Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

401 - 420 of 1011 Posts

· Registered
1,093 Posts
UPDATE: Full rear window replaced which does solve the rear bottom seal for the center slider but the usual sloppy job by the glass company my dealer uses. They also hooked up the slider cables out of sequence which caused them to bind up and wreck the cable spool. Going back Monday for that but the motor/cable assembly is cheap if you had to do it out of warranty (about $120).

When reconnecting the cables to the slider, it has to be cycled to full close before connecting. Noted in the service data but I guarantee either the dealer's techs or the glass techs had no idea and messed it up.

Another reason ALL non-warranty work is handled by ME to make sure things are done right.

Once the new window was in, I did what I hope if the final dry out under the rear carpet until my F-150 Lightning is available mid-2022.
UPDATE ON THE UPDATE: After much drama and a month plus of messing around (4 visits to get this done and about 10 days without the G2) the new window is in and the motor/cable for the slider replaced (short version on this: They didn't follow the directions on reattaching the cable to the new slider slots and ended up trashing the original motor and cable - so they had to order a new motor/cable assembly and try again).

Second time was a charm I guess. The usual carnage: broken clips, glass; even broke off the hex head to the screw for my Extang tonneau rail bracket by over torquing it.

I'm 90% sure the window will not leak as the gasket failure was obvious but the seams are still a question TBD later. If any semi-skilled DIYer doesn't think you should do your own maintenance and basic non-warranty repairs, think again as most Honda service depts will prove you are better off doing the work at home.

· Registered
93 Posts
Just dropped off my truck today. Went over everything with the service manager and informed him it is most likely a seam on the back of the cab. This is the first time he has seen this on a Ridgeline but i do live in a dessert climate with low amounts of rain. I will update with the outcome once completed. They have had my truck in before for some body trim replacements and adjustments which they did a good job with. I am hoping for the same results here. We will see 🤞.

· Registered
2020 Sport
301 Posts

Just wondering what it would take and how difficult it would be and what it would entail to tig weld this? Are these areas welded?
Is is accessible by looking underneath the vehicle(doubtful) or would you have to pull off of the box and all the components attached to it?

· Registered
2020 RTL
329 Posts
Just wondering what it would take and how difficult it would be and what it would entail to tig weld this? Are these areas welded?
Is is accessible by looking underneath the vehicle(doubtful) or would you have to pull off of the box and all the components attached to it?
I believe the panels are spot welded and then some of the seams have sealant applied. Tig welding all of it would be a PITA. Need to remove the bed and gas tank to get in there. If I had to do it out of warranty I would just use seam sealant...and lots of it.

· Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
302 Posts
I believe the panels are spot welded and then some of the seams have sealant applied. Tig welding all of it would be a PITA. Need to remove the bed and gas tank to get in there. If I had to do it out of warranty I would just use seam sealant...and lots of it.
Yep, adding more welding is not a good solution. As Celltech noted, use an automotive seam sealer and lots of it. I choose to use a butyl adhesive plastic flashing tape that was designed for installing home windows. Pick a premium tape rated for very low temperatures. I choose to use tape because it can be installed without dropping the fuel tank.

· Registered
353 Posts
Yep, adding more welding is not a good solution. As Celltech noted, use an automotive seam sealer and lots of it. I choose to use a butyl adhesive plastic flashing tape that was designed for installing home windows. Pick a premium tape rated for very low temperatures. I choose to use tape because it can be installed without dropping the fuel tank.
Did you run into any problems with taping a dusty surface (or even worse, greasy)?

· Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
302 Posts
Did you run into any problems with taping a dusty surface (or even worse, greasy)?
Yes, it's important to take the time to wash the surfaces. Those underbody photos in this thread are from my truck. Mine was thoroughly drenched while water testing seams. Then, used spray bottles (detergent water, clean water rinse, and rubbing alcohol) & wiping rags to prep the surfaces before applying tape. However, mine is a low mileage '17 that lives a pampered life and was relatively clean underneath beforehand with minimal corrosion on those seams.

