Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

21 - 40 of 1004 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Black Edition (Platinum White Pearl)
41 Posts
I'm glad I saw your post @Chasrob . Just checked underneath both sides of my rear carpet, and unfortunately found on the driver's side rear foam is soaked after being out in the rain today :( I have a 03/2021 build BE. So disappointed...I guess I'll have to make a trip to the dealer now. Any updates from those of you that currently have it at the dealer or have had it fixed? This is my first brand new vehicle and now I will lose confidence in the life of it.

·
Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
285 Posts
Can anyone post some instructions as to how to get under the carpet, to check? I see someone saying you just "pull up the door sills," but that's pretty vague, for someone who has never removed carpeting from a vehicle...

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a ‘21 and have water intrusion in the trunk. Going to the dealer for this on Monday (5/10). In light of what’s being discussed here, seems I’ll have to inspect for interior leaks once that issue is resolved.

Thanks for raising awareness here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
24,350 Posts
Jeez. Honda REALLY needs to get a handle on these water leaks. This is ridiculous.

Can anyone post some instructions as to how to get under the carpet, to check? I see someone saying you just "pull up the door sills," but that's pretty vague, for someone who has never removed carpeting from a vehicle...

·
Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
Any updates from those of you that currently have it at the dealer or have had it fixed?
The body shop guys called me and said, "hey...we hear you have some pictures of the leak?". So it turns out they don't know where the leak is (previously reported to be the window seal) and were still waiting for permission from corporate to take the truck apart. I told him about this site and the common leak points, yada, yada.

I am really enjoying looking like a soccer mom driving this loaner '21 Odyssey around. I have not checked it for leaks :ROFLMAO:

And yeah...just how can we get the people in power to learn of this issue? Send the story to Jalopnik?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I'm glad I saw your post @Chasrob . Just checked underneath both sides of my rear carpet, and unfortunately found on the driver's side rear foam is soaked after being out in the rain today :( I have a 03/2021 build BE. So disappointed...I guess I'll have to make a trip to the dealer now. Any updates from those of you that currently have it at the dealer or have had it fixed? This is my first brand new vehicle and now I will lose confidence in the life of it.
My Ridgeline has been at the dealer since Tuesday. They took out the seats and carpet and tested again and found the leak coming in through a hole on the back panel on the passenger side. They took pictures and sent them to their warranty rep at Honda and are waiting for them to get back to them. They think it might have to go to an auto body shop for the repair. They ordered carpeting but as I figured they’re back ordered so who knows how long this is going to go on. I haven’t seen where the hole is or saw the pictures but the service manager said it’s not from the seam in the picture that was posted here and that I showed him. I am very disappointed but am still keeping the faith. I had such a good run with my 2008 RTX that once I get straightened out all the current bugs hopefully I will have the same satisfaction. Will keep updating on the results .

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E - MSM
90 Posts
I have a ‘21 and have water intrusion in the trunk. Going to the dealer for this on Monday (5/10). In light of what’s being discussed here, seems I’ll have to inspect for interior leaks once that issue is resolved.

Thanks for raising awareness here.

Hey LateApex, can you share what water intrusion in the trunk looks like? I thought that the drainage system around the trunk seal looked pretty extensive and I thought to myself, there is no way that water could get through that. Thanks.

·
Registered
2021 Black Edition (Platinum White Pearl)
41 Posts
yes doing that is pretty easy as I figured that out the other day. Now in my case, lifting that sill off still didn't allow much access to allow you to lift the carpet very much, so I'm going to assume if it's leaking and wet it's pretty obvious...
It does take a little effort to get underneath the carpet. But mine wasn't as obvious as you would expect it to be. You really have to get your hand under there. I didn't notice it at first but the further I reached in, the more water I could feel in the foam.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,858 Posts
Honda just keeps shooting themselves in the foot, by not addressing these water issues. No one wants to be driving around, essentially in a bathtub.

Reactions: zroger73

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hey LateApex, can you share what water intrusion in the trunk looks like? I thought that the drainage system around the trunk seal looked pretty extensive and I thought to myself, there is no way that water could get through that. Thanks.
The result is water pooling up in the bottom of the trunk. Water somehow collects in the trunk lid (between the two layers) and drips from the area of the lid where interior trunk opening switch is. I had a duffle bag there and it was soaked. When I lift the lid after a rain, water rushes away from you and pours out the back/bottom.

I believe that a loose trunk lid is to blame.

