
Moderator's note: @VJB2, I changed the title of this thread from "Another G2 Water Leak - Let's Take Action!" to "POLL: Have you found water under the carpet in your 2017+ Ridgeline?" in an effort to get more accurate poll numbers. With the original thread title, it was not obvious there was a poll in the thread and it was more likely to be viewed only by those with a water leak causing the poll numbers to be biased toward those with water leaks. With the new thread title, everyone who sees the thread title knows they can vote yes or no.

·
Administrator
23,768 Posts
After watching water run down the inside of the back window on my lemon 2019 Ridgeline, I'll admit I'm as nervous as a whore in church that I'm going to find a leak in my 2021. It's dry so far after a few washes and a couple of rains and is currently sitting outside this week at work while 5-6" of rain is expected. I'll check for water again this weekend.

·
Administrator
23,768 Posts
Thansk I'll do it today. BTW any guess how many 2020-2021 have these issues? All of them?
Who knows? I guarantee it's more common than people realize, though, since the vast majority of owners don't disassemble their vehicles to check for water leaks. They may never be aware of it until electrical problems arise or the floor rusts out. If the vehicle stinks, they'll just cover it up with air freshener and if the windows fog up, they'll just turn on the defogger.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts