Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

741 - 760 of 797 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Need to start blasting the leaking out to the news channels. This is just not a isolated situation and Honda needs to be responsible for their shoddy workmanship. I personally haven't check my truck(2019) for this issue. Mine is garaged and it doesn't rain much in the desert. But it does get washed regularly so I best start checking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bought my 2017 RTL-T in June. We had virtually no rain all summer but Oregon has dumped rain for the past month and a half, especially this past week. Just yesterday I was loading up the back seat area (with the back seats up) and there was literally a puddle of water behind the driver seat in the corner by the door sill. I removed the rubber grommet below that section on the underside of the vehicle and water poured out of it. As I pressed on the carpet from above, water continued to pour out.

I checked the forum here to see all the bad news of this widespread problem. I then popped the door sill from the rear passenger side and found it was super wet there as well. Also, noticed my front driver side floor is soaked, causing the floor mat to be quite wet as well.

Like most on this forum, I love the comfort and versatility of the RL and would hate to get rid of it, but I've already had to replace the transmission, fix the swinging tailgate latch and now have this major problem to deal with... all within 6 months.

I read all 38 pages of posts and maybe I missed it somewhere... My vehicle is well past the warranty period unfortunately. Has anyone had the work done by the dealer out of warranty and can share what their out of pocket cost was? Has anyone had this work done to their satisfaction at a dealership in Oregon or SW Washington? Also, was the rubber grommet / drain hole installed specifically for this problem?

·
Super Moderator
2,333 Posts
Nope, no one has had it done out of warranty. You are gonna be on the hook for it. Especially on a used vehicle. No one will help them out. (unless it turns into a recall of course)

Truthfully though, I'd skip the dealer entirely and would "interview" a couple of body shops in your local area on if they can fix it. Some will tell you forget it and some will say maybe and one shop will say no problem.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nope, no one has had it done out of warranty. You are gonna be on the hook for it. Especially on a used vehicle. No one will help them out. (unless it turns into a recall of course)

Truthfully though, I'd skip the dealer entirely and would "interview" a couple of body shops in your local area on if they can fix it. Some will tell you forget it and some will say maybe and one shop will say no problem.
With all of the nightmare stories from the dealerships, your suggestion sounds like the right one. Did you happen to have any input on that drain hole beneath the foam/carpet behind the driver's side door?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E PACIFIC PEWTER
95 Posts
I have not seen it nor pay attention to their commercial. i am thank you all your postings really help,us about all the function features and work around without read the manual from cover to cover as dislaxis as myself sometimes times I have to read couple of times…
Dropped my RL at local dealer, and mention the competition dealer offers $40/day rental I should take my RL to them , he said no need we‘ll take care of it. Now just have to wait and see.
/

·
Registered
95 Posts
the local service department got back to me: “we have completed the diagnosis and verified the concern. We are making repairs to some body seams. On the cab wall and new carpet has been ordered and should be here tomorrow we should’ve the repaired completed and ready for pick Wednesday. I’ve asked where was the leaks(s) and can the take photos tos post on the RL forum .per technician their is a repair procedure for this concern from Honda”.
cross my fingers.. sound remarkable fast. They have replaced carpet because mildew or they have to rip it apart to get to the back wall. Nevertheless I am optimistic. zroger73 readt to pop the cork.

·
Registered
28 Posts
About 5mo ago, after reading about this issue, I checked under the carpet- soaked left rear. Took it in to dealer and couldn't find a problem. Since the vehicle was purchased used with 5k, I don't know what might have happened before me. So all summer long I kept out of the rain, waiting for a better time and hopefully better Dealer awarenes of the problem. Tech claimed hadn't seen any issues. So a few weeks ago, I left it out in drizzling rain for 2 days- soaked same place. So took it back to dealer on a Sat afternoon and new SA says maybe SR drains- I am not feeling hopeful at that moment. They were aggressive with their investigation and disassembled the rear seat area and acknowledged the problem. It was sent out to local bodysuit for testing and repairs. Glass co called in to reseal rear window and seam sealer on left side. A little over 2 weeks in shops. I will pick it up tomorrow.. Seam sealer application from factory looks like it was done by a Jiffy Lube dropout. So far I am happy with the dealer response. Tomorrow I pick up the truck. First off, I am eager to see if they dried out the carpet or not. At least my RL is in the queue and the dealer seems interested in solving my problem. I will add that the SA offered me a loaner, which I didn't need/ declined.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
222 Posts

I bought a 2020 Sport this past May 2021 and bought the 8 year 80 K warranty after market.
Mine is always garaged too and I hand wash it and since being aware of this "leak" issue check and as of yet have not seen anything but if I do I would choose to utilize the aftermarket warranty and take it to a reputable body shop and educate them on the issue, have them look at the on-line videos and then make the choice of whether or not to take on the challenge, this would be of course after looking at my warranty in depth which in the past has proven to be more flexible.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Will find out tomorrow whether the leaks is fixed. The state from them made me worry “we seal some bodies seams rather than we found the source of the leaks. So I bought 2 pack if these swedish dish clothes and line them on the floor back of cab underneath carpet wait till rain or do another 6 degree water test. So weird,come to the dealership and maybe a handful of new Honda on the lots I am still cross my fingers….
Font Packaging and labeling Publication Carton Book

·
Registered
42 Posts
So that confirms my suspicion that those grommets are in fact sealed from the factory and can leak. There's a ton of them in the back wall too apparently they hold that trim on that goes around the window.

There's a lot of places that need sealed on that back wall apparently. Most trucks only have what, the window and maybe some vents that need sealed?

·
Registered
95 Posts
The grommets how easy /hard to accEd’s to those grommets . How may step to get to them can we get to the grommets ourselves or it professionally require special tools?

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
283 Posts
The grommets how easy /hard to accEd’s to those grommets . How may step to get to them can we get to the grommets ourselves or it professionally require special tools?
Grommets in the rear cab wall are relatively easy to access. Remove the inner fender liners, they are directly toward the front of the truck in front of the liners. Pay close attention to the driver's side fuel access door release cable grommet. Mine was not properly installed, the weather flange was not correctly extended (was turtle-necked) causing a distortion where it seats into the sheetmetal. Mine is also an RTS so none of the passenger side holes are used (has knockout plugs). I taped over the plugs on that side with flashing tape.

·
Registered
95 Posts
got the RL back here is the service reports: unfortunately they’re dings the door silk and going to bring it back in 2 weeks for damage repair with rental car this time .
Font Material property Paper Paper product Document
Automotive lighting Hood Grille Black Automotive tire

Grille Hood Automotive tire Bumper Wood

Font Material property Paper Paper product Document

·
Registered
2020 RTL
222 Posts
Those rear seats are heavy and can flop around. The feet are stupid sharp and will tear everything they touch or drag across. You have to lay down a lot of padding when pulling them.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
222 Posts
Gonna throw these out for good measure:
Honda Ridgeline (2nd Generation) Water Leaks
and

741 - 760 of 797 Posts