Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

521 - 540 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Water has been an issue for these 2nd gen Ridgelines. Water in a wiring harness, water from carwashes reacting with the fuel tank, water freezing in the gas filler tube, water getting past door weather stripping due to bumpy welds and water getting into the cab from either the rear window or a body seam in the rear of the cab. No one on here knows failure rate of these issues but Honda has addressed two of them, hopefully there will be more Honda support coming for customers and dealers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I dropped mine off at the dealership last night. They have a nice text/call portal that they set up where I was able to send a video of the leak and pictures. Their service rep has already called and I described the situation. He said they are looking at it and will call me back later. Hope it goes well. Its a 160 mile round trip to the dealer. Definitely don't want to make a bunch of trips and I have already made two now. Was scheduled to go in last week by some kid who didn't understand the labor intensive situation, drove in for a 5:15 appt only to have to turn around and come and go in a week later.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
95 Posts
Water has been an issue for these 2nd gen Ridgelines. Water in a wiring harness, water from carwashes reacting with the fuel tank, water freezing in the gas filler tube, water getting past door weather stripping due to bumpy welds and water getting into the cab from either the rear window or a body seam in the rear of the cab. No one on here knows failure rate of these issues but Honda has addressed two of them, hopefully there will be more Honda support coming for customers and dealers.
Thanks for letting us know about these. What two issues have been addressed?
You would think that all of these quality control issues could/would be?

I dropped mine off at the dealership last night. They have a nice text/call portal that they set up where I was able to send a video of the leak and pictures. Their service rep has already called and I described the situation. He said they are looking at it and will call me back later. Hope it goes well. Its a 160 mile round trip to the dealer. Definitely don't want to make a bunch of trips and I have already made two now. Was scheduled to go in last week by some kid who didn't understand the labor intensive situation, drove in for a 5:15 appt only to have to turn around and come and go in a week later.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got an update from the dealer service rep. He said the were in contact with Honda and their regional rep and working with them on guidance on the problem. He said they broke it all down and applied seam sealer in an area that was lacking. They want to let it cure overnight and test tomorrow before they let me come up and get it. The guy has been very nice and straight forward. I'll make it clear tomorrow that I'll be doing the same test when I get it home and want them to be sure it's fixed so I don't have to make another 160 mile round trip. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2020 RTL
187 Posts
He said they broke it all down and applied seam sealer in an area that was lacking.
Man...make them send you pics of this "lacking" area. If it were me I would have them sealing the crap out of everything, based on what we have learned so far.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Had a chance to test for leaks at different nose-down attitudes. Spraying down the rear bed with a 3.5 degree downward tilt (as measured using the top of the bed sides) did not result in a leak. However, after repositioning the truck so that it read 6.0 degrees, and spraying in the same manner, a leak manifested itself: appearing to come out of the vertical seams nearest the cab vents. It seems very finicky: an exact incline is needed for water to flow in such a manner that intrudes the cab. Could only get water to come through the passenger side, but could see how it could run down a channel to the driver's side, once it has penetrated the cab.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just got an update. Rep just called to assure me they haven't taken my truck hostage. They think they have it fixed and are testing as its all tore apart. Honda rep is coming to the dealership tomorrow to photograph and document it all so it can be sent to the factory as the rep acknowledged they have seen a few before. I should know something more tomorrow. I told them I'm fine with them keeping a few extra days, I just didn't want to drive it 80 miles home and do my test only to find that it still leaked. He was in agreement. Will see but it seems like they are taking the right approach.

