Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

561 - 580 of 628 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
The problem is finding another truck to replace the Ridgeline. I’m not sure what dealer lots look like everywhere else, but near me, they’re all very sparse. I was at a different Honda dealer the other day and there were 0 Ridgelines. Some cars but that’s it. This goes for Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, etc dealers. There’s just no trucks for sale around here unless you want to buy used. Even those are slim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, finding a new truck is tough in the current market. I had to order one and it is scheduled to be delivered mid October.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Just checked the build date on mine. It was built in 7/20 so barely a year old.

I guess that anyone considering purchasing a RL before inking the deal should tell their dealer their concerns and ask for a test similar to this

Not only that but Honda should come out with a TSB and tell ALL dealers to do this while they remedy (their issue, that they have been side-stepping) that they are passing on to their customers and come up w/a better strategy to address this.

Oh god....thats not what I want to see.....on anyone's truck......

I just cannot believe that this issue still exists four years later, but it seems it does.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Some encouraging news on my specific case. After partnering with the dealer recreate the problem (by bringing my exact hose, my Rhino Ramps so we could incline it to exactly 6 degrees, and lending them my digital level gauge), we were able to recreate the issue and see the water seep through in this location. After a trip to the body shop, some consultation with Honda, and some confusion about how to procure the right 3M sealant (apparently California won't allow it shipped to the state?), it was patched from the inside. After bringing the Ridgeline home and retesting with the same conditions, I could not get it to leak anymore.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grey Automotive lighting

I will keep an eye on this, I've purchased some water detection strips (Cobalt Chloride Test Paper) and will leave them under there, checking every so often. It's a bit disconcerting that this design seems to depend on sealant, however: look at how much is along the back wall... and that is the INTERIOR of the vehicle.

If possible, I would recommend working with your dealer to recreate the issue so you can solve it together. The rear of the "truck" is not hard to disassemble, but you want to have an open view of the back wall while someone is spraying water.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Trunk Motor vehicle

This is my first Honda, but I was very impressed that SF Honda was willing to work with me on this so personally, and just wanted to correct the issue. They were equally confused why they couldn't recreate the problem the first time. Turns out that the pitch of the vehicle made a big difference in my case, and only after running over there, putting the rear on ramps, getting it exactly angled, were we able to recreate the issue, and find the exact spot where we saw droplets coming through.

I'm looking forward to bringing it through the car wash as a final test. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
95 Posts
Some encouraging news on my specific case. After partnering with the dealer recreate the problem (by bringing my exact hose, my Rhino Ramps so we could incline it to exactly 6 degrees, and lending them my digital level gauge), we were able to recreate the issue and see the water seep through in this location. After a trip to the body shop, some consultation with Honda, and some confusion about how to procure the right 3M sealant (apparently California won't allow it shipped to the state?), it was patched from the inside. After bringing the Ridgeline home and retesting with the same conditions, I could not get it to leak anymore.

View attachment 417415 View attachment 417417

I will keep an eye on this, I've purchased some water detection strips (Cobalt Chloride Test Paper) and will leave them under there, checking every so often. It's a bit disconcerting that this design seems to depend on sealant, however: look at how much is along the back wall... and that is the INTERIOR of the vehicle.

If possible, I would recommend working with your dealer to recreate the issue so you can solve it together. The rear of the "truck" is not hard to disassemble, but you want to have an open view of the back wall while someone is spraying water.

View attachment 417419

This is my first Honda, but I was very impressed that SF Honda was willing to work with me on this so personally, and just wanted to correct the issue. They were equally confused why they couldn't recreate the problem the first time. Turns out that the pitch of the vehicle made a big difference in my case, and only after running over there, putting the rear on ramps, getting it exactly angled, were we able to recreate the issue, and find the exact spot where we saw droplets coming through.

I'm looking forward to bringing it through the car wash as a final test. Fingers crossed.
I would think that this is an issue with most R L owners but they are not aware of it.
I'm real sure Honda is aware of it, but for reasons unbeknownst will not address it.

