Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

941 - 960 of 1004 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for reminding me to check my 2021 Ridgeline Sport (Oct manufacture date) as it rained a lot last night and I haven't checked for about 3 months. I was a little concerned as no moisture on the inside of the windows but a ton of condensation/fog on the outside I hadn't seen before. But it was very hot and the temp dropped fast with the rain. Took off the side door plastic pieces and gently lifted the carpet; thankfully no water along any of the doors!
Be sure to check the center portion of the carpet. After trying to dry out the carpet in the sun for 2 days, the outer second is dry now. However, the center portion is still saturated with water. I can assume that the leak is occurring in that area.
My truck is not garaged and the first appointment at the dealer is one week away, I placed some towels where I think the leak is coming from.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,834 Posts
We've had a lot of discussion about the inability of the Honda robots to adequately cover the area behind the cab with seam sealer. Maybe they should trade robots with Kia. It seems their robots are programmed to run a beautiful bead of seam sealer on the vehicle. This is a photo underneath the new 2023 Kia Sportage near the bumper. Not my vehicle, for those who were wondering.

Wood Flooring Bumper Tints and shades Gas

Reactions: lionsm13

·
Registered
10 Posts
Apparently this problem has been going on from 2017 and even on the 2022. Why hasn’t Honda do something to resolve the problem
My 2021 went in for water intrusion on Saturday and have not heard from the dealer yet so I’m hoping they’re trying their best. I did submit to them a pretty comprehensive write up and video clips in hopes that will help them to locate the leaks.

·
Registered
‘21 White, BE
154 Posts
Prepare yourself to give up your truck for several days/weeks and multiple tries until they get it sealed. There are several places that water can intrude into the cab on these trucks. Took my dealer two trips and 18 working days to seal mine….

·
Registered
10 Posts
Prepare yourself to give up your truck for several days/weeks and multiple tries until they get it sealed. There are several places that water can intrude into the cab on these trucks. Took my dealer two trips and 18 working days to seal mine….
After 3 days, I got a call saying they cannot locate the leak. They may take it to a body shop for further investigation I hope that happens since I belief it’s beyond what the technician can do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
After 3 days, I got a call saying they cannot locate the leak. They may take it to a body shop for further investigation I hope that happens since I belief it’s beyond what the technician can do.
I assume they're able to replicate the problem though? I had to bring some Rhino Ramps and work with my dealer to help them reproduce the problem, but once they did, it was easier to seal and re-test. I still haven't had a downpour to fully test it (The West is DRY), but after some car washes, fingers crossed, the fix is holding.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E PACIFIC PEWTER
131 Posts
40 plus days for me, last one took 32 days and 2nd Honda manufacture rep. With pressurized bubble wraps 3 sections to find the last leak and has been through several down pouring rains. So far so good .

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
302 Posts
... However, the center portion is still saturated with water. I can assume that the leak is occurring in that area.
No. Please take this advice from someone who has been through the entire ordeal (my stuff is dozens of pages back in this thread). The forward rear seat support that runs across the truck is a giant water distribution tube, complete with foam plugs inserted into each end to stop water from coming out the ends. Water can enter anywhere along the rear cab wall, then migrate forward into that seat riser and exit anywhere along the front edge. The center section being saturated essentially means your truck was probably level side-to-side.

In my own case, several intrusion points were found and sealed, but the primary and more evasive point was very high on the truck's unibody frame. The entry point involves the concealed water channels around the rear windows and how they drain over the unibody frame behind exterior body panels. The actual entry point sealed was the outboard side of unibody joint where the right-hand side truss joins the rear cab wall. The exact same location was found by my dealership on another costumer's truck. To access that point the entire back 1/2 of the truck needs disassembled.