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E - MSM
90 Posts
I am going to be in that area once we get some dry weather to install some extra LEDs for when I open the trunk with the tonneau cover still closed. I will keep an eye out for evidence of water intrusion. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2021 RTL-E
409 Posts
You will NOT be able to feel the water on the carpet itself, or see it on the bottom of any mats. The RL has this foam backing on the carpet that keeps it from wicking up. You must get under the carpet to see what is going on. You can easily pull up the door sill plates and reach under...
I removed the rear door sills and ran my hand as far under the carpet as I could — dry as a bone (so far).

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
1,039 Posts
The result is water pooling up in the bottom of the trunk. Water somehow collects in the trunk lid (between the two layers) and drips from the area of the lid where interior trunk opening switch is. I had a duffle bag there and it was soaked. When I lift the lid after a rain, water rushes away from you and pours out the back/bottom.

I believe that a loose trunk lid is to blame.

Since the lid seems to be leaking it’s probably not a missing trunk vent but did you check for this problem? Slide the spare tire back, inspect the passenger side wall and make sure the vent is in place. If missing it will be obvious. Also inspect the gasket and drain holes in the bed that drain the channel around the trunk opening.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTL-T
7 Posts
Hi all. I know there are a few threads on here about this topic, but each one varies a little it seems. I wanted to start a new one trying to get a feel for just how many G2 Ridge's are affected by the sloppy sealing. I have a feeling a lot more people have the issue, but just don't realize it yet. So I'd like to ask as many of you as possible who have a 2017+ to just check under their rear floors and post if you have moisture under them. It's crazy easy - just pop the plastic cover off that you step over as you get into the rear (simple plastic tabs hold it down), and slide your hand under the carpet on each side of the rear flooring.

I'm asking people to do this because I just bought a used 2017 2 weeks ago. Bought it from a dealership, but not a Honda (Chevy actually who took it in on trade). Yesterday I got my Weathertech flooring in and installed them. While I was putting the under seat storage box in I thought it felt a little spongier than I'd expect. Slid my hand under and voila - the entire rear of my truck was SOAKED. Like totally soaked - not jus a little wet. But it didn't come through the actual carpet yet, so I never would have known had I not dug under there.

I googled and found this forum (amazing site BTW), and started reading threads. When I bought the vehicle I went through it pretty well. There was zero mildew smell, the floors weren't wet, etc. Carfax reported nothing about it being into the shop for leaks, and the previous owner definitely maintained it well based on service history. Dealership I bought it from is reputable in the area, and swears they knew nothing about the leak or else they wouldn't have re-sold it on their lot. I tend to believe them based on a discussion I had yesterday. They're going to help me try and diagnose - hopefully with a discount on the labor.

I can't tell you how much I LOVE this truck - I've done nothing but rave about it since I got it. My buddies all drive full size, as did I before I bought it. They love to give me a hard time about it not being a real truck, and I give it right back to them as they absolutely never use theirs for anything more that what my Ridge could handle. But this water thing really seems to be a huge issue that Honda hasn't addressed. I'm going to call myself and see if I get anywhere with them - don't expect to at all but I'm going to try.

The only way this will become a recall though is if enough people report the issue. That's why I'm begging everyone who sees this to check their rear flooring underneath it (got to get your hands underneath as the spongey part of the carpet really absorbs the water well and keeps it from bubbling up to the top carpet). PLEASE - go check and if you find moisture, report here and to your local Honda dealer (or Honda America customer support). Bitch, complain, threaten - whatever you are up for just do it. I have a very strong feeling this is a much larger issue than has been reported, but because the water isn't coming through the carpet, most don't realize it's happening. Again - if we get enough people complaining about it to Honda - maybe down the road they'll issue the recall and we can get reimbursed for out of pocket expenses to have it fixed.

Thanks everyone - love this forum. Love the Ridgeline. Just don't like Honda's response (lack of) so far to this issue.

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
1,039 Posts
Most of the seam sealer is robotically applied. Robots are good with consistency. I've long suspected there is an issue with the dispensing system causing resulting in bubbles or gaps in coverage resulting in water leaks.
My guess is that due to limited access or geometry some of the seams are sealed manually. Water intrusion occurs across all manufacturers but appears HMA is particularly bad at this process step as Pilot, PP and Ody owners are also reporting this issue. Whether it’s a machine or manual process, rear cab wall leaks have been occurring since the 2017 MY. This is an unforced error and it’s very disappointing that Honda has not resolved the problem this late in the 2G run.

21 - 40 of 1004 Posts