·
Registered
2020 RTL
187 Posts
Very interesting place for the leak to occur...I would not have guessed they leak up that high, although why not! Makes me want to put mine up pretty steep as well and give it a shot. I have checked a few times after pouring rains and have not found anything new.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I would think that this is an issue with most R L owners but they are not aware of it.
I'm real sure Honda is aware of it, but for reasons unbeknownst will not address it.
Reasons are surely the usual ones. $$ and effort required. That's usually where people turn around and start back in the other direction. :whistle:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Going back to the Tacoma which will be the fourth one I have owned. Have never had any major issues with any I have owned, especially no water leaks. While not as comfortable and smooth riding as the Ridgeline, I know them well and have always enjoyed them.
I'm RIGHT there with you, though I've only had one Taco, a 2003 PreRunner. Kept it 19 years (95k mi), except for the paint (clear coat) failing it was perfect the day I sold it. $10k - no kidding, private party. Now I've had my Ridgeline just over a year and have been dealing with the "leak". As of today the dealer has it back, they are going to pull out the ENTIRE headliner and everything else to look for the leak. My RL (RTL-E) has less than 4k mi on it.

Like you, my Taco (and the current ones) was not as comfortable, but I'm looking to get rid of this 'thing', this 'NART'.

Smart move. Until this is sorted out and Honda has shown they have corrected the leaking issue I would avoid the Ridgeline. Unless you can prove with 100% positivity it does not leak. Save yourself the headache. This is definitely my number one when it comes to vehicles I regret purchasing.
EXACTLY. My first ever Honda, and my last. I would not recommend ANYONE buying one.

I have always owned Toyota vehicles but decided the Ridgeline seemed like a great truck to move to. I was wrong, worst vehicle purchase I have ever made.
Me exactly.

I guess that anyone considering purchasing a RL before inking the deal should tell their dealer their concerns....
Best thing to do is NOT consider buying one. I am so disgusted with mine, and then I pop on over here and seem like the problem is rampant.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm RIGHT there with you, though I've only had one Taco, a 2003 PreRunner. Kept it 19 years (95k mi), except for the paint (clear coat) failing it was perfect the day I sold it. $10k - no kidding, private party. Now I've had my Ridgeline just over a year and have been dealing with the "leak". As of today the dealer has it back, they are going to pull out the ENTIRE headliner and everything else to look for the leak. My RL (RTL-E) has less than 4k mi on it.

Like you, my Taco (and the current ones) was not as comfortable, but I'm looking to get rid of this 'thing', this 'NART'.
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I know exactly what you are going through and it is a massive pita. If you can, take advantage of the current market and move on. Of course, the flip side of this market is low vehicle availability. I had to order my Tacoma. It is currently in transit with an eta at the end of this month or early October. Can't wait.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,849 Posts
My neighbor has a <10 year old Tacoma (not the latest generation) that had significant rust on the frame. This was a widespread issue. Some cases they would need to replace the frame, some cases like my neighbor, they applied some sort of treatment to the frame. It didn't give him a warm and fuzzy feeling. He has about 60k miles on it and it has needed driveshaft bearings and exhaust is going.
Continuing water leaks on the GenII are pretty unforgiveable but be careful about putting Toyota up and a pedestal. Particularly since the truck itself isn't even close to the Ridgline in terms of ride, handling, and comfort. The Tacoma's front seats are just awful!. Rear seats are pretty much a joke for adults too. . ..

·
Registered
92 Posts
My neighbor has a <10 year old Tacoma (not the latest generation) that had significant rust on the frame. This was a widespread issue. Some cases they would need to replace the frame, some cases like my neighbor, they applied some sort of treatment to the frame. It didn't give him a warm and fuzzy feeling. He has about 60k miles on it and it has needed driveshaft bearings and exhaust is going.
Continuing water leaks on the GenII are pretty unforgiveable but be careful about putting Toyota up and a pedestal. Particularly since the truck itself isn't even close to the Ridgline in terms of ride, handling, and comfort. The Tacoma's front seats are just awful!. Rear seats are pretty much a joke for adults too. . ..
I agree with you, no truck is perfect.

I will sacrifice some comfort for a vehicle I don't have to check for leaks on a regular basis.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,933 Posts
Thank you for sharing the photos, @sfrl.