·
Registered
2020 Sport
291 Posts
That would be my choice to begin with is to take it to a competent body shop first, get a price, talk to your warranty company, pay for it yourself out of pocket with a guarantee of payment back to you once work done and then go from there preferably sealing everything.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E PACIFIC PEWTER
131 Posts
My last post was simplified the 4th and final repair it took over 32 days and the RL still leaks , the local Honda service department could not find exactly where the leak(s). Finally with the help of manufacture rep and plastic wrap divide the back cabin wall into 3 sections so they can be airtight for pressurize ( they did 1 section at a time from the top down ) they have videos but I haven’t received it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Had a massive 3+ hour downpour over the weekend...just went outside and found water underneath carpet in the backseat area of my 2018 Ridgeline..

Bought the truck from Carmax, and all vehicles Carmax sells come with a 4 month / 4,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I bought the truck less than 2 months ago, but I've already put nearly 6,000 miles on it. I'm going to drive it over to Carmax and see what they have to say, but I'm not feeling good about this...

·
Registered
22 Ridgeline Touring
250 Posts
Unfortunately I have to join the ranks of the unlucky. While cleaning the truck this weekend, pulled up the Weathertech floormats and the passengers side ones were wet on the back. Checked under the carpet, sure as s#$t, the insulation is soaked the metal was wet. sunaofbeetch, now gotta see what the dealer wants to do about it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This thread has been up for 14+ months now and we still are running a 21% failure rate. It's incredible that the design/build of these truck can be that bad.
I haven't come around in a while and research into something else lured me back here but I see this thread is still going strong so I'll jump in again, lol.

I've said this many times in many different places but I'll say it again. This is a much more common issue than the vast majority realize largely because due to the very nature of it, it can very easily go undetected. Many want to say "if it was that big of an issue, we'd hear more about it" but that's not accurate. It's a hard to detect issue unless you are properly looking for it. Others want to say "if it was that big of an issue, Honda would have fixed it by now." Unfortunately, also not accurate. These specific issues have been going on for 6 model years now, not to mention the gen 1 which had its own water issues. You cannot tell me that this isn't whispered about somewhere in the corporate R&D halls of Honda. They know. They have to know. Why they haven't been able to fix an issue this simple in 6 years is truly a mystery.

All that being said, I absolutely love my 22 RTL that as far as I can tell, doesn't leak. In terms of practicality, comfort, and everyday usability, it's the best vehicle I have ever owned. I hate that some are having to deal with these issues in a vehicle that is otherwise pretty darn awesome.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I haven't come around in a while and research into something else lured me back here but I see this thread is still going strong so I'll jump in again, lol.

I've said this many times in many different places but I'll say it again. This is a much more common issue than the vast majority realize largely because due to the very nature of it, it can very easily go undetected. Many want to say "if it was that big of an issue, we'd hear more about it" but that's not accurate. It's a hard to detect issue unless you are properly looking for it. Others want to say "if it was that big of an issue, Honda would have fixed it by now." Unfortunately, also not accurate. These specific issues have been going on for 6 model years now, not to mention the gen 1 which had its own water issues. You cannot tell me that this isn't whispered about somewhere in the corporate R&D halls of Honda. They know. They have to know. Why they haven't been able to fix an issue this simple in 6 years is truly a mystery.

All that being said, I absolutely love my 22 RTL that as far as I can tell, doesn't leak. In terms of practicality, comfort, and everyday usability, it's the best vehicle I have ever owned. I hate that some are having to deal with these issues in a vehicle that is otherwise pretty darn awesome.
Well said. I completely agree that it’s 100% preventable.

I had the water leak in my 22 BE on day one basically. It took months to get it resolved. Honda corp and the dealer both said they never heard about this problem before. Yeah ok.. Well now they know because I told them about it last year. Calling Honda was no help at all. They never even called me back.

Also, for those of you having trouble getting it repaired by Honda, I strongly encourage you to consult with an attorney that specializes in lemon laws. If you’re in NY, NJ, or Pa, I can recommend the attorney that I used. They were excellent in helping me get the repair done and getting some cash as well, which I wasn’t even expecting. No money out of pocket, and they were paid directly by Honda. If you’d like their info, feel free to message me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

941 - 960 of 1004 Posts