Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

61 - 80 of 1004 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
My 2021 is dry, but it doesn't sit outside much. Now I can't get the original fit when trying to snap the molding back in place. It stick up a little near the front and pops in and out when I step on it.

· Registered
2021 Black Edition (Platinum White Pearl)
41 Posts
For those of you that have your RL at a dealer for the warranty work or previously had the water intrusion addressed, did your dealer directly work on your leak or was it delegated to an outside shop?

My BE was scheduled at my local dealer today but once I got there, the service advisor told me that their dealer doesn't deal with water leaks and has an outside company that comes in every other week to address leaks. Is this common of most Honda dealers? I'm trying to figure out if I should just find a different Honda dealer to go to. I guess I'm waiting a bit longer until this is addressed. Ugh...

· Registered
2021 Black Edition (Platinum White Pearl)
41 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but figure I'll ask here too in case one of you can advise...

For those of you that have your RL at a dealer for the warranty work or previously had the water intrusion addressed, did your dealer directly work on your leak or was it delegated to an outside shop?

My BE was scheduled at my local dealer today but once I got there, the service advisor told me that their dealer doesn't deal with water leaks and has an outside company that comes in every other week to address leaks. Is this common of most Honda dealers? I'm trying to figure out if I should just find a different Honda dealer to go to. I guess I'm waiting a bit longer until this is addressed.

· Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
My 2021 is dry, but it doesn't sit outside much. Now I can't get the original fit when trying to snap the molding back in place. It stick up a little near the front and pops in and out when I step on it.
Make sure you didn't tweak the plastic tab clip on the end of the trim. There are like 3 acorn clips in the middle, but those end clips can bend back and not lock into the hole on the adjoining trim. When pulling the trim off don't go gorilla on it once the acorns give way...

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·

My BE was scheduled at my local dealer today but once I got there, the service advisor told me that their dealer doesn't deal with water leaks and has an outside company that comes in every other week to address leaks. Is this common of most Honda dealers? I'm trying to figure out if I should just find a different Honda dealer to go to. I guess I'm waiting a bit longer until this is addressed. Ugh...
My Ridgeline Sport has been at the dealership since last Tuesday. They sent me pictures and said that the warranty rep at Honda confirmed the warranty job and that they were going to do the repair. The water intrusion was at a seam on the back wall that they said they will have to weld. The pictures indicate that the back seat and carpeting is removed and I know the carpeting is on back order. I haven’t heard from them since yesterday but I am not happy with this situation having the truck for only 2 months and with 1400 miles on the odometer. If anymore problems arise involving the build quality of this truck I’m getting rid of it once and for all and will part ways with Honda. One of the biggest mistakes I have made in some time is trading in my 2008 RTX for this truck.

· Registered
54 Posts
you may want to review the lemon laws for your state. There may be some relief there. I also participate in a BMW forum and those guys invoke lemon laws frequently and have had some success with hard to repair problems with the car out of service for extended periods of time in getting the vehicle bought back by BMW.

My Ridgeline Sport has been at the dealership since last Tuesday. They sent me pictures and said that the warranty rep at Honda confirmed the warranty job and that they were going to do the repair. The water intrusion was at a seam on the back wall that they said they will have to weld. The pictures indicate that the back seat and carpeting is removed and I know the carpeting is on back order. I haven’t heard from them since yesterday but I am not happy with this situation having the truck for only 2 months and with 1400 miles on the odometer. If anymore problems arise involving the build quality of this truck I’m getting rid of it once and for all and will part ways with Honda. One of the biggest mistakes I have made in some time is trading in my 2008 RTX for this truck.

· Registered
19 Posts
I checked out my two week old 2021 Sport. Was optimistic when it came up dry on the rear passenger side. Unfortunately there was water, not a lot, but still significant under the seat on the rear passenger side. I stopped in at the dealer today. They had a very good attitude about it and we scheduled them to have it a couple of days next week. I'll let you all know how that goes.

It really soured me at first but I kind of over it. I'm sure it can be solved with a proper effort. Aside from that I am loving the truck and haven't found any other issues at this point.

· Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
302 Posts
Also for the person who asked about smell - all I can tell you is that in the 12 days I had mine, including a long test drive and inspecting the vehicle, I didn't notice any type of smell at all. In fact, the spongey part that was soaked and has now dried out, doesn't appear to have any mold either. Not sure how that's possible, but regardless so far I'm not concerned about mold issues long term as long as I can get the spot fixed that is leaking.
I'm discovering the odor returns with fresh moisture and parking outdoors with the windows closed where the sun heats the interior. The amount of moisture I've found thus far is relatively small and think contamination is isolated to the driver's side rear thus far. The actual new moisture evaporates quickly. There are no visible signs of mold on the under-padding, just the mildew odor. Still believe this level of contamination can be sanitized out of the carpet once the leak is stopped.

· Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
302 Posts
Yes I have a bed cover on mine. In troubleshooting I actually took my cover off yesterday morning. It seemed very well sealed in terms of no water gets into the bed itself. But I'm wondering if its holding a bit more water close to these problem areas and flooding them with more water than what you'd normally get without them. So I'm going to leave mine off for a while and see if my back remains dry. Last night it rained lightly (about a 1/4 inch) and my rear floor was bone dry. We'll see what happens when we get a good heavy rain.
Yesterday afternoon I had a follow-up discussion with the Service Manager of my dealership. The use of a tonneau cover was one of his questions. His side discussion with the local Honda field rep indicates a suspected link to tonneau use, and speculating its at least partially from heavier that expected moisture volumes through the drain slots. Thinking about sealing the drain slots on mine until the dealer/Honda calls mine in for repair.