·
Super Moderator
2,187 Posts
Those frames were made by Kobi steel in Japan and were known to be bad. I would imagine that if Toyota hadn't agreed to replacements it would have turned into a class action suit. Kobi was screwing all the manufacturers at the time with poor quality steel. Even GM got tied up in it with their junk frames which had to be replaced. (and coated and on and on)

·
Registered
2021 RTL Pewter
26 Posts
Is anyone who had their leaked fixed in the Dallas area? In case my new RTL has an issue so I can take advantage of the dealership that might have the experience…

·
Registered
2020 RTL
187 Posts
Is anyone who had their leaked fixed in the Dallas area?
I am in Dallas and bought my RL from David McDavid in Frisco. As giant as that dealership is they don't have a body shop and send issues to their Acura dealership. If you use them at least they have experience now! Only took 2 tries to fix mine...haha

·
Registered
2021 RTL Pewter
26 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. Did you work with anyone in particular that knows the issue? Where was your leak?

·
Registered
2020 RTL
187 Posts
Tony from Honda and Dennis at the body shop. All Dennis ever said was, "from where the panels come together". I think they kinda shotguned it and just put sealer wherever there was a seam to cover their bases. If you look under my truck it's all over the place...which is fine by me.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Toyota sent a letter to Tacoma owners of 2010 thru 2017 in states that regularly use salt on the roadways. They're required to have their Tacoma frame inspected and treated or they opt out of any future frame replacement. This frame issue has been going on since the 90's. To a lesser degree 4Runners and Tundras have also had rust issues. Some have suspected the C channel frame vs a fully boxed frame. Over 20 years of issues, my guess is cheap hybrid steel is profitable enough for Toyota to live with this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I know exactly what you are going through and it is a massive pita. If you can, take advantage of the current market and move on. Of course, the flip side of this market is low vehicle availability. I had to order my Tacoma. It is currently in transit with an eta at the end of this month or early October. Can't wait.
Well.... See... I paid $47,500 (cost+tax+license+"honda care"). Then I add OEM accessories (roof rails, skidplate, "mudguards", bed extender basket, etc.) AND some aftermarket (Weather Tech stuff), had $1500 work of "Clear Bra" front end protection added, LOMAX tonnear cover, tinted windows, I also replaced the tires and wheels $2300 - ALL of this within just a week of buying the truck.

So.... My total money into it is.... $51,367

I've had the truck now just over a year, and it has less then 4k mi on it.

So the way I see it, Honda built a defective car, the dealer sold me a defective car, and now (so far) the dealer can not fix the defective car. So... Since I believed, "in good faith" that I was buying a new / perfect / free of defects of this magnitude car, that I am due the FULL value of the car - $51k.

And we all know that ain't happening.

If you go buy a toaster and it warms but does not toast your toast, it is defective and you bring it back. They give you another one OR you money back, all of it, including tax.

If you buy a car you are just screwed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well.... See... I paid $47,500 (cost+tax+license+"honda care"). Then I add OEM accessories (roof rails, skidplate, "mudguards", bed extender basket, etc.) AND some aftermarket (Weather Tech stuff), had $1500 work of "Clear Bra" front end protection added, LOMAX tonnear cover, tinted windows, I also replaced the tires and wheels $2300 - ALL of this within just a week of buying the truck.

So.... My total money into it is.... $51,367

I've had the truck now just over a year, and it has less then 4k mi on it.

So the way I see it, Honda built a defective car, the dealer sold me a defective car, and now (so far) the dealer can not fix the defective car. So... Since I believed, "in good faith" that I was buying a new / perfect / free of defects of this magnitude car, that I am due the FULL value of the car - $51k.

And we all know that ain't happening.

If you go buy a toaster and it warms but does not toast your toast, it is defective and you bring it back. They give you another one OR you money back, all of it, including tax.

If you buy a car you are just screwed.
Depending on your state laws you can pursue a buy back/lemon law. Of course this depends on how many attempts and and the length of time they have had your vehicle for repair. Based on what you have stated, it sounds like you have a strong case for a buy back.

You can sell your aftermarket accessories and recover some of your expense with those. You might take a loss on the clear bra and tint. I have a few accessories I purchased and will be listing them soon.

561 - 580 of 628 Posts