Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
I'd caution against these self-repairs for in-warranty vehicles or as a preventive measure. It may be possible to make things worse if you seal up something that's not supposed to be sealed. If the repair isn't successful and the dealer or Honda sees a bunch of sealer smeared everywhere, they might deny the claim.

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
That's a disappointing first post to read, but welcome to the Ridgeline Owners Club, @EvanM!

I admit I'm nervous as a whore in church about this considering my experiences with several Hondas the last few years - especially my 2019 Ridgeline.

My initial checks came back dry, although the driver's side felt suspiciously cool compared to the passenger's side. I'm almost scared to check again after the recent rains. If I can just make it until there are better alternatives to the Ridgeline, I'll feel more relaxed. :)

EDIT: Just checked and still dry at two months and 2,500 miles. 🤞

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
The real question is how did you get a factory tonneau cover!
I placed an order for one through College Hills on April 2 knowing they were on backorder. On April 6, I received an email from College Hills stating that if I provided my VIN, they could expedite one from some reserve stock that Honda had. On April 8, I received confirmation that it was shipping. It arrived in Texas three business days later.

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
I suspect that might be true. My left, rear carpet has felt cooler than the other locations, although I haven't found any liquid water. I've even thought about installing these - however ridiculous it may be to do so in any vehicle more modern than a covered wagon.

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
With all the reported water issues I'm at a loss as to why the respected major car reviewers have nothing about this in their comments or complaints updates. Maybe they should somehow get involved/become aware and report these issues so that Honda and others can react to them. I've searched Edmunds, Motor Trend, Car and Driver, KBB, etc.. and not a peep on the water intrusion. What gives?
Car reviewers who rely on press cars, air fare, hotel, food, drinks, and entertainment paid for by the automakers must be careful not to tip the scales to net-negative reviews or call too much attention to problems else they'll become a liability rather than an asset to the automakers and they'll lose access to all those benefits that are key to their success. They need to keep the reviews "just real enough" to appear credible without being too honest. If reviewers had to rent or buy the cars they review (like Consumer Reports does), you'd see different stories. You'll rarely see reviewers reveal the whole, dirty truth about a vehicle. It's not in the best interest of the major reviewers to start reporting on assembly quality at Honda Manufacturing of Alabama. Now, Consumer Reports may have an interest.

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
You'd do the same thing you'd do for any other warranty repair - take it to the dealer. Your mechanic documenting the issue doesn't accomplish anything. Honda can't fix it, so they'll tell you to take it to a dealer.

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
I’m not sure of the build date but I bought it fresh off of the delivery truck in May.
The month and year the vehicle was built is located on the label in the driver's door jamb.

Made in the US ……
The Toyota Corolla and Camry sold in North America, for example, are some of the most reliable vehicles on the market and they're made in the US.

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
Well I decided to check under the back carpet again today. The floor is soaked again! I’m pissed to say the least.
Sell it to Carvana or Carmax or whoever today then post the VIN on here so we don't inherit the problem. There comes a point when it's better to retain your sanity and move on whether you try your luck with another Ridgeline or something else.

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
It's astonishing to me that after 114 votes we are still running 20+% with leaks. Could it really be that bad for the overall production???
I'm wondering how many members who answered "no" actually looked for water under the carper or simply answered no because there are no obvious signs of water leaks (i.e., fogged interior windows, odor, standing water, etc.).

If I had created the poll, I would have asked, "For those who have checked under the carpets, have you found water?" or added a third option to the poll for "I haven't checked under the carpets for water".

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
I've checked my '21 several times over the first 5,000 miles and a few rain storms and am pleased to report that it's still dry - and I'm very glad because I do not want to deal with two lemons in a row.

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
Was your previous lemon the same truck? What was the process like claiming a lemon law issue? Just curious in case this goes south for me.
2019 Ridgeline. You can read about it here...

·
Administrator
24,242 Posts
Whether or not you get a loaner is up to the dealer - they decide whether or not to offer loaners and who to offer them to. Some dealers offer loaners to anyone while others offer them only if you bought your vehicle from them. Some dealers don't offer any loaners at all. Those that do may require you to wait until one becomes available. You are not entitled to a loaner from Honda unless you have purchased a Honda Care vehicle service contract.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts