Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

981 - 1000 of 1004 Posts

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,861 Posts
How can Honda not realize the seam behind the cab is still not being sealed by the robots? It seems unconscionable to me, especially since they supposedly have a nice water tunnel.

· Super Moderator
8,861 Posts
isn’t the Hyundai truck and ford maverick also unibody Contruction? If the don’t have water leaks issues (not yet)perhaps Honda needs to learn from them. from these photos, how many layers of sealed from front to back? and the sealed seams appears sealed by robots
View attachment 431018
The seam sealer that I can see on my Kia and my Subaru is applied neatly and with complete coverage. (y)

· Registered
103 Posts
I think a majority of the sealer on our Ridgelines is applied by robots but there are some parts that have to be applied by hand. I can't remember exactly which video it was I watched but it was the Lincoln Alabama plant and they were using a handheld sealer device to seal some body seams. That would explain why some leak and some don't. It just depends on who is working that specific day.

That and some of the photos taken by repair techs clearly show exisiting sealer that was applied by hand and not mechanically.

· Super Moderator
8,861 Posts
I think a majority of the sealer on our Ridgelines is applied by robots but there are some parts that have to be applied by hand. I can't remember exactly which video it was I watched but it was the Lincoln Alabama plant and they were using a handheld sealer device to seal some body seams. That would explain why some leak and some don't. It just depends on who is working that specific day.

That and some of the photos taken by repair techs clearly show existing sealer that was applied by hand and not mechanically.
Honda should stop the production line, and get this problem fixed for it has lingered on way too long. I see that some manufacturers actually include the day of production on the VIN tag. It seems it would be easy to tell who is not performing their job up to quality standards. Would you really want to know that you purchased a vehicle made on either a Friday or Monday?

· Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,743 Posts
There's also the possibility of poor calibration between robots and body structures, as well as bad batches of sealer or even contaminants (or other issues such as temperature and time to cure) on the body that prevent the sealer from adhering properly.

· Super Moderator
8,861 Posts
You also have the big seam under the rear deck behind the seats that has -0- sealer. Once my dealer slathered it with goo my leak stopped.

View attachment 431043
That looks terrible even if it is a hidden area. I would naturally think the rest of the vehicle was poorly assembled if I saw this beforehand.

Reactions: creekstone

· Registered
2020 RTL-E PACIFIC PEWTER
131 Posts
For me , the last time at the dealer after 30 day, they found the leaks l but don’t how to get to the leaks and with the honda manufacture rep help finally fixed. Worry about long term if those sealant dried out and cracks and after warranty run out I SOL. I wish honda will extended the warranty for water leaks problem

· Registered
2 Posts
The location I described is much higher on the frame (not that the location you describe won’t be a source). In fact, I have the seam you described and the adjacent body penetration plugs over-layered with flashing tape. My dealer left those in seals in place and removed the both fenders completely to access the unibody frame adjacent to the upper bed rails. In both cases the had, the left hand side was correctly sealed and the right hand side was completely missed at the factory.

The takeaway is Honda Corp won’t approve a blank check to the dealership to find & fix, and barely covers their mechanic’s labor cost Thus, dealerships do a quickie & obvious easy to see fix and call it resolved until secondary complaints are made.
Do you happen to have any pics of the seams
The location I described is much higher on the frame (not that the location you describe won’t be a source). In fact, I have the seam you described and the adjacent body penetration plugs over-layered with flashing tape. My dealer left those in seals in place and removed the both fenders completely to access the unibody frame adjacent to the upper bed rails. In both cases the had, the left hand side was correctly sealed and the right hand side was completely missed at the factory.

The takeaway is Honda Corp won’t approve a blank check to the dealership to find & fix, and barely covers their mechanic’s labor cost Thus, dealerships do a quickie & obvious easy to see fix and call it resolved until secondary complaints are made.
Do you happen to have any pics of the seams by the upper bed rails? I think my latest leak is in the same area, as well, after applying water to the passenger lower rear window drain hole with the tonneau cover on the truck.

· Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
302 Posts
Do you happen to have any pics of the seams

Do you happen to have any pics of the seams by the upper bed rails? I think my latest leak is in the same area, as well, after applying water to the passenger lower rear window drain hole with the tonneau cover on the truck.
Sorry, no pics of that spot. Just a description from the dealer tech that fixed mine and another truck 2 years newer with an identical leak. I do recall viewing a video where the owner disassembled his out-of-warranty Ridgeline to access the same seam, can't locate the video.

