Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

541 - 560 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sport
95 Posts
Even Honda's own Honda Care vehicle service contract doesn't cover water leaks - they're covered for 3/36 then you're on your own.
I bought a extended after market warranty from a dealership and I guess that I would have to look at the exclusions if there are any.
Mine is a 2020 Sport w/17 K on the clock.
I haven't noticed any water but have only washed the RL once and what's worse is I have a big subwoofer box under the back seat.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a extended after market warranty from a dealership and I guess that I would have to look at the exclusions if there are any.
I haven't noticed any water but have only washed the RL once and what's worse is I have a big subwoofer box under the back seat.
You wouldn’t notice it unless you checked under the rear carpet. It’s easy to check. Just pull the door sill trim up and stick your hand under the carpet. No way to feel water on top of the carpet. Some people eventually notice odors but otherwise you’d probably never know there was a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Sport
95 Posts
You wouldn’t notice it unless you checked under the rear carpet. It’s easy to check. Just pull the door sill trim up and stick your hand under the carpet. No way to feel water on top of the carpet. Some people eventually notice odors but otherwise you’d probably never know there was a problem.

Understood.
Have you noticed water under the rug of your's then?
I've washed mine once since I've had it 3.5 months as it sits in the garage and stays mostly clean.

Is the consensus then that "They all do that"?
That's sure what it appears to be.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Understood.
Have you noticed water under the rug of your's then?
I've washed mine once since I've had it 3.5 months as it sits in the garage and stays mostly clean.

Is the consensus then that "They all do that"?
That's sure what it appears to be.
No they don’t all do that. The loaner I had didn’t and of the people who have checked there’s plenty that don’t have the problem.

Mine did leak but hopefully doesn’t anymore. It’s been to the dealer twice for repair. The first time was about a week, second time was three weeks.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
251 Posts
That's the perfect storm scenario for not discovering if a leak exists during the base warranty period. It's the same situation I had with mine. Also, the swampy-musty background odors were apparent long before actually finding moisture in the carpet padding.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
95 Posts
That's the perfect storm scenario for not discovering if a leak exists during the base warranty period. It's the same situation I had with mine. Also, the swampy-musty background odors were apparent long before actually finding moisture in the carpet padding.
Just checked the build date on mine. It was built in 7/20 so barely a year old.

I guess that anyone considering purchasing a RL before inking the deal should tell their dealer their concerns and ask for a test similar to this

Not only that but Honda should come out with a TSB and tell ALL dealers to do this while they remedy (their issue, that they have been side-stepping) that they are passing on to their customers and come up w/a better strategy to address this.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Thanks for letting us know about these. What two issues have been addressed?
You would think that all of these quality control issues could/would be?
The water in the wiring harness was addressed for very early production 2017's.
The water freezing in the fuel filler was addressed with a new design in he 2018 (I think model year). There was a TSB issued for earlier models but apparently dealers would only address it if you had the problem which is ridiculous.

The car wash soap reacting with some part of the top of the fuel tank resulted in some sort of cover that was part of a recall (I believe).

So Honda has addressed 3 (not 2) of the issues. As far as the Ridgeline goes, they also addressed the fuel injectors but not the tailgate harness (which I believe is a large failure problem).
Hopefully, they will address these leaks.

·
Registered
2020 RTL
187 Posts
So after the second “repair” and about a month of total time at the dealership, the leak is still not fixed. I checked this morning and the floor is soaked again!
You would think they would just slather sealant on every seam they could find at this point. Light them up and keep making them spend tons of cash to get it fixed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You would think they would just slather sealant on every seam they could find at this point. Light them up and keep making them spend tons of cash to get it fixed.
I just contacted an attorney. I may need to let them try fixing it again though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The problem is finding another truck. It’s extremely difficult to get new trucks right now in my area. Even used vehicles.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The problem is finding another truck. It’s extremely difficult to get new trucks right now in my area. Even used vehicles.

For sure, the market is crazy right now. I have a Tacoma ordered that was built last Thursday and will be here later this month or the beginning of October. My truck wasn't my daily driver which made this process easier for me. I worked with a Toyota dealership and salesman I have used for a long time. I have always owned Toyota vehicles but decided the Ridgeline seemed like a great truck to move to. I was wrong, worst vehicle purchase I have ever made.