· Registered
95 Posts
My 2021 BE was brand new and had the leak problem from day 1. I’m not sure of the build date but I bought it fresh off of the delivery truck in May. It seems like it’s hit or miss throughout this entire generation. People with 2017’s have reported the problem as well as people with 2021’s. I seriously doubt they finally fixed the problem in the last couple of months. Made in the US ……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Administrator
24,879 Posts
I’m not sure of the build date but I bought it fresh off of the delivery truck in May.
The month and year the vehicle was built is located on the label in the driver's door jamb.

Made in the US ……
The Toyota Corolla and Camry sold in North America, for example, are some of the most reliable vehicles on the market and they're made in the US.

· Registered
26 Posts
They're trained to say that. :)
They said that with mine too. Mine was sent to a body shop and was escalated to Honda Regional manager as to replacing carpet etc... I have a CRV rental from them and it has been over 8 days now. Ugh..... Part of me will be happy to have it fixed and back and part of me wants to look for a different type of truck with that feeling that I just bought a new house that has sprung a leak in the roof. Not fun.

· Registered
95 Posts
The month and year the vehicle was built is located on the label in the driver's door jamb.

The Toyota Corolla and Camry sold in North America, for example, are some of the most reliable vehicles on the market and they're made in the US.
I’m not saying the Ridgeline isn’t or won’t be reliable. And I’m not saying that vehicles made in the US aren’t reliable. I think that people equate “made in the US” with quality workmanship, when that’s just not necessarily true anymore.

I’m just finding it hard to understand how a known multi year problem, that affects a sizable percentage of these vehicles, cannot be solved. This is an especially easy problem to fix too. Most of them seem to not leak. That makes it even more baffling. It’s not a design or material problem, it’s a workmanship problem. Someone or something is not doing what it’s supposed to be doing all the time. It’s not a bad batch from a specific time frame, from a specific plant. It’s from multiple years from this generation, an on going problem. Unless they really just aren’t aware of how widespread it is, or don’t consider it to be a priority. I don’t know.

· Registered
2020 RTL-E
4 Posts
I have a 2/2020 black RTL-E. I read all 21 pages of this thread. Drove the truck in non stop rain for 2+ hours, then parked the vehicle on a down hill so the rain would run toward the front of the box, rained all night. The next day I was nervous to say the least, pulled of the passenger rear door sill trim and placed my hand under the carpet = No Water, not even damp. I even tried the Hamms Beer cardboard trick. Nothing. I went to the drivers side and tried there, same thing, no water.

· Registered
95 Posts
Well I decided to check under the back carpet again today. The floor is soaked again! I’m pissed to say the least. I called the dealer again and they can’t get the truck back in for two weeks! I asked the service advisor again if they’ve had any in for this problem and she stuttered saying not that she knows of but they haven’t sold many 21s. I told her it’s a problem with the 2017’s and up. She said they don’t sell that many Ridgelines lol. This is a big dealership in a very populated and busy area.

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
9,149 Posts
Well I decided to check under the back carpet again today. The floor is soaked again! I’m pissed to say the least. I called the dealer again and they can’t get the truck back in for two weeks! I asked the service advisor again if they’ve had any in for this problem and she stuttered saying not that she knows of but they haven’t sold many 21s. I told her it’s a problem with the 2017’s and up. She said they don’t sell that many Ridgelines lol. This is a big dealership in a very populated and busy area.

Nothing else to say but, Wow! That is terrible. If the dealer won't put you in a different Ridgeline, I would sell the Ridgeline while values are high, and move on to another manufacturer who values quality. Sorry to hear that, @Dkepp. You could also pop in on the Santa Cruz and Maverick forums and put in a "good" word for the Ridgeline.

401 - 420 of 1011 Posts