· Registered
94 Posts
Can someone point me to a post in this thread that outlines how to test for this leak? I seem to recall something about parking on an incline. My factory warranty expires in about a month. I already need to take my truck in for wind noise from the front passenger window area. (My wife and I recently took our first extended road trip. My hearing is shot but my wife complained about the noise any time she wasn't driving.)

· Registered
82 Posts
I've owned my RL for about 9 months now and checked it 2-3 times. Last week, we had a day where it poured rain all day. I drove a lot in the rain and the truck sat outside in it for at least a couple hours. I decided I was going to check it one final time. If it was going to leak, it should have been that day. I was very happy to find both sides of the rear carpet completely dry. I am satisfied that I have a non-leaking model, lol. Lord help me if anything happens to this one anytime soon. I would not wish the process of finding one that doesn't leak on anyone. I hate it for you guys that are dealing with this issue.

Complete side note...almost a year ago, I came to this forum and detailed my experience trying to buy a RL that didn't leak. If you missed that thread, the short version is that it took me five, yes five, tries to find one. I went through four 2020+ RLs over a period of a year and found all four of them to be leaking water into the cab. Three I verified personally and the fourth, the owner told me that he checked it and found wet carpets after I shared the issue with him and told him that I would want to inspect for this when I came to see the truck. When I shared my experience here, I essentially got called every brand of Honda-hating, lying, troll that you could possibly imagine and even personally insulted (by a few...not the majority). My point is not to dig up the past but to point out that 9 months later I am a very happy RL owner and I hope my tenure here substantiates my experience trying to buy a RL. I've said it before but I'll say it one more time...

If you are in the market for a RL, educate yourself and be thorough because this is a much wider problem than 95% want to acknowledge. If you are already an owner and just now learning of this, don't bother checking unless you are sure you want to know.

· Registered
4 Posts
I've owned my RL for about 9 months now and checked it 2-3 times. Last week, we had a day where it poured rain all day. I drove a lot in the rain and the truck sat outside in it for at least a couple hours. I decided I was going to check it one final time. If it was going to leak, it should have been that day. I was very happy to find both sides of the rear carpet completely dry. I am satisfied that I have a non-leaking model, lol. Lord help me if anything happens to this one anytime soon. I would not wish the process of finding one that doesn't leak on anyone. I hate it for you guys that are dealing with this issue.

Complete side note...almost a year ago, I came to this forum and detailed my experience trying to buy a RL that didn't leak. If you missed that thread, the short version is that it took me five, yes five, tries to find one. I went through four 2020+ RLs over a period of a year and found all four of them to be leaking water into the cab. Three I verified personally and the fourth, the owner told me that he checked it and found wet carpets after I shared the issue with him and told him that I would want to inspect for this when I came to see the truck. When I shared my experience here, I essentially got called every brand of Honda-hating, lying, troll that you could possibly imagine and even personally insulted (by a few...not the majority). My point is not to dig up the past but to point out that 9 months later I am a very happy RL owner and I hope my tenure here substantiates my experience trying to buy a RL. I've said it before but I'll say it one more time...

If you are in the market for a RL, educate yourself and be thorough because this is a much wider problem than 95% want to acknowledge. If you are already an owner and just now learning of this, don't bother checking unless you are sure you want to know.
Hey I'm curious ... how did you check the new ridgelines on the lot? did you ask them to let you pull the trim up and put your hand under the carpet?

· Registered
4 Posts
That’s what I did. Takes 15 seconds to pop the sill and the seat support receiver or whatever that long plastic piece is that the seat legs drop into.
Thanks man... did you ask up front to do it while they watched? Or were you allowed time alone in the truck? I live in New Orleans and sales people here tag along during test drives. Also wondering if you or anyone used a hose and ramps to get a lean into the cab in order to test. I may buy from a rural dealer where they are more likely to allow a solo test drive.

· Registered
‘21 White, BE
155 Posts
Thanks man... did you ask up front to do it while they watched? Or were you allowed time alone in the truck? I live in New Orleans and sales people here tag along during test drives. Also wondering if you or anyone used a hose and ramps to get a lean into the cab in order to test. I may buy from a rural dealer where they are more likely to allow a solo test drive.
Of course you need to ask. It’s not your truck-yet. I could have did it while on the test drive as I was alone. I imagine if you were polite and asked, they would probably let you get it up on ramps and do the hose test.

981 - 1000 of 1004 Posts