Also going to try to send me a couple of pics through their system.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So after about another three weeks of being at the dealer I’m finally picking it up today. Hopefully….
It was supposed to be done yesterday but they supposedly found another small leak after this storm so they sealed it. This is after they already water tested it and found no more leaks. I’m not confident that this is the last of this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
The factory rep was at the shop today and gave the seal of approval after testing. They are putting it all back together tomorrow. Fingers crossed I don't find anything when I get it home.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For me the dealer is awaiting arrival of the proper sealant, and will attempt the patch/fix then. If possible, test it with different nose-down angles as the water's path seems to vary if the vehicle is level. Interesting to see if this latest cohort of dealer fixes (which are all sealant based) is effective.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I tested downward, down and left, down and right. It never did leak on the driver side when testing or from the downpour that soaked the carpet on the passenger side. I'll test it out sometime this weekend.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honda 2019 Ridgeline U-boat Club, dealer had mine for 93 days. Has been pretty much a nightmare. Finally got it back have to check carpet every time it rains, has not been wet since I got it back from dealer. I am thinking about trading mine off for something else. I am not sure if it will leak again or not. They did replace the carpet, but scratched up some of the interior, and some areas on the exterior. runs and drives good lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Honda 2019 Ridgeline U-boat Club, dealer had mine for 93 days. Has been pretty much a nightmare. Finally got it back have to check carpet every time it rains, has not been wet since I got it back from dealer. I am thinking about trading mine off for something else. I am not sure if it will leak again or not. They did replace the carpet, but scratched up some of the interior, and some areas on the exterior. runs and drives good lol.
Wow 93 days. That’s incredible. I will not be bringing it back to this dealer even if I find it’s leaking again. It wouldn’t even have been so frustrating if they would just answer my calls and call me back when they say they were going to. Absolutely awful experience. Also so far I’ve noticed that the driver side seat adjustment button now sticks after picking it up. Awesome…. I’m so sick of Honda and this dealer at this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
not a good experience for sure, took it in 3 different times for water leak, first time dealer told me they could not find a leak and that I had probably left the window down. they had it for a few days the first time. 2nd time they could not find a leak and sent it to a body shop for them to check it, body shop seam sealed it in the rear, had it for 40 days. I got it back and it leaked again, took it back to dealer 3rd time they sent it back to body shop, and they seam seal another area in the rear, had it for 53 days, i think they have it fixed now, but I have to check it every time it rains. dealer replaced carpet after the 3rd time, after I called Honda Corporate. I am still trying to talk with Honda Corporate about my case to get compensation from them, they do not return calls to well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
not a good experience for sure, took it in 3 different times for water leak, first time dealer told me they could not find a leak and that I had probably left the window down. they had it for a few days the first time. 2nd time they could not find a leak and sent it to a body shop for them to check it, body shop seam sealed it in the rear, had it for 40 days. I got it back and it leaked again, took it back to dealer 3rd time they sent it back to body shop, and they seam seal another area in the rear, had it for 53 days, i think they have it fixed now, but I have to check it every time it rains. dealer replaced carpet after the 3rd time, after I called Honda Corporate. I am still trying to talk with Honda Corporate about my case to get compensation from them, they do not return calls to well.
Yeah I called Honda after the second time I brought it to the dealer. I have a case number that someone was supposed to “review” and they’d call me. I’m still waiting. I tried calling again a couple of weeks ago and they said someone named Brittany would call me. Nope…. This is what makes it so frustrating. I’ve never had problems like this with Subaru or Toyota or any of the dealers I’ve used before.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sold my leaking 2021. Honda said it is fixed after the second repair but I never checked to verify. Take advantage of the current market if you can. I doubt the long term reliability of these leak repairs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Got it home and confirmed that I cannot get it to leak anymore. All good with the exception of the rear molding on the wheel well being scuffed up now. I expect them to replace that or send me the part so I can put it on myself.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
251 Posts
Got it home and confirmed that I cannot get it to leak anymore. All good with the exception of the rear molding on the wheel well being scuffed up now. I expect them to replace that or send me the part so I can put it on myself.
View attachment 417082
View attachment 417083
That location description on the service write-up is exactly where the leak on mine was found (and my dealer's other customer with same problem). Note the outer fender must be removed to access the site, which is time consuming and labor intensive because the inner bed panels along with the rear bumper need to be removed.

Also notice the authorized reimbursement hours (7.8) from Honda. The dealer likely has several times that amount in shop hours. That's why these dealers don't want to get involved. Can't cover their costs to fix this correctly while turning away service business where they can turn a profit.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
95 Posts
Wonder if ALL Ridgelines do this? It certainly makes one wonder that they probably do.

Wonder if after-market warranty would cover this?

521 - 540 of 628 Posts