·
Registered
2021 Black Edition (Platinum White Pearl)
38 Posts
Out of curiosity, for those of you with 2021 models, did any of you lose money on selling/trading your RLs? Or did you make back what you paid? I'm starting to ponder whether I should move on from mine as we, even though I love it except for the water intrusion issue.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So after the second “repair” and about a month of total time at the dealership, the leak is still not fixed. I checked this morning and the floor is soaked again!
I have tested my 2021 Ridgeline Sport sitting outside during rainstorms, with the garden hose, driving in the rain, etc., and I have yet to find any infiltrated water, so I believe my Ridgeline does not leak; however, the precautions that I took prior to having any water issues: 1) sealed the open slots at front top bed corners, 2) taped the front 8 innermost bed drain holes closed, 3) installed a tonneau cover, MAY have helped to keep any water from infiltrating the interior ! ! !

The North Mountain soft tonneau does allow a minimal amount of water into the bed (mostly at front below rear window), and a little at the sides; however, the water that does enter into the bed does NOT create any problems with stuff in the trunk (since it remains perfectly sealed & dry), and just a little water at the low bed floor channels allows stuff in plastic crates to remain dry.

I would try the above measures if I found water in the interior of a Ridgeline BEFORE I would take it to a dealer and allow them to touch my vehicle.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have tested my 2021 Ridgeline Sport sitting outside during rainstorms, with the garden hose, driving in the rain, etc., and I have yet to find any infiltrated water, so I believe my Ridgeline does not leak; however, the precautions that I took prior to having any water issues: 1) sealed the open slots at front top bed corners, 2) taped the front 8 innermost bed drain holes closed, 3) installed a tonneau cover, MAY have helped to keep any water from infiltrating the interior ! ! !

The North Mountain soft tonneau does allow a minimal amount of water into the bed (mostly at front below rear window), and a little at the sides; however, the water that does enter into the bed does NOT create any problems with stuff in the trunk (since it remains perfectly sealed & dry), and just a little water at the low bed floor channels allows stuff in plastic crates to remain dry.

I would try the above measures if I found water in the interior of a Ridgeline BEFORE I would take it to a dealer and allow them to touch my vehicle.
The truck should not allow water inside the cab under normal rain storm or washing conditions. Using a bed cover and sealing the drain holes in the bed is not a solution, especially if you don’t want a bed cover on your truck. My vehicle leaked a lot before and after I had a bed cover on it.

According to the dealer, they sealed leaky seams up higher than the bed of the truck as well as below the bed. Including the c pillars and the mounting holes for the spoiler over the back window. They also sealed an ac condensation line. There’s leaks everywhere on my truck apparently. No way did this pass Honda’s water testing before they sent it out. There’s absolutely no way. It’s not just a little bit of water on the floor either. It’s completely soaked again.

If your truck isn’t leaking, then it was probably sealed correctly at the factory in Alabama.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Honda is failing owners on this issue and I am strongly considering selling mine while it still has some value. I fear this is a design flaw. Is it possible that the lack of flying buttress supporting the Gen1 leads to flexing on the Gen2? Perhaps the structural support behind the cab is simply inadequate?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Honda is failing owners on this issue and I am strongly considering selling mine while it still has some value. I fear this is a design flaw. Is it possible that the lack of flying buttress supporting the Gen1 leads to flexing on the Gen2? Perhaps the structural support behind the cab is simply inadequate?
If you are questioning it like I did, this is a good time to get rid of it. Not sure how the market will look in the future, but I took advantage of the current market and got rid of it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I don’t think it has anything to do with the structure of the vehicle. Mine leaked from day 1. Some dealers seem to be able to fix them and some don’t. It just isn’t sealed properly at the factory. Someone had mentioned how Honda boasts about water testing every vehicle before giving it the ok to leave. I believe that’s bullshit. No way that they water tested my truck. Even after two repairs and a month of the dealer having it, the floor was completely soaked (front and back) after one night of rain.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you are questioning it like I did, this is a good time to get rid of it. Not sure how the market will look in the future, but I took advantage of the current market and got rid of it.
The problem is finding another truck to replace the Ridgeline. I’m not sure what dealer lots look like everywhere else, but near me, they’re all very sparse. I was at a different Honda dealer the other day and there were 0 Ridgelines. Some cars but that’s it. This goes for Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, etc dealers. There’s just no trucks for sale around here unless you want to buy used. Even those are slim

541 - 560 of 628 Posts