Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Have you found moisture under your rear flooring in your 2017+ Ridgeline?

141 - 160 of 1004 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
302 Posts
Without having to initially do these steps are there any early indicators? Such as feeling of dampness in the vehicle, smells, condensation on the windows?
A nasty swampy odor was the sign I noticed... like what the heck died in here! Had just returned from a 4,500 mile road trip. Looked all over for the lost 3/4-eaten sandwich stuffed under a seat to not find anything. Changed the cabin filter thinking it turned funky. Then wet-shampooed the seats thinking my friend had spilled something. It was the next long trip a year later that I found condensation on the underside of that wonderful Huskey mat in the rear seat area. Once again didn't think much of it, thought was likely sloppy filling the ice chest when leaving the hotel. But no, last thing I would suspect is a leaky rear cab wall.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
302 Posts
I have a tonneau cover and park the truck in the garage.

I'm guessing that even if my truck had faulty seam sealing, that I likely wouldn't have a leaking issue?
Not exactly, leaving it covered/garaged means the seam likely doesn't get challenged to leak. Likely end up like mine where the leak doesn't get readily noticed before the 3/36 warranty expires leading to a 3-way argument between Honda, the dealer, and myself as to responsibility for the problem. Note also that I have 5/60 extended "HondaCare" that is still in effect but doesn't seem to be of any value in this situation.

·
Administrator
24,350 Posts
After watching water run down the inside of the back window on my lemon 2019 Ridgeline, I'll admit I'm as nervous as a whore in church that I'm going to find a leak in my 2021. It's dry so far after a few washes and a couple of rains and is currently sitting outside this week at work while 5-6" of rain is expected. I'll check for water again this weekend.

·
Registered
2020 RTL
303 Posts
After watching water run down the inside of the back window on my lemon 2019 Ridgeline, I'll admit I'm as nervous as a whore in church that I'm going to find a leak in my 2021. It's dry so far after a few washes and a couple of rains and is currently sitting outside this week at work while 5-6" of rain is expected. I'll check for water again this weekend.
Try to park it in a downhill position...I have a suspicion that forces more water into the area between the cab and seam sealer...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a tonneau cover on mine and it is garaged 95% of the time. Carpet was dry. You have to pull the sill plates and check for soaked padding under the carpet. Thanks to zroger for highlighting this issue. Without checking, I could have ended up with a festering problem post warranty. Scheduled for service on Thur. Dang!

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,858 Posts
I checked the carpet/padding after removing the sill plates on both sides, and it was dry (2017).

·
Registered
2021 Black Edition (Platinum White Pearl)
41 Posts
I'm a little annoyed. I dropped mine to a local Honda dealer today for this issue and the service advisor that is assigned to my RL contacted me saying he's not seeing any leaks and can't replicate it after trying to park it in the rain and putting a hose to it. I sent him a link to @Celltech 's video and also the one on YouTube of a maroon 2017 RL showing a leak on the rear passengers side. He said he's going to try to do that and get back with me. I hate that I'M the one guiding the advisor...

·
Registered
958 Posts
I realize most people aren't as particular as me and don't mind letting the dealership attempt to take care of the problem.
But has anyone successfully dealt with these leaks themselves?
If I find a water issue, I couldn't bring myself to let the dealership goons tear apart my truck to find/repair these leaks.

I think I would use a combination of 'Flex Seal' products to fix the issue.
Start with the aerosol Spray product to get deep in the seam, then use the Liquid or Tape products as a second layer of defense.

·
Read Only
1,351 Posts
I realize most people aren't as particular as me and don't mind letting the dealership attempt to take care of the problem.
Funny you say this. I was thinking the other day if I had to take mine in for the fuel pump recall, I'd take out the rear seat and all trim myself as I wouldn't trust the dealership to do it right (they'd probably put a scratch on the sill as they removed it).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Here’s my update on my 2021 Honda Ridgeline Sport with water intrusion. They dismantled inside the cab, front and rear seats, carpeting, etc., and also most of the panels in the bed. They had the field engineer from Honda there for 2 days and found 2 leaks in the back panel in the cab where they resealed the seam. The service director at the dealership informed me that he has been personally involved in this and that they pressurized the cab and ran water for 7-8 hours and the inside was completely dry when they were done. They’re now starting to put the truck back together and he said they will take their time to ensure that it is reassembled properly and completely detail the truck and that he personally is going to inspect it and test drive the vehicle. It’s been at the dealership for 2 weeks now and I will say the general manager and the service director has called me every other day to keep me updated on the process. I truly think they are trying to do the right thing and I’m still anxious about the reassembly of the cab but I really don’t have much of a choice at this juncture. I only had the truck for 2 months with only 1400 miles on it and I was very happy with this truck minus it not being waterproof. I’m due to pick it up either tomorrow or the next day so wish me luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
How do they "pressurize the cab" ?

Since a cab is not normally pressurized, why would they do that since it seems that a pressurized container would be LESS likely, or impossible, to leak from the outside of the container ? ? ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
How do they "pressurize the cab" ?

Since a cab is not normally pressurized, why would they do that since it seems that a pressurized container would be LESS likely, or impossible, to leak from the outside of the container ? ? ?
I don’t have a clue on how they do it, I wasn’t there. I’m just repeating what I was told by the service director. I have a few questions for him when I pick up my truck so I’ll find out because I’m curious myself.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
8,858 Posts
I don’t have a clue on how they do it, I wasn’t there. I’m just repeating what I was told by the service director. I have a few questions for him when I pick up my truck so I’ll find out because I’m curious myself.
Would you have purchased the RL, if you knew it had a leak before you signed the paperwork?

·
Registered
353 Posts
How to find a mysterious leak:
1 Place a large window fan in a window, blowing inward.
2 Seal off as many openings as possible with tape and plastic sheeting.
3 Spray the outside with soapy water.
4 Follow the bubbles.
Yes, it worked for me.
No, it didn't blow the windshield out.

141 - 160 of 1004 Posts