· Registered
2021 RTL-E - MSM
90 Posts
Yesterday afternoon I had a follow-up discussion with the Service Manager of my dealership. The use of a tonneau cover was one of his questions. His side discussion with the local Honda field rep indicates a suspected link to tonneau use, and speculating its at least partially from heavier that expected moisture volumes through the drain slots. Thinking about sealing the drain slots on mine until the dealer/Honda calls mine in for repair.
Hey RogersRTS, which drain slots are you referring to?

I don’t have any water intrusion but I was planning on sealing up the four bed rail openings (two at the front that meet the back window and two to the sides near the front of the bed). I am trying to keep as much water out of my tonneau as possible and these four slots were next on my to do list. However, with all of the traction on this thread it has me wondering if that may contribute to water inside the rear cab. Thanks

· Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver AWD
1,044 Posts
While a tonneau cover may increase the volume of water that enters the cab, it’s not causing the leak. Improperly applied sealant of the weld seams on the rear cab wall has been well documented in this forum. Honda needs to publish a TSB for this problem as they have done for other water leaks in other models.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hi all. I know there are a few threads on here about this topic, but each one varies a little it seems. I wanted to start a new one trying to get a feel for just how many G2 Ridge's are affected by the sloppy sealing. I have a feeling a lot more people have the issue, but just don't realize it yet. So I'd like to ask as many of you as possible who have a 2017+ to just check under their rear floors and post if you have moisture under them. It's crazy easy - just pop the plastic cover off that you step over as you get into the rear (simple plastic tabs hold it down), and slide your hand under the carpet on each side of the rear flooring.

I'm asking people to do this because I just bought a used 2017 2 weeks ago. Bought it from a dealership, but not a Honda (Chevy actually who took it in on trade). Yesterday I got my Weathertech flooring in and installed them. While I was putting the under seat storage box in I thought it felt a little spongier than I'd expect. Slid my hand under and voila - the entire rear of my truck was SOAKED. Like totally soaked - not jus a little wet. But it didn't come through the actual carpet yet, so I never would have known had I not dug under there.

I googled and found this forum (amazing site BTW), and started reading threads. When I bought the vehicle I went through it pretty well. There was zero mildew smell, the floors weren't wet, etc. Carfax reported nothing about it being into the shop for leaks, and the previous owner definitely maintained it well based on service history. Dealership I bought it from is reputable in the area, and swears they knew nothing about the leak or else they wouldn't have re-sold it on their lot. I tend to believe them based on a discussion I had yesterday. They're going to help me try and diagnose - hopefully with a discount on the labor.

I can't tell you how much I LOVE this truck - I've done nothing but rave about it since I got it. My buddies all drive full size, as did I before I bought it. They love to give me a hard time about it not being a real truck, and I give it right back to them as they absolutely never use theirs for anything more that what my Ridge could handle. But this water thing really seems to be a huge issue that Honda hasn't addressed. I'm going to call myself and see if I get anywhere with them - don't expect to at all but I'm going to try.

The only way this will become a recall though is if enough people report the issue. That's why I'm begging everyone who sees this to check their rear flooring underneath it (got to get your hands underneath as the spongey part of the carpet really absorbs the water well and keeps it from bubbling up to the top carpet). PLEASE - go check and if you find moisture, report here and to your local Honda dealer (or Honda America customer support). Bitch, complain, threaten - whatever you are up for just do it. I have a very strong feeling this is a much larger issue than has been reported, but because the water isn't coming through the carpet, most don't realize it's happening. Again - if we get enough people complaining about it to Honda - maybe down the road they'll issue the recall and we can get reimbursed for out of pocket expenses to have it fixed.

Thanks everyone - love this forum. Love the Ridgeline. Just don't like Honda's response (lack of) so far to this issue.
Had issue with VW in mid 90's was actually coming from windshield seal. Really really hard to find the location. Good luck. I would get it totally dry and then when it rained it took 2-3 days for the water to travel to the low spot. It will take patients to find the location .

· Registered
32 Posts
I agree 100%. I showed the service manager the picture of the seam that someone else had posted here concerning the water intrusion and he was legitimately shocked. My Sport has only been there for one day but am hoping there’s not a back order on carpeting, that’s all I need. But he did swear to me that he will make it right like it’s brand new, which it is with only 1400 miles. Again let’s get the word out.
This is just one more reason I will hang on to my '18 RTL-T just a little bit longer. So sorry you have this problem.

· Registered
31 Posts
Had water leak issue on my G2, took a bath when I traded it in…stupid me. as I recall, it did not have rubber plugs inserts and was missing some type of sealer/glue that was supposed to be added at factory maybe under the bed liner or between the bed liner and the back of the cab. Water would, if I recall correctly they said, get under the be liner then move its way up then under and into the cab. Don’t know, quality control at USA Honda factory seems to be lacking more then it should with Honda it seems to me. Then again, with my two different toyota highlandear hybrids I had/have no issues. Best of luck sorting it out. Any yes, instead of the honda dealer waiting for someone from corporate to come in weeks later they just had some local company come ‘fix’ it is what they told me…used some sort of black stickie gunk believe they said. Some much for Honda service…I have a thread someone with a video you can search for, maybe not the issue you are facing.

· Registered
637 Posts
The truck in the video and everyone who has specified their rear window type all have solid rear windows. I'll ask a different question than asked above--does anyone with the rear window that opens have the leak?

61 - 80 of 1